Search for content in message boards

SHERWOOD, St. John, NB

SHERWOOD, St. John, NB

deanna paynton (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2001 8:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jan 2012 10:44PM GMT
Surnames: Sherwood, Griffith
Looking for maiden name of my ggggrandmother, Anne SHERWOOD. Married to Justus SHERWOOD in 1796 in Kings County, NB. She was a widow at the time and is always referred to as "Widow Anne Griffith."

Their children included: Charles Sewell SHERWOOD, Stephen SHERWOOD, Sophia SHERWOOD, Frances Anne SHERWOOD, William Clark SHERWOOD, and Adiah SHERWOOD.

Any descendents of these SHERWOODs left in New Brunswick?

Permelia

Re: SHERWOOD, St. John, NB

John Kingston (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2001 12:13AM GMT
There are many Sherwoods still in New Brunswick, There was even a book put out on the Sherwoods a year or two ago. I;m leaving on vacation in the AM. When I get back I will put some information together for you and a few people that I know can help you.

John Kingston

Posted: 5 Dec 2001 9:12PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2003 1:45AM GMT
Surnames: Sherwood
I'm looking for information on Adaiah Sherwood who, according to the information in his Bible, was born 1768 in New York, and died 1851 in Washington County, Virginia. Some people think he's the son of Isaac Sherwood & Rebecca Buckbee of Haverstraw, Orange County, NY, but no "proof" of this. Need to check the possibility that he was a son of one of the Sherwoods who removed to New Brunswick in early 1780s when the British Army left New York City. Do you have any information on him??

Thanks,

Bob Sherwood

Deanna Paynton (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 2001 9:09PM GMT
I show an Adiah SHERWOOD who was a brother to my Justus. They were the children of Joseph SHERWOOD, Jr. This Adiah (there was more than one) was born in 1745 at New York. He made a Loyalist claim. Memorial 28 Mar 1786 St Johns's Claim: Five horses: cattle: crops, etc. Evidences: Leter 27 Dec. 1786 Hamond River from claimant to Commissioners that he arrived at St. John's Aug 1783.

Also, my gggrandfather was Adiah SHERWOOD. He was born in 1807 in NB, so Adiah is a family name.

Deanna

Posted: 10 Dec 2001 1:16AM GMT
Deanna,

I'm aware of the Adiah Sherwood, born 1745 in New York who filed a loyalist claim on the St John's River in 1786. Believe he also had two children over 10 years of age at the time of arrival in New Brunswick. Can't find any record of the names of these children. My GGGGreat Grandfather spelled his name with a subtle difference. He rendered it "Adaiah" which would have been more true to the biblical rendition, but then spelling wasn't an exact science in the 1700s. Agree that Adaiah is a family name coming from the Rye, New York Sherwoods, but trying to identify this guy's father reliably is really a problem. Never mentioned in his bible who his father & mother were. Odd, don't you think? That's why I'm pursuing the possibility of a loyalist link. His two grandsons who were prominent farmers in Delaware County, Ohio in the 1870s were equally vague about him when they were interviewed for the Centennial History of Delaware County, but then, Tory families wouldn't want to advertize their past. Add to that the fact that his first two sons were born in New York, and he decamps to Washington County,Virginia (a backwater of civilization) in 1795/1796. Curioser and Curioser!

Thank you for your response. If you find any more information about my Adaiah I'd appreciate a note.

Regards,

Bob Sherwood

Posted: 9 Feb 2002 11:22PM GMT
Edited: 18 Apr 2002 8:14PM GMT
My mothers family nane is sherwood. Ihavefamily history dating back to 1600`s when the family left England . went to Massachusetts. One decentant went to new york got married had 4 sons Jonathan Justin Adiah and andrew. they all went to Saint John nb.in1783. My family resided in Hammondvale kings county nb.I have this and more infomation i will be be happy to share. email scooters@sympatico.ca
I live in Ontario canada. hope to hear from you. Nida

Nida Stuart (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2002 1:30AM GMT
Bob,
I don`t have Adiah`s father`s name yet.I have the Sherwoods arriving at Plymouth on Cape Cod Bay Massachusetts from Nottinghamshire England in 1620.Adiah`s father moved toNew york in 1664. He had 4 sons Jonathan, Justis Adiah and Andrew. The moved to Saint John NB in1783 as loyalist.
Jonathan and Adiah returned to the states with all there families ecept Adiah`s daughter Rachel who was married to William Bull.Who are your parents Bob? We are prob. related. My mother`s parents were Inez and Charles Sherwood fron hammondvale Kings County. My maiden name is McGivery. I am going to Saint John in June. There is lots of information down for me. I hope i hav helped . Please email me any time i will answer any questions i can and when i come back will prob have more infro. for you. Nida Stuart. I live in Ontario now.

Posted: 28 Apr 2002 7:02PM GMT
Nida,
My line, so far as I've been able to personally verify, is as follows: Robert Sherwood (Me); Leon Sherwood (Father); Hoy Petty Sherwood (G-Father); George Lewis Sherwood (Gr G-Father); Elder Levi Bishop Sherwood (Gr-Gr G-Father); David Sherwood (Gr-Gr-Gr G-Father); Adaiah Sherwood (Gr-Gr-Gr-Gr- G-Father). Adaiah was born in New York (05 July 1768) and died in Washington County, VA (14 Oct 1851). He married a woman named Catherine (22 November 1792). They had anywhere from 15 to 18 children. He emigrated to Washington County, VA sometime in 1795/1796. He appears in the Washington County, VA. census rolls of 1810 thru 1850. Virginia census data for 1790 and 1800 was destroyed by fire. Adaiah's parentage is a matter of conjecture; however, some (LDS Records) claim he is descended from Isaac Sherwood of Haverstraw District, Orange (later Rockland County), NY. There is no clear, unequivocal evidence of this. The spelling of his name, "Adaiah", as opposed to "Adiah" is found in his Bible which is in the possession of Sherwood descendants in NC. I have a transcript of the Birth/Death/Marriage section from this Bible which provides information on Adaiah and his descendants to his death in 1851. According to some sources, my ancestor, Adaiah, was born in Philipsburgh (Westchester County), NY. His Bible is silent on where he was born or who his parents were; however, the 1850 Census Death Index states that his son Obadiah/Adiah, who died of consumption in December 1850, was born in NY (Adaiah's Bible says his son Obadiah/Adiah was born 20 July 1795). The Adiah you refer to was, I believe, born in 1744 or so in Cortland Manor, NY. Was his father, Stephen (abt 1642 - 1715), who was a son of Thomas (b: 1585/ d: 1655)? Stephen, born near Wethersfield/Fairfield, Connecticut, acquired land about 1674 in the town of Rye, which was then a part of Connecticut. Rye was later incorporated into NY State.
My 4th Gr-Grandfather Adaiah may indeed be descended from the Loyalist Adiah, but I've found nothing confirming this. Hope your visit to Saint John is productive. Please let me know what documentary evidence you find. All descendants of Adaiah who are involved in genealogy research have run into a brick wall concerning unequivocal evidence of his parentage.

By the way, the Compendium of American Genealogy shows that Thomas (1595 - 1655), the first Sherwood in New England, arrived in either Plymouth or Boston on the ship "Francis" from Ipswich in the year 1634. There was another Sherwood, Francis, who arrived in Maryland about 1646. These two Sherwoods were the progenitors of the largest Sherwood branches in America, and New Brunswick today.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bob Sherwood

Pam (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2003 3:24PM GMT
Surnames: Sherwood
I am a descendant to Adiah brother of Justus. I just read your message. It was from a few years ago. I am hoping you still have the same email address. Maybe we could compare notes. Thank you in advance. Pam

deanna (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2003 8:25PM GMT
Email me at deannapay@aol.com and we'll share information.

deanna
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions