Search for content in message boards

Genealogy Research - Lithuania

Genealogy Research - Lithuania

Posted: 5 Jun 2006 1:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hausrath, Kenat, Paul
I am researching German ancestors who came from Lithuania (Kybartai, Kovno, Suwalki) during 1885-1900 timeframe to Cleveland, OH. My efforts to locate LDS church records (Evangelical Lutheran & German Reformed) from these towns has been unsuccessful so far.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has researched this geography and timeframe in Lithuania.
Thanks.

Bill vonReichbauer (E-mail: billvonr@verizon.net)
Researching: HAUSRATH, KENAT, PAUL

Re: Kybartai, Kovno/Kaunas and Suwalki/Suvalkija

Tom (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2006 9:42PM GMT
Kybartai would be in the Suwalky/Suvalkija gubernia (Russian for province).

Are your reference to Kovno/Kaunas and Suwalki/Suvalkija to the specific towns or to the gubernias with the same names?

Tom

Posted: 5 Jun 2006 11:26PM GMT
Surnames: Hausrath, Kenat, Paul
Tom,
That's a good question, & I'm not sure of the answer. I have seen these names listed on passenger manifest and immigration records, but it's not clear which jurisdiction (town or province) is being referenced. Are there any clues on how to differentiate the two?
Bill

Researching: HAUSRATH, KENAT, PAUL

Tom (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2006 4:51PM GMT
One way is to look at other Lithuanians on the manifest and see if they all list Kowno, Vilna, Suwalk as places of residence.

That would give you a good indication they were the gubernias (gub for short in some documents) rather than the cities with the same names.

Tom

Re: Kybartai/Kibarty

Posted: 8 Jan 2007 6:44PM GMT
Hi, Bill.
I also have German ancestors from Kibarty. There is one film of church records from the town held by LDS, starting in 1920s. You might also try church records from nearby Wirballen- it is a larger town and many chr. were done there (my Ggrandmother's brother lists Wirballen as place of birth on his naturalization papers, even though actually born in Kibarty). You might also try looking at records of the town of Eydtkuhnen. Eydtkuhnen, Germany is the town across the bridge from Kibarty, Russia (the narrow river was the border between the two countries). Also keep in mind that Kibarty did not exist until about 1860s. Good luck.

Posted: 8 Jan 2007 11:40PM GMT
Thanks for your response! The LDS Kibarty records post-date my relatives by quite some time (they left in 1885-1900), so I have not looked at the records that begin post-1900. Wirballen and Eydtkuhnen records have proven unsuccessful. Is Suwalki (town or province?) a possibility that I should consider? The bigger question is how did emigrants from this area leave to sail to America? Was it Hamburg? Le Havre? Some other port?
Thanks,
Bill

Posted: 9 Jan 2007 2:07AM GMT
Surnames: Herrmann
Bill,
My GG grandparents listed Riga, Russia (now Latvia) as their last residence on ship manifests and they imm at two seperate times listing Riga on both manifests --August Herrmann in 1898 with his sister, then his wife and kids in 1901. (It is interesting, though, that both groups sailed on the same ship!!- the Patricia.)

I assume they were in Riga because of the town's ports on the Baltic Sea, catching ship to Hamburg, then on to NY. Hamburg is a fair distance from Kibarty and traveling that distance overland was probably too expensive. It is doubtful that the wife & children lived in Riga for the two years between sailings, so stands to reason that this route was a common one from Kibarty.

Regarding church records- Considering that your ancestors were German Russians, do you know how long they were in Russia? Maybe you are not having luck with the records because the family wasn't there very long?? Also, if you haven't done so, consider researching the brothers and sisters of your ancestors if you can find them. The ship manifest for the BROTHER of my August Herrmann's wife lists his German town of birth! as well as his father's name and residence in that same German town!! So, I know that my GG grandmother was only in Kibarty for probably less than 25 years (long enough for her children to be born there, though!).

That being said, checking Suwalki town is not a bad idea, but also consider any close large town (other than Wirballen as you already ruled that out!)
Good luck!
Keri

Re: Wirballen

Posted: 9 Jan 2007 1:43PM GMT
Surnames: Amulis(?), Baltramonaitis, Darlunas/Derliunas, Draugelis, Geguz^is, Grauza, Ilgunas, Karalius, Kartavic^ius, Kliokys/Klokis, Mic^iunas, Moc^kus, Molius^is, Noreika, Pac^esa, Paulauskas, Prasauskas, Puskorius, Sadauskas, Senkus, S^iugz^da/Z^iugz^da, Steponaitis, Volungevic^ius
Bill,

Wirballen is called Virbalis in Lithuanian (present name) and Wierbolowo in Polish. Part of my grandfather's family line was from Virbalis.

The Polish archives in the town of Suwalki, Poland, may have records for this area since all of the villages in question were in the Suvalkija/Suwalki gubernia during the Russian occupation.

Since the villages in question all were within 5 miles of the German/Prussian border (now the border with Russian Kaliningrad), the German ports of Hamburg and Bremen would be good possibilities though my grandfather was from Virbalis and came over to the U.S. via Rotterdam.

His choice of port was interesting in that he lived in Essen Ruhr, Germany for a time (likely earning money for passge to America) and was fluent in German.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tom

Re: Riga

Posted: 9 Jan 2007 7:54PM GMT
Keri,
Sailing from Riga to Hamburg as the first leg of the journey to America makes a lot of sense. Are there/have you seen any sailing records for Riga? Regarding your question re:how long were relatives in Russia, I don't have any definitive information; however, I suspect it was not long as most of the records that I have been able to locate (a few ship manifests, marriage & death certificates) seem to say "Germany" more often than "Russia". I have located several brothers of my great-grandmother whose manifest & immigration papers mention Suwalki, hence my interest in researching these records. All the ancestors who came to the US were good German Lutherans (I have found their names on church rolls in Cleveland, OH where they settled), so I have to believe there are likely to be some church records somewhere in present-day Lithuania/Northeast Poland that will show their presence. My plan now is to continue to enlarge the circle of towns with Protestant church records. Again, thanks for your responses and suggestions!
Bill

Re: Wirballen

Posted: 9 Jan 2007 8:05PM GMT
Tom,
Thanks for your response. I noticed in your surnames listed one that may be of common interest. Please contact me offline at billvonr@verizon.net so that we may discuss. Thanks,
Bill
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions