Search for content in message boards

Capt Ralph McGuire KIA 1943 Philippines

Capt Ralph McGuire KIA 1943 Philippines

Posted: 4 Dec 2009 8:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
My ancestor was KIA while fighting the Japanese in Luzon as a conscripted civilian guerrilla in 1943. He was married to a Mary Kathleen Twohill who was later living in Sydney Australia.
According Capt McGuire's US Army Human Resource Report,
his wife (the women the Army was corresponding with in regard to his remains) was, in 1950:

Mary Kathleen [Twohill] McGuire (widow)
c/o Robin Twohill [her brother]
66 King Street
Sydney, NSW Aust

McGuire started out in the timber business in Seattle, and then went to the Philippines in the late 1920's to continue this work. His son by his first wife, Ralph Jr. was in the Navy during WWII, and then the State Dept., and eventually appointed as a US Ambassador in Africa in the 1970's.

http://www.bataandiary.com/Research.htm

Capt. Charles McGuire was married 1920 in Seattle to Marjorie Wheatly and she went with him to the PI with their young son Ralph (I found ship manifests). Ralph was born in Seattle in 1920, and his daughter Jean was born in Kolambugan, PI. in 1927. Marjorie Wheaton McGuire apparently left with the kids and is listed as divorced on the 1930 Lewiston, MT census in her father's house with the two children Ralph and Jean. This puts the divorce between 1927 and 1930. I would imagine Charles met and married Mary K. Twohill some time between 1930 and 1940 - but where?

I wonder how Charles met Mary Kathleen Twohill?

Did the Twohill family have business in the Philippines?

McGuire was working for the Findlay Millar Timber Company in Kolambugan, Lanao del Norte, PI. from the 1920's up to the early 1940's so he likely met her in the Philippine(?), or maybe McGuire was on business to Australia...

If this rings a bell with anyone, please let me know.

Thanks

Re: Capt Ralph McGuire KIA 1943 Philippines

Posted: 4 Dec 2009 8:39PM GMT
please note, where I wrote "Charles" I meant "Ralph"
Sorry for the confusion (that was his father's name)

Posted: 15 Jun 2010 11:20PM GMT
I'm not sure if this is the same captain who was in Botolan Zambales area in during WW2. My grandfather who was a Gurilla fighter, who served for Captain McGuire. My grandfather died in 1945 afther the war was over. He was staying in our Negrito Viliage in Botolan Zambales. He would stay in and out of the village because the Japanese were looking for him. So my grandfather and the rest of the Gurilla fighters would take him to a hidden jungle. My father seen him in 1943, when he was about 10 years old. My father had seen Captain McGuire riding on a horse on the otherside of the river from our Negrito Village in Zambales. The same year he was captured. My Grandfather was devestated, but he was proud to serve him.

Posted: 15 Jun 2010 11:23PM GMT
I'm not sure if this is the same captain who was in Botolan Zambales area in during WW2. My grandfather who was a Gurilla fighter, who served for Captain McGuire. My grandfather died in 1945 afther the war was over. He was staying in our Negrito Viliage in Botolan Zambales. He would stay in and out of the village because the Japanese were looking for him. So my grandfather and the rest of the Gurilla fighters would take him to a hidden jungle. My father seen him in 1943, when he was about 10 years old. My father had seen Captain McGuire riding on a horse on the otherside of the river from our Negrito Village in Zambales. The same year he was captured. My Grandfather was devestated, but he was proud to serve him.

Posted: 17 Jun 2010 1:55AM GMT
Thank you so much for responding to my post, this is most definitely the same Capt. Ralph McGuire who is buried at American Memorial Cemetery outside of Manila. There is an interesting book called Bataan Diary by Chris Schaefer. I wrote Mr. Schaefer and he helped me order the military records for Capt.McGuire which has quite a lot of detail. I would be glad to share that info if you are interested.
From what I read, Capt. McGuire knew how to use explosives from his work in the timber and mining business, and he put that to good use against the enemy.

http://www.bataandiary.com/index.htm

Regards,
Joe

Posted: 20 Mar 2011 11:12PM GMT
Kathleen was my father's aunty. I will ask my father why Kathleen moved to the Phillipines.

Paul Twohill

Posted: 21 Mar 2011 1:45AM GMT
Greetings Paul,

Thanks so much for responding to my query. I have other posts on this line elsewhere(here are two).

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.twohill/18/mb.ashx
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.asia.philippines.gener...

I am hoping to find the marriage records and any information on Ralph and Kathleen, like how they met, where there any children, photos, etc. Ralph was in the timber business in Mindanao so maybe the Twohills had business there?

Please note, at one point I was posting on "Capt. Charles McGuire" by mistake - I accidentally used Ralph's father's name (duh).

Thanks again.

Joe

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 3:53PM GMT
Hello,
My granduncle John Judge was a civilian miner in the Philippines at the start of the war. He was Irish and not in the US army but, was contracted by General Casey. John was captured and died on the Arisan Maru. His wife Winnie was interned at Santos Tomas. John & Winnie were married on July 4, 1940 in the Philippines. Here is a link for more information on them:

http://www.cnac.org/emilscott/judge01.htm

Have you been able to locate any marriage information? I am searching for theirs and would appreciate some help in finding where to start.
Thanks
Peter

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 12:40AM GMT
Hello Peter,
Thanks for sharing the John Judge story - quite amazing. I have not made any progress on the marriage issue of Capt Ralph McGuire and Miss Twohill. I will alert you if I learn more or locate a data base.
Joe
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions