Search for content in message boards

Surname Search Help

Surname Search Help

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 5:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Zurovetz, Smajstrla, Hrncir
I have traced my ancestrey back to first arrivals in the U.S. I would apppreciate any help in searching for any information on the following individuals. Informations shows they originated from Moravia. Believe all to be Catholic.

First: Bartholemew J. (Possibly Jerome) Zurovetz; Born between 1854 and 1860 (Unsure based on data what is the correct date); Immigrated to the U.S. in 1867/1868; Father was John Zurovetz; no information on mother.

Second: Bart has a brother named Frank Zurovetz born Nov 20, 1854. He would have also immigrated in 1867/1868.
Frank Zurovetz's headstone has the following writing on it..., "Frank, Zurovetz; NAR 20 LISTOPADU 1854, ZEM 5 UNORA 1939; ODPOCINUTI LEHKE DEJ JIM O PANE A SVETLO VECNE AT JIM SVITI".

Third: Agnes (Agness) Smajstrla, born Jul 1865; Immigrated to the U.S. between 1870 and 1882; Father's surname was Smajstrla; Mother's maiden name was Hrncir. She was Bart Zurovetz's wife. They married here in the U.S. in 1884.

Thanks!

Brian

Re: Surname Search Help

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 9:06AM GMT
I think Zurovetz could be an English transcription of Surovec. Nowadays they seem to live mostly in Moravia, but you will have to find out at least approximately where your ancestors came from to be able to learn more about them.

http://www.kdejsme.cz/prijmeni/Surovec%20Surovcov%C3%A1/hust...

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 5:36PM GMT
1. Where in the US did they immigrate to? Immigrants tended to go where others from the same village went, so sometimes researching those folks yields clues. I'm assuming Texas, based on a google search of the name, but an exact town would help.

2. Frank's tombstone: Nar = born (narodil abbreviated) , Listopadu = of November, Zem = died (zemřel abbreviated), Unora = of February. The remaining words are a prayer, similar to "Grant him eternal rest, O Lord." Not significant genealogy-wise. There is no guarantee that 20 Nov 1854 given to you is his birth, because sometimes it was wrong on their baptismal certificate issued when they immigrated, so that's what they went by. But it is probably close. The style of the prayer is quite Catholic.

3. Does anyone have a baptismal certificate or any other documents with Czech writing on them?

4. We have a Hrnčir family in my home county in Kansas, but they arrived after the 1890s. And they phoneticized their spelling, Hrnchir. Agnes Smajstria's origins might not provide a clue to Frank's, as once they got here, the custom of marrying someone from around your village diminished.

Mary Sramek Levesque

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 12:01AM GMT
Hello
In the Roman Catholic parish Palkovice, register of births, years 1848 – 1863, Inv. Nr. 1747, Call Nr. MX4 , page 69, scan 34, is written:
1854, Novem(ber) 20 (born and baptized), house Nr.137, Franz, Catholic, man, legitimate. Father: Johann Žurovetz (=Žurovec), cottager in Palkowitz (=Palkovice), Catholic. Mother: Marianna daughter of the deceased Georg Sassin (=Sasyn) farmer in Palkowitz and his wife Marianna (daughter of) Johann Bartek, cottager in Palkowitz, Catholic. Godparents: Franz Krkoschka (=Krkoška) cottager in Palkowitz and his wife Barbara.

Palkovice is a village in the Moravian-Silesian Region of the Czech Rep. near town Frýdek-Místek. Registers are online on the Web: http://matriky.archives.cz, there you can investigate more. I enclose Palkovice cadastral map from 1833, there is a house Nr.137. Perhaps it would also help you http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~prohel/nam...
Regards
Attachments:

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 10:45PM GMT
Many Thanks for all three posts!

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 10:46PM GMT
Mary,

Many thanks!