Search for content in message boards

Skippers and Campbells

Skippers and Campbells

Posted: 9 May 2007 12:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Skipper, Campbell, Sikes
I am looking for any info. on a Susan Skipper(born 1850) married Joseph Lane Campbell. First thing I can find in 1900 cencus where they were living in Crenshaw Co. Nothing before. I know they are buried in Rutledge, but that is about it.
Thanks
Luci

Re: Skippers and Campbells

Posted: 10 May 2007 2:20PM GMT
I have this on Campbell
Descendants of Daniel Campbell

Generation No. 1

1. DANIEL1 CAMPBELL was born 1835 in Alabama, and died Bet. 1912 - 1913 in Crenshaw County Luverne Alabama. He married MARTHA MARY GRIDER. She was born 1839 in Alabama, and died 12 Apr 1912 in Crenshaw County Luverne Alabama.

More About DANIEL CAMPBELL:
Burial: Vernledge Methodist Cemetery
Census 1880: Crenshaw County Alabama-Fullers Cross roads community
Census 1900: Crenshaw County Alabama-Fullers Cross roads community
Census 1910: Crenshaw County Alabama-Town of Luverne

Notes for MARTHA MARY GRIDER:
[Obituary]
CAMPBELL-Died at 5 a.m.April 2nd.Mrs.Daniel Campbell.Her remains were interred at Vernledge the day following her death.She leaves surviving her husband Daniel Campbell three sons,Norman,Preston,and Frank Campbell.
(Crenshaw County News-April 04,1912)

More About MARTHA MARY GRIDER:
Burial: Vernledge Methodist Cemetery

Children of DANIEL CAMPBELL and MARTHA GRIDER are:
i. AMY "ANNIE" ELIZABETH2 CAMPBELL, b. 14 Oct 1858, Covington County Dozier Alabama; d. 16 Jul 1942, Crenshaw County Dozier Alabama; m. JESSE GREEN JACKSON, 23 Dec 1875, Crenshaw County Alabama; b. 04 Sep 1852, Georgia; d. 20 May 1903, Crenshaw County Dozier Alabama.

More About AMY "ANNIE" ELIZABETH CAMPBELL:
Burial: Pilgrims Rest Cemetery, Covington County, Alabama

Notes for JESSE GREEN JACKSON:
[Obituary]
JACKSON-Mr.Green Jackson who lived three miles North of Dozier,died last Wednesday of Catarrh of the stomach. His remains were interred at Pilgrim Rest cemetery Thursday.He leaves a wife and large family of children and relatives to mourn his loss.He was a successful farmer and a devoted husband and father, and esteemed by all who knew him (Crenshaw County Critic-May 28,1903)

More About JESSE GREEN JACKSON:
Burial: Pilgrims Rest Cemetery, Covington County, Alabama
Census 1880: Crenshaw County Alabama-Leon community
Census 1900: Crenshaw County Alabama-Dozier community

More About JESSE JACKSON and AMY CAMPBELL:
Marriage: 23 Dec 1875, Crenshaw County Alabama

ii. JOSEPH LANE (LEONARD) CAMPBELL, b. 16 Nov 1860, Covington County Alabama; d. 08 Jul 1942, Crenshaw County Alabama; m. SUSAN A. SKIPPER, Bet. 1882 - 1883; b. 15 Jul 1856, Alabama; d. 28 Sep 1938, Crenshaw County Alabama.

More About JOSEPH LANE (LEONARD) CAMPBELL:
Burial: Rutledge Primitive Baptist Cemetery
Census 1900: Crenshaw County Alabama-Rutledge community
Census 1910: Crenshaw County Alabama-Town of Luverne,living 2 dwellings from Daniel Campbell
Census 1930: Crenshaw County Alabama-Rutledge community

More About SUSAN A. SKIPPER:
Burial: Rutledge Primitive Baptist Cemetery

More About JOSEPH CAMPBELL and SUSAN SKIPPER:
Marriage: Bet. 1882 - 1883

iii. E PRESTON "PRESS" CAMPBELL, b. 09 Nov 1866, Covington County Alabama; d. 07 Sep 1924, Crenshaw County Alabama; m. MARY LEILA SIKES, Bet. 1904 - 1905; b. 11 Aug 1874, Crenshaw County Alabama; d. 09 Dec 1945, Crenshaw County Alabama.

Notes for E PRESTON "PRESS" CAMPBELL:
(Abstract From Crenshaw County News-June 01,1916)
Last Tuesday while Lee Sikes, white, and Harb Holley, colored, were plowing on Press Campbell’s place near Vernledge, Harb used some abusive language to Sikes. Sikes shot him twice with birdshot, but neither of the shots inflicted dangerous wounds

(Abstract From The Luverne Journal -Dec. 20,1900)
Difficulty At Rodger’s Sale:
On last Thursday, at Mr. Milton Rodger’s sale, a difficulty occurred between Dee Jones and Press Campbell, when John Pruett ran in and made a lick at Jones with a knife, cutting his coat. Jones picked up a mallet and tapped Pruett on the head which laid him out. No one else was hurt in the fight, and it appears that the Pruett lick closed the engagement. Dee Jones then mounted a horse and came to Luverne and sent a doctor out there to Pruett, saying that some body had tapped old John Pruett on the head with a maul and laid him out. A doctor went out there and found Mr. Pruett was badly wounded, but not dangerously.

[Obituary]
CAMPBELL-E.Preston Campbell passed into the great beyond.Mr.Campbell had been confined to his bed for about six months & while his death was not unexpected it is a great loss to his family.Mr. Campbell (Uncle Press) as he was familiarly called, was well known throughout the county and will be greatly missed by his family.He is survived by his wife and two children,a son and daughter and many other relatives.Funeral services were held at the Baptist church Monday afternoon after which his remains were interred at Emmaus Cemetery.
(The Luverne Journal-September 11,1924)

More About E PRESTON "PRESS" CAMPBELL:
Burial: Emmaus Cemetery
Census 1920: Crenshaw County Alabama-Town of Luverne

More About MARY LEILA SIKES:
Burial: Emmaus Cemetery
Census 1930: Crenshaw County Alabama-Town of Luverne on West 1st street as widowed

More About E CAMPBELL and MARY SIKES:
Marriage: Bet. 1904 - 1905

iv. FRANKLIN "FRANK" CAMPBELL, b. 1867, Crenshaw County Alabama.
v. HENRY NORMAN CAMPBELL, b. 11 Jan 1873, Crenshaw County Alabama; d. 16 Dec 1932, Crenshaw County Alabama; m. MARY ELIZABETH STEPHENS, 21 Aug 1898, Crenshaw County Alabama; b. 17 May 1877, Pike County Alabama; d. 12 Jun 1942, Crenshaw County Alabama.

More About HENRY NORMAN CAMPBELL:
Burial: Vernledge Cemetery
WW I: 1918, Info from World War I Draft Registration Card-Crenshaw County Alabama,living ner Luverne

More About MARY ELIZABETH STEPHENS:
Burial: Vernledge Cemetery

More About HENRY CAMPBELL and MARY STEPHENS:
Marriage: 21 Aug 1898, Crenshaw County Alabama

vi. EDWARD CAMPBELL, b. 1875, Crenshaw County Alabama.
vii. ALBERT CAMPBELL, b. 1877, Crenshaw County Alabama.
viii. NETTIE CAMPBELL, b. 1879, Crenshaw County Alabama.

Posted: 10 May 2007 2:22PM GMT

Descendants of George Skipper

Generation No. 1

1. GEORGE1 SKIPPER was born Abt. 1750.

Notes for GEORGE SKIPPER:
In a book called Colony of North Carolina 1735-1764 Abstracts of Land Patents I found a-George Skipper March 21 1742- 200 acres in Craven County on the N side of Neuse River joining the Mouth of a Branch, the fork of a branch, and the river The autors name is Margaret M Hofmann .

Children of GEORGE SKIPPER are:
i. ABRAHAM2 SKIPPER, b. Bet. 1775 - 1780, North Carolina; d. 1819, Brunswick County North Carolina; m. MARY ? POTTER.

Notes for ABRAHAM SKIPPER:
1. Jacob W. Leonard qualified to the Brunswick Co., N C Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions as the administrator of the estate of Abraham Skipper on January 27, 1819. The bond of $2,000 was posted by J W Leonard, Micah Sullivan, and Henry Willets.

2. The above document shows that Abraham died intestate.

1. September Term, 1829--John W. Skipper petitions the court to appoint persons to divide the land of Abraham Skipper, who died about 1819, among his eight heirs. He states the eight heirs are Nathaniel, Rebecca, Silas, Sophia, David, Jacob, Drucilla, and the petitioner John W. Skipper. Refer to message #613 on this forum for a transcript.

2. Referring to message #717 on this forum, the son Nathaniel Skipper was born August 7, 1792.

3. The patent for the 100 acres granted to Abraham is available from the NC Archives.

4. On January 26, 1819 the Court ordered that Letters of Administration for the estate of Abraham Skipper be issued to Jacob W. Leonard.

5. The letters are actually issued on January 27, 1819. The bondsmen are (Micah? Uriah?--the writing is deteriorated)Sullivan and Henry Willets. Refer to message #730 on this forum.

6. Also on January 27, 1819, the court ordered that Jacob W. Leonard be authorized to sell all the goods and chattels of Abraham Skipper.

7. On April 26, 1819, Jacob W. Leonard returned the inventory of the Abraham Skipper estate to the court.

8. On February 2, 1820, the court appointed Silas Skipper to be the guardian of David Alfred Skipper and Jacob Skipper, and that he enter into a bond of three hundred dollars with J W Leonard and Jno T Sullivan.

9. On February 2, 1820, the court appointed J W Leonard to be the guardian of Drucilla Skipper and John Wiley Skipper, and that he enter into a bond of two hundred dollars with Joseph Russ and Pitt W Robeson.

More About ABRAHAM SKIPPER:
Census 1790: Brunswick County North Carolina

ii. BARNABUS "BARNY" SKIPPER,SR, b. Bet. 1775 - 1780, North Caolina or South Carolina; d. Bet. 1840 - 1850, Butler County Alabama; m. TEMPERANCE ?, Bet. 1805 - 1808, South Carolina; b. Bet. 1780 - 1785, South Carolina; d. Aft. 1860, Butler County Alabama.

Notes for BARNABUS "BARNY" SKIPPER,SR:
BARNABAS SKIPPER
Document #: 32133
Issue Date: August 18, 1837
Acres: 159.875 Land Office: CAHABA
Section 21 Twp 10 Range 16

BARNABAS SKIPPER
Document #: 34033
Issue Date: July 28, 1838
Acres: 39.92 Land Office: CAHABA
Section 15 Twp 10 Range 16
Land located on Skipper Wll Branch (now)Butler and Crenshaw Co.lines,west of Honoraville.

State: ALABAMA Acres: 39.92 Issue Date: 8/18/1837 Land Office: Cahaba Mineral Reservations: No Authority: April 24, 1820: Sale-Cash Entry (3 Stat. 566)
Document Nr.: 32134 Accession/Serial Nr.: AL1760__.195
SESW 15/ 10-N 16-E Meridian- St Stephens AL Butler,and Crenshaw Counties Alabama

More About BARNABUS "BARNY" SKIPPER,SR:
Burial: Routon Cemetery (now Crenshaw County Alabama)
Census 1840: Butler County Alabama
Census 1850: Butler County Alabama

Notes for TEMPERANCE ?:
Damascus Baptist Church - Butler Co., Alabama

The following is an excerpt from Rev. J. W. Joyner's book, A History of the Baptists in Butler County
( 1819-1957)
DAMASCUS BAPTIST CHURCH
From an old record we quote the following as to time organized, by whom, and the names of the charter members:
"The State of Alabama, Butler County, Whereas, at a meeting held by Jesse LEE in the neighborhood of Friendship meeting house, it pleased the great head of the church to pour out his spirit on the people so that many turned to the Lord. And the persons whose names are recorded below have been baptized upon a profession of their faith in Christ by Elder Jesse LEE,missionary for the Alabama Baptist Association, we, Jesse LEE and James HARGWOOD, an ordained deacon, formed a presbytery and constituted a regular Baptist Church on the 25th day of Stepember A. D. One Thousand Eight Hundred and Forty-Seven, upon the declaration of faith published by the names of Damascus." This was signed by Jesse LEE, clerk pro-tem, and James HARGWOOD.

Following is a list of the charter members: Henry A. STAGGERS, John THOMAS, Ashley AMBROS, John PICKET, Jacob THORNTON, Kinchen RHODES, Singleton BALEY, Henry PICKET, George WARREN, James THORNTON, John UPTON, Dauson W. LANE, Ely THORNTON, John THOMAS Jr., William SCARBROUGH, Stephens F. ANDRESS, Zebalon DICKSON, John McLEAN, Richmon BEDGOOD, Jacob TURNER, John McCULLOUGH, John T. HENDERSON, William J. THOMAS, Henry C. FULLER, John T. McTUIN, Daniel McCORMICH [prob. McCormick], John L. MIXON, Jasper BADGERS, Margaret C. THOMAS, Anky THOMAS, Mary STAGGERS, Levinia GRIFFIN, Christian GAYLER, Mary RABUN, Elizabeth PICKET, Hannah THORNTON, Drucilla WILLIAMS, Temperance SKIPPER, Caroline THOMAS, Martha UPTON, Amanda RODGERS, Nancy THORNTON, Tobitha SCARBROUGH, Deltha RABUN, Elizabeth RABUN, Nancy McLEAN, Sarah BAIGE, Rosa Ann DICKSON, Massy COOK, Isabella McCORMACK, Manala SPURLOCK, Quean ARD, George Ann ARD, Jane LINTON, Rachel McULLOUGH, and Loley CURRY.

More About TEMPERANCE ?:
Census 1850: Butler County Alabama-Leon & Rainsville community,living with son Silas

More About BARNABUS SKIPPER and TEMPERANCE ?:
Marriage: Bet. 1805 - 1808, South Carolina

iii. JOHN E SKIPPER/SCIPPER, b. Bet. 1787 - 1800, South Carolina; d. Bet. 1860 - 1870, Crenshaw County Alabama; m. SARAH "SALLIE" HENOTE; b. Bet. 1805 - 1809, South Carolina or Georgia; d. Bet. 1870 - 1880, Crenshaw County Alabama.

More About JOHN E SKIPPER/SCIPPER:
Census 1850: Butler County Alabama Beat 3
Census 1860: Butler County Alabama - Precinct 6 Friendship community

More About SARAH "SALLIE" HENOTE:
Census 1870: Crenshaw County Alabama-Twp 9 ,living with her son John W Skipper

iv. ISAAC W. SKIPPER, b. Bet. 1790 - 1795, North Carolina or South Carolina; d. Abt. 1832, Brunswick County North Carolina; m. (1) ANNA ?; m. (2) PENINIA BENTON.
v. SAMUEL "SAM" SKIPPER, b. Bet. 1800 - 1810, South Carolina; d. Jun 1869, Crenshaw County Alabama in Twp 10; m. UNKNOWN; d. Bet. 1855 - 1860.

More About SAMUEL "SAM" SKIPPER:
Census 1840: Butler County Alabam
Census 1860: Butler County Alabam-near the Friendship Post Office
Death by: Intermittent Fever

Posted: 11 May 2007 6:31PM GMT
Joyce,
Thank you so much for all the information. The information on Daniel Campbell said children. Is the article saying that Amy Elizabeth Campbell was the only child or was #2 Joseph Lane Campbell also their son?
Thanks again.
Luci

Posted: 16 Jun 2008 2:07PM GMT
Surnames: Crenshaw Co-Sexton, Lowe/Loe, Hartin, Long, Skipper, Holley
Joyce,
Do you have copies of the documentation on the Skipper's to share? Also, somewhere I saw you had Stephen S. Loe as Stephen Singleton Loe and I wondered what document you found with a middle name for him? My son is a direct descendant of Stephen and also of John & Sallie Skipper.
Thx!
Lisa R. Franklin
webmaster@trackingyourroots.com

Posted: 17 Jun 2008 4:38PM GMT
I do not have documentation,but I had to pick it up somewhere,I would have never thought of that name.I will keep looking
Joyce

Posted: 17 Jun 2008 5:24PM GMT
Thx! I found a number of his kids have death certs. Do you have copies? If not, I'm planning on making copies when I'm at LDS in a couple of weeks--anyone else needing copies I'm happy to share and will have them stored in digital format.
Lisa

Posted: 19 Jun 2008 1:52AM GMT
Surnames: Skipper, Campbell, Sikes
Lisa,
Can you tell me who John and Sallie Skipper are? I have a John and Sarah as the parents to Susan Agnes Skipper(my great grandmother).
Luci

Posted: 19 Jun 2008 12:30PM GMT
Luci,
If you can email me your email addy I'll send you an invite to my online family tree at ancestry.
Lisa
webmaster@trackingyourroots.com

Posted: 20 Jun 2008 12:26AM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions