Search for content in message boards

Robert Mitchell b. 1783 Palmer,MA/Sheldon, VT

Robert Mitchell b. 1783 Palmer,MA/Sheldon, VT

Posted: 4 Jul 2000 6:52PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 8:48PM GMT
Robert married Susanna Wheelock=Children
Adolphus, Ameretta, Joseph, Marcia, Sarah,
John, Robert, Heman, Lucretia

Robert Mitchell,B.1783 Palmer,MA/Sheldon,VT.

Pam Osborne (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2000 6:22AM GMT
Jan I have info on this Robert Mitchell. Not sure what info you're looking for. E-mail me at Gosbo49784@aol.com and I'll give you what I have. I'm from the John Benjamin, Merritt, and Truman Mitchell line.
Pam Osborne

Re: Robert Mitchell,B.1783 Palmer,MA/Sheldon,VT.

Posted: 24 Jun 2001 6:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, Pam,

I can't recall if I've written to you privately about this. If I have and you've responded, please ignore this. Anyway, I have the line back to William McMitchell, the immigrant from Ireland. Have you traced it back further than that? Do you want the William McMitchell info?

Richard Husband

Re: Robert Mitchell b. 1783 Palmer,MA/Sheldon, VT

Posted: 24 Jun 2001 6:41PM GMT
Hi, Jan, do you have any more information on the children of Robert Mitchell and Susannah Wheelock (such as their birth and death dates, places of birth, death, etc.)? If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you would either post it here or send it to me at

ofoolishallgomad@aol.com

All I have for children are Sarah, Elmira (who you don't seem to have) and Adolphus. I will pass on what I have on these three, if you would like it.

Thanks,

Richard

Posted: 24 Jun 2001 8:49PM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell, Wheelock,
My first hint at where my Lucretia Mitchell came from was the following. A book by Ldwis Aldrich "History of Franklin and Grand Island County, VT"
written in 1891. The book mentions a ROBERT MITCHELL who was born in Palmer, VT and died in Sheldon, VT at age 78 and his wife SUSAN WHEELOCK born in Palmer, MA and died in Sheldon, VT at age 76. They had the following children of which I have no birth dates except for one.
ALOLPHUS
JOSEPH
HERNAN
ROBERT
LUCRETIA
AMERETTA
SARAH
MARCIA
The book says the later was born in Sheldon, VT and died in 1887 at age 69. Was in the war of 1812 and was a farmer and butcher. I think the later would mean the child ROBERT, but am not sure. If it is Robert he was born in 1887 and married ELIZABETH RICE of sheldon (parents Jonathan Rice of Sheldon and Roxy Davis of Sheldon). They had the following children:
LEROY}ARDEN
LUCRETIA
ANGELIA
WILLIAM born 1840

William H. Mitchell born 1840 came from Enosburg, VT to Swanton in 1888 and married Catharine Bolac of Highgate, Franklin, VT. He had a meet market in Swanton and was a Company F Tenth Vermont Volunteer for 3 years receiving an honorable discharge after being wounded in Cold Harbor, VT.

after the discovery of the above book I went to the internet and found the Swanton, VT Cemeteries page http://www.erols.com/tledoux/cem-m.htm. They had some birth and death dates.

next I got an e-mail from Pam as follows:
I am in Essex Jct., VT. And here is all I have on Robert Mitchell.
Robert Mitchell b. Feb. 14, 1783 d. July 27, 1860
married Susanna Wheelock (no date for marriage)
b. Aug. 2, 1784 d. Feb. 13, 1862
Children:
Joseph b. Feb. 10, 1807 d. Oct 19, 1883
Almira b. Mar. 6, 1809 d Dec 22, 1824
Adolphas b. Mar 17, 1811 d. Mar 23, 1857
Sarah Ann b. Mar 12, 1813 d. Aug 21, 1903
John b. Mar 21, 1815 d. June 23, 1885
Amanatha b. Nov. 11, 1817 d. July 6, 1889
Marsha b. Dec 6, 1819 d. April 11, 1892
Hemon b. April 14, 1822 d. Jul 29, 1869
Hiram b. April 14, 1822 d. Oct, 4, 1822
Lucretia b. Apr. 8, 1824 d. Nov 4, 1896
Robert b. Feb 27, 1827 d. Feb 8, 1897
married Camilla Irene Draper b. Feb. 28, 1800 in Sheldon, VT
Hemon b. in Highgate, VT married Ann Baker on Aug. 1, 1844
children: Judson - Ellen-Homer

Please share what you have. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Jan

Posted: 24 Jun 2001 8:52PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Mitchell, Wheelock
My first hint at where my Lucretia Mitchell came from was the following. A book by Lewis Aldrich "History of Franklin and Grand Island County, VT"
written in 1891. The book mentions a ROBERT MITCHELL who was born in Palmer, VT and died in Sheldon, VT at age 78 and his wife SUSAN WHEELOCK born in Palmer, MA and died in Sheldon, VT at age 76. They had the following children of which I have no birth dates except for one.
ALOLPHUS
JOSEPH
HERNAN
ROBERT
LUCRETIA
AMERETTA
SARAH
MARCIA
The book says the later was born in Sheldon, VT and died in 1887 at age 69. Was in the war of 1812 and was a farmer and butcher. I think the later would mean the child ROBERT, but am not sure. If it is Robert he was born in 1887 and married ELIZABETH RICE of Sheldon (parents Jonathan Rice of Sheldon and Roxy Davis of Sheldon). They had the following children:
LEROY}ARDEN
LUCRETIA
ANGELIA
WILLIAM born 1840

William H. Mitchell born 1840 came from Enosburg, VT to Swanton in 1888 and married Catharine Bolac of Highgate, Franklin, VT. He had a meet market in Swanton and was a Company F Tenth Vermont Volunteer for 3 years receiving an honorable discharge after being wounded in Cold Harbor, VT.

after the discovery of the above book I went to the internet and found the Swanton, VT Cemeteries page http://www.erols.com/tledoux/cem-m.htm. They had some birth and death dates.

next I got an e-mail from Pam as follows:
I am in Essex Jct., VT. And here is all I have on Robert Mitchell.
Robert Mitchell b. Feb. 14, 1783 d. July 27, 1860
married Susanna Wheelock (no date for marriage)
b. Aug. 2, 1784 d. Feb. 13, 1862
Children:
Joseph b. Feb. 10, 1807 d. Oct 19, 1883
Almira b. Mar. 6, 1809 d Dec 22, 1824
Adolphas b. Mar 17, 1811 d. Mar 23, 1857
Sarah Ann b. Mar 12, 1813 d. Aug 21, 1903
John b. Mar 21, 1815 d. June 23, 1885
Amanatha b. Nov. 11, 1817 d. July 6, 1889
Marsha b. Dec 6, 1819 d. April 11, 1892
Hemon b. April 14, 1822 d. Jul 29, 1869
Hiram b. April 14, 1822 d. Oct, 4, 1822
Lucretia b. Apr. 8, 1824 d. Nov 4, 1896
Robert b. Feb 27, 1827 d. Feb 8, 1897
married Camilla Irene Draper b. Feb. 28, 1800 in Sheldon, VT
Hemon b. in Highgate, VT married Ann Baker on Aug. 1, 1844
children: Judson - Ellen-Homer

Posted: 25 Jun 2001 1:16AM GMT
Jan, thanks for the info.

I am sending you what I have, both on the Mitchell line and the Wheelock line, as it is too long to put on the board. I'm pretty sure that Susannah Wheelock's mother' (Thankful Maynard)'s parents were Stephen Maynard and Thankful Newton. At least one person has this as the case, anyway, which you can find at

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&...

You can find the History of Palmer, Massachusetts book, which is the source of my information on William McMitchel, the immigrant ancestor, online at

http://www.usigs.org/library/books/ma/Palmer1889/palm585Fami...

Interestingly, the History of Palmer book has Robert Mitchell marrying "Mrs. Rice," not Susannah Wheelock (don't know what happened there).

The info on the Cummings (Robert Mitchell's mother's) line I have is from

http://www.kichline.com/carrie/ICFA/index.htm

Richard

Posted: 26 Jul 2001 1:15PM GMT
Hi, Jan (and anyone else interested):

A bit more info on William McMitchel, emigrant ancestor of the Palmer, Massachusetts Mitchells:

The book, "Scotch Irish Pioneers in Ulster and America (by Charles Knowles Bolton, published by Clearfield), identifies William McMitchel among the early Palmer settlers "who came largely from Worcester," page 192, on one of several ships arriving at Boston roughly the same time in the summer of 1718 carrying Irish (and Scottish) passengers:

An unknown ship, arrived July 28?, John Wilson, master, from Londonderry
The "Robert," arrived August 4th, James Ferguson, master, from Glasgow and Belfast
The "William," arrived August 4th, Archibald Hunter, master, from Coleraine
(see pages 135-136 of the book regarding the above ships)
The "William and Mary"? (the information on this is confusing, see page 141 of the book)
The "Mary Anne"? (again, the information here is not clear, see page 141 of the book)
The "Dolphin," arrived apparently around late August, John Mackay master, from Dublin
(see page 141 of the book)
The "Maccallum," arrived September 1, James Law, master, from Londonderry
(carrying "20 odd familys," see pages 141-142 of the book)

From my (brief, I admit) review of the book, it is unclear whether one or more of these ships may be the same ship (the book mentions five ships arriving with Irish and Scottish passengers, but then lists the above seven). It is also unclear from what specific part of Ireland any of these passengers may have come from (there are, apparently, no surviving passenger lists), but the impression is that the Irish emigrants largely came from the province of Ulster. The book does mention a couple of more specific locations in relation to emigrants, for what it may be worth: a James Smith (whether there is a relationship to Robert Smith, William McMitchel's father-in-law is not discussed, but it does not appear James Smith settled in Palmer, as did Robert) came from Ballykelly ("a town near Folye and the Bann, Near Newton Limavady," Chapter XI); and the book states:

"Most of the Rutland settlers came with the Worcester colony ... it is possible
that a large number of the Rutland colony came over from Ardstraw together ..."
(page 191)

The book goes on to say that

"... many Scotch Irish immigrants passed the winter of 1718-19 in Boston,
much to the discomfort of the town officers and citizens there. These immigrants
were possibly from the territory around Belfast, comprising southern Antrim
and the northern part of the County of Down ...
... The Worcester company left Boston early in August, 1718 ..."

Apparently William McMitchel's stay in Worcester was short, and he moved on to Palmer.

Given the lack of Irish records before 1800 and the paucity of information known about William McMitchel's Irish origin, it seems unlikely that further information could be located about him and his family in Ireland.

Jan (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2001 3:42PM GMT
Sure appreciate all the added information on McMitchell.
Thank you

Posted: 27 Jul 2010 7:03PM GMT
I am very interested in your information regarding Robert Mitchell born Feb. 1783 in Palmer, Massachusetts. The family later moved to Sheldon, Vermont. His son, Robert, born Feb, 1827 in Highgate, Franklin County, Vermont, married Camilla Irene Draper, my Great Great Grandmother. Robert and Camilla moved to Clearwater, Minnesota about 1867. Their daughter, Cleora married Edgar Smith. Her siblings grew up in Minnesota. If you have any additional information re: Robert and earlier generations back to William McMichel this would be helpful. I do know that William immigrated from Ireland. I was told that my red hair comes from grandma Cleory. L.M.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions