Search for content in message boards

William Johnson

William Johnson

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 1:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am researching my JOHNSON family line, my gr,grandfather being TOM JOHNSON wed EMMA DUTTON in 1887 at WHARFEDALE,YORK. The FATER OF TOM according to the marriage certificate is WILLIAM JOHNSON. No MOTHER OF TOM can be located.
The father of EMMA is JAMES DUTTON. No mother for Emma is on the marriage certificate either.
Can anyone assist please.
From word of mouth information Dutton heritage goes back to DUTTON HALL era. I cannot make a connection.

Re: William Johnson

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 12:07PM GMT
If you have the marriage certificate it would help if you gave their ages and occupatons of their fathers. If Emma was born c1858 in Chester then she might be the Emma DUTTON with father James occupation Joiner and mother Sarah. If Tom was born c1857 in Leicestershire he might be the son of William and Ann JOHNSON.

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 8:09PM GMT
The marriage certificate of 1887 I have for TOM and EMMA states both ages as 30.TOMs father WILLIAM is deceased and EMMAs father James is an Engineer. No ages are recorded.Tom and Emma were residing in a place called RAWDON York at the time of their marriage. I cannot locate that place on the historical map.
Confusion increases for me, being an amateur. One census of 1901 has the Father listed as TOM born in Edinele Yorkshire. Again no such place on the map. I am redirected to THOMAS JOHNSON born REDMILE , wife EMMA (Dutton). Both fathers have different occupations, and one with a daughter Frances Alice, the other Frances J. Both girls birth details similar. As are the three other children.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 10:08AM GMT
Google Rawdon, West Yorkshire....will have a closer look at the census but the ages of 30 on marriage certificates fit with Tom and Emma being born c1857/58.

Rawdon is a village in the metropolitan borough of the City of Leeds, West
Yorkshire, England

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 5:30PM GMT
Looking at the original page of the 1891 census rather than the typed record page, Edinele is clearly Redmile, Leicestershire.

There is a Tom JOHNSON registered at Blaby, Leics in 1858 but I think the Thomas JOHNSON registered in 1856 at Grantham (which covers Redmile) is more likely to be your Tom...June quarter 1856 volume 7a page 442. Think his parents are William bc1828 and Ann bc 1832 and Ann is a widow in 1871, youngest child Violetta born 1869. There is a death registered in March quarter 1869 of 40 year old William JOHNSON.

Hope this helps but why have you posted on this Kent board?

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 5:47PM GMT
Thank you. I will check it out. When I first became interested in genealogy, my mother said our Johnson line is from Kent. I have entered William as being from Kent, but no hints have appeared. Although I have located a William J brn 1828 in Kent. When entered into my tree there is no progress and an Aunty o me o try the message board.
Sometimes when researching Tom , a birth in Blaby would appear, but some detail just did not seem right. I will follow it again.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 6:01PM GMT
I also have photos of James, Emma and a young man I hope is Tom J, which I have on face book, asking friends and relations with the same in the U.K. , to send them on. Hopefully some one will pick up on them, as there is Frank, a son of Tom and Emma I have located on the 1911 census, who had not yet produced off spring. Emma is such a beautiful lady, and women in those days new how to dress, compared to these days.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic