Search for content in message boards

Kehoe

Kehoe

mary wallace bridges (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:50PM GMT
Surnames: Kehoe, Cahoe
Looking for Kehoe/Cahoe family from somewhere in County Longford circa 1830s. Would like to know the areas of Longford where Kehoes were or are and what the original pronounciation on the name was such as Kay-hoe or Ka-hoe?
Posted: 9 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jul 2001 6:47AM GMT
Surnames: geraghty
From family history I have it hat my gr gr grandfather john garrity-geraghty, born in co. longford abt 1818, m. ann keyho, they had four children all born in ireland, mary, ann, thomas and john. ann died about 1848. john remarried, bridget carney karney in co longford 1850, immegrated with new wife and children to us abt 1852. mary stayed in nyc area married thomas mullaney, ann stayed in nyc area and married patrick hanley, thomas ? , john married mary ann carney.
keyho most probably started with a "c" as there is no "k" in the irish alphabet. John was a teacher back in co longford. would have taught in english but the area from where they came was an irish speaking area.
does any of this tie into your records?

Kehoe

Posted: 2 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Kehoe
I can't really tell as I do not have my John in any records in Longford yet. I know he was born there around the time your Ann was born but keeping in mind the Irish naming patterns I have no Ann's or Thomas' so far in this family. The other two surnames don't tie in with this family either. Have you ever heard the name pronounced Kay-ho? Thanks, Mary

Kehoe=Keogh

Rachel Smith (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Keogh
David Leahy's index to County Longford Griffiths Valuations lists the family name Kehoe, after which he says: See Keogh. This suggests it was pronounced Key hoe.

Under Keogh he lists ten households in as many townlands.

Kehoe in Longford

Posted: 14 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
thanks for the info. David Leahy probably doesn't know that at least back to the 1850's some people with the name Kehoe did not pronounce their name as the priest's spelled it. I know this family pronouced it Kay hoe. There seems to be not connection to the name Keogh which is pronounced differently although David lumps them all together as many Irish surname books do. The name Kehoe was pronouced differently according to where the family was originally from going back to the 1500's and before. Thanks for the valuation info at least the name isn't as prevelant as Smith or Jones.

Kehoe in Longford

Posted: 14 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Thanks for the info. David Leahy probably doesn't know that at least back to the 1850's and before some people with the name Kehoe did not pronounce their name as the priest's spelled it. I know this family pronouced it Kay hoe. There seems to be no connection to the name Keogh which is pronounced differently although David lumps them all together as many Irish surname books do. The name Kehoe was pronouced differently according to where the family was originally from going back to the 1500's and before. Thanks for the valuation info I'm glad the name isn't as prevelant as Smith or Jones.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions