Search for content in message boards

BALLEW, CONNELLY

Re: BALLEW, CONNELLY

David Harlan Witherspoon (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query

Could these be the Connellys for whom Connelly Springs was named? Perhaps a Burke County historian or history buff could help.

BALLEW, CONNELLY

Ruth Byrne (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT

Three generations of my Burke Co, NC Ballew's married Connelly women. I'm looking for the Connelly (Conley) parents of the two older ones.
1. Caleb Jackson Ballew (23 May 1833 - 20 Jan 1922) married Thirsey (Teresa) Caroline Conley (Connelly) (25 June 1837 - 17 Nov 1921) in Campbell Co, GA in 1855. Thirsey's parents were William Conally and Rebecca Wood, but I don't know anything about them other than they lived in Walker Co, GA, when Thirsey Caroline was born.
2. Caleb's father William David Ballew (1789 - 1887?) married Robin Esther Connelly (1797 - 187?) 2 May 1817 in Burke Co, NC. Who were her parents?
3. William David's father, William Ballew (1749 - 183?) married Elizabeth Connelly (c. 1750 - ?) in 1773 in Burke Co, NC. Who were her parents?

I would appreciate any help available.
Thanks, Ruth Byrne
anks, Ruth Byrne

Robert Gibbs (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT

My ancestors also tended to marry the Connellys (Conleys). The comment that Connelly Springs was named for them is almost certain. John Gibbs married Rebecca Conly (b. 1756) and the marriage bond is recorded. His sons Joshua and William both then married Connellys who were apparently sisters. William's son Joshua also married a Connelly (Saphronia). This was all in Burke County, NC. If you are interested I can put what I have in an e-mail file. Do you have any information as well. There was apparently a Captain James Connelly at the time of the Revolution in Burke Co but I don't know at this point the exact ties.

Posted: 23 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Feb 2006 2:54PM GMT

I have several articles on my home page that include
information on the Ballew, Gibbs and Connelly/Conley
families. I would apprerciate any information you could share on these lines.
Posted: 21 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 21 Feb 2012 11:58PM GMT

BALLEW

Ruth Byrne (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
I found Matilda Rebecca Ballew who was born in 1820 in Burke Co, NC. She was the third child of William David Ballew and Robin Esther Connelly Ballew. My records show that Matilda was married 29 May 1839 to David Carpenter. I don't have any other information on her. Is this the same Matilda you are looking for? William David Ballew was born before the 3rd of October 1789 in Burke County, NC. Robin Esther Connelly Ballew was born in 1796 in Burke County, NC. William David and Robin Esther were married 2 May 1817 in Burke County, NC. William David died before 187- in Fannin County, GA and is buried at Salem Church in Hot House, GA. Robin Esther died between 1870 and 1879 and was buried at Salem Church in Hot House, GA. We were there and couldn't find their stones in the cemetery, however there were stones for a number of their children. I have a lot of information on these Ballew's, as they are my ancestors, if you are interested, please let me know.

Ruth Byrne

David Ballew b. 1789 + Connelly

Don Barry (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Ballew, Connelly
Dear Ruth,

I just read your post to the rootsweb Burke County page.

"William David Ballew (1789 - 1887?) married Robin Esther Connelly (1797
- 187?) 2 May 1817 in Burke Co, NC.... William David's father, William
Ballew (1749 - 183?) married Elizabeth Connelly (c. 1750 - ?) in 1773 in
Burke Co, NC".

For your line commonly known as the David (Dave) Ballew b. 1789 (as
listed in the April 1998 Ballew Family Journal), it looks like you have
found some new information.

My line is John Ballew b. 1803 and Elizabeth ? b. 1805, also from Burke
County, NC. Elizabeth is also burried at Old Salem #2 Church Cemetery
in the Hot House area. The information I have leads me to believe John
and David were brothers. What is the source for your new information
giving David and Ester's full names and the names of David's parents?
Also, have you run across anything that would tend to confirm or deny
John and David being brothers?

Look foreward to hearing from you.

Don Barry
4907 Hawk Trail
Marietta, GA 30066
(770) 591-0631
donbarry@bellsouth.net

Belew

Tom Winters (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Belew, Winters
My families came to Burke, Mitchell, and Avery and stayed.
I assume that many other families like Ballew did the same. I have a gggmother named Mary Belew b.1764 in Caswell Co, NC and died 3 Jun 1859 in Quaker Meadows, Burke, NC. She married William Winters 30 Sep 1795 in Caswell Co, NC. Her father was Isaac Belew. His will is posted in Caswell Co and lists children Mary, Jamima, Daniel.
Jamima married Peyton Harvell. Daniel married Sally Hall.
Anything else I would appreciate.
Tom

Gibbs of Burke County

Diane Lancaster-Lovejoy (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gibbs, Enloe
Where is your home page?

Ballew family of Burke County

Monika Ballew (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Ballew, Parsons
I am looking for my relative John Ballew born in Burke County in 1824. He married Gertrude Parsons of New York. John was a direct descendant of Leonard Ballou who came to Burke County by way of France and Virginia between 1676 and 1710. Any information you have would truly be appreciated. Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic