Search for content in message boards

McBEEs of Monongalia/Barbour Co. WV

McBEEs of Monongalia/Barbour Co. WV

Posted: 19 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jun 2004 7:25AM GMT
Surnames: McBee, Shafer, Shaver, Thompson, Armstrong, Mouser, Corbin
Hello to all,
I am searching for my g-g-g grandparents, William and Elizabeth (Shafer/Shaver) McBee, who lived in Philippi from about 1850 until their deaths in 1887 and ~1907 respectively. William was born around 1814, although various documents put his birth year anywhere between 1810 and 1824. William and Elizabeth were married in Monongalia Co., WV., in 1850, but do not show up on the census there. By 1860, they are listed on the census in Philippi. Both William and Elizabeth are buried at Mary's Chapel Cemetery in Barbour Co., but I have yet to find a death certificate for either one of them, and there are no cemetery records. Together, William and Elizabeth had 8 children; William Porter (my g-g grandfather, married Aritha Corbin), Mary E. (never married), Nancy Jane (married Asa Thompson), Winfield Scott (married Mary E. Armstrong), Lee Roy (married Ida Mouser), Sarah E. (married Jacob Thompson) and Eliza J. (d. at age 15).
I am in search of the parents of both William and Elizabeth. I have given all the above names in the hope that someone will recognize them. Information, passed down thru the generations, suggest William was descended from Zadock McBee (Macbee) of MD., then Monongalia Co. WV., however, I have been unable to make the connection.
I noticed an obit posting, referencing the Philippi Republican. Can someone tell me what year this paper came into existence or what papers were around in 1887 thru the early 1900's? I would like to try to find if there might have been an obituary for either William or Elizabeth.
I look forward to hearing from anyone who may have info on this line.
Thank you, Jill Bolton

William McBEE son of Zadoc, and William son of Zadoc's bro. Alexander

Posted: 18 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 1:52AM GMT
Surnames: McBee
I know of two William McBees that fit your timeframe. One is the son of Zadoc which you mentioned and the other is the son of Zadoc's brother Alexander. I do not however have any additional information on either William.

Re: McBEEs of Monongalia/Barbour County

Posted: 6 Apr 2004 9:36PM GMT
Surnames: McBee, Corbin, Skinnin
It appears we are distantly related. My g-g-g grandparents were William Porter McBee and Aritha Corbin. My g-grandfather was John Alexander McBee who married Laura Ellen Skinnin in about 1890 or so. They lived in Columbus, Ohio and a small town outside of Marengo called Fargo in Morrow County. Laura died in Fargo in July 1960 and John died in Fulton, Ohio (both in Morrow County) in July 1967.
The information you provided is extremely helpful to me. If I find any information about them I will pass it along to you.
I have just started working on my family tree recently so am very new and not sure where to look for all information.
Thanks again.

Re: McBEEs of Monongalia/Barbour County

Jill Bolton (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2004 4:47PM GMT
Surnames: McBee
I have knowledge of a son of William and Aritha's named John Alexander, however that is all I have.I'd love to see what you have on your John Alexander McBee. I'm descended from William and Aritha's son, Israel, brother to John. I'd be happy to share what information I have on our family if you are interested. I look forward to hearing from you.

Re: McBEEs of Monongalia/Barbour Co. WV

Pat Beck (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2004 11:45PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jun 2004 7:27AM GMT
Surnames: McBee, Skinnon, McIniston
I knew my grandfather John Alexander McBee (we called him Pap). He died in July 1967 at age 97 years, just before his 98th birthday.
Since I am just starting my research I do not have much written information, but will share with you as I acquire birth and death records.
He married Laura Skinnon sometime around 1890 give or take. They had five children, John (Jack), Eldon and Elton (twins), my grandmother Hazel, and Carl. Carl died in October 1920 while working on the railroad. No one knows exactly what happened, but a train hit him and cut off his legs. I don't know how old he was.
Pap worked on the railroad for a number of years. He also was a plasterer and worked for a builder doing finishing work.
Pap and Gram lived in a little area of Morrow County called Fargo three miles south of Marengo.
To my knowledge Pap did not serve in the military. I have a picture of Pap and Gram when they were in their late seventies, early eighties. I will scan the photo and send to you. I do not know of many photos that exist of them when they were younger.
In talking with my mother she knew of James, Thomas, Joe, Letitia and Aunt Min (Mrs. Harry McIniston of Columbus) and Homer. Is Israel Homer of Flint, Michigan? If so, then we definately are related. Look forward to hearing from you.

Pat Beck

Posted: 25 Apr 2004 10:01PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jun 2004 7:24AM GMT
Surnames: McBee, Skinnin, Porter, Corbin
I am in the process of obtaining my g-grandfather and g-grandmother's birth certificates.
John Alexander and Laura Skinnin McBee had a set of twins, Eldon and Elton, sons John (Jack) and Karl, and a daughter Hazel. Hazel is my grandmother. John worked on the railroad and later did handywork. Almost anything he could find.
I have obtained my grandmother's birth certificate and will send soon. I will also send John's birth certificate as soon as I am able to get it.
John was married twice. I do not know the name of his first wife, she died very young. They had one daughter who my g-grandmother raised.
I want to send for William Porter's military records, but if you already have them would you let me know. It will save me some time.
I can find nothing yet on Aritha Corbin. If you find anything let me know.
Also, would Israel be the brother Homer from Flint, Michigan? My mother does not remember an Israel.
Thanks for getting back with me.

Jill Bolton (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2004 2:03AM GMT
Edited: 18 Jun 2004 7:23AM GMT
Surnames: McBee, Shafer, Corbin
Hi again! I would love to exchange information with you, if you are interested. I have our McBee line back to around 1810-1824 depending on what record you look at. Do you have any information on your John Alexander's grandparents, William and Elizabeth Shafer McBee? They are my block wall...I haven't been able to connect them to any parents. The earliest I find them is in Monongalia Co., with their marriage in 1850. According to William McBee's (Sr.) headstone, he died in 1887 at the age of 77, putting his hear of birth around 1810-11. Other records indicate his birth year was 1814, or 1824. I have no birth or death record to substantiate any of those dates. I would love to find documentation to connect him to whoever his parents were. I believe that I do have his son William Porter's military records, what there were of them, somewhere. I also have a copy of a newspaper article in which he gave an interview describing (very much embellished) his Civil War service. I have two obituarys for him as well. In fact, I documented my lineage to him, and was able to claim his Civil War Medal. The medal had been made for him, along with many others who served in W.V., however it never made it into his hands. It was in storage at the W.V. State Archives until they had a push to try to get them to descendants of the soldiers who earned them. I was lucky enough to stumble on the website which was made in the effort to distribute them to the rightful descendants. Long story short, I now have the medal. It's pretty awesome. I have quite a bit on Aritha Corbin, going back rather far. I'd be happy to share that with you as well. I also have some on William Porter's second marriage if you are interested. You are correct about Israel. He is the brother of John Alexander. His name was Israel Homer, but went by the name Homer. Feel free to email me privately if you would like further information.
Best, Jill

Posted: 18 Jan 2008 6:15PM GMT
Surnames: McBee, Montgomery
I know this is an old post, but it caught my eye.Have a look at this link and see if it is your William.
My great-great grandmother was Henrietta McBee(B:1809) Married to William Montgomery 1830-1832. They had one child, William Nelson Montgomery who was my great-grandfather.
This article is confusing to me, but if you can straighten it out by dates, you may find some info.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~kygenweb/kybiog/grant/mcbee.w.txt
good luck,
Mary Wafford

Posted: 19 Jan 2009 2:48AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2009 11:14AM GMT
Surnames: McBee, Thompson, Allen
Hi Jill-
I just posted on the main McBee site a thread about Nancy Jane McBee (my GG Grandma)who married Asa Thompson. This thread has been very interesting and I am hoping you can shed some light on some things for me. I have an old letter from my grandpa Lawrence Thompson, son of (Wafie Allen and Monzell Thompson). Can you please contact me?
Thanks so much,
Andrea

Posted: 22 Oct 2011 1:30PM GMT
William's parents were Hezikiah and Mamie Carl. Hezekiah came from Scotland with his parents in 1840. I am a descendant of Lee Roy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic