Search for content in message boards

John Spurgeon

John Spurgeon

Lee Clayton (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2002 11:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jun 2004 12:47PM GMT
Surnames: SPURGEON, LARGE
I am trying to find ANY information on John Spurgeon who was married to Lindy Large in Cocke Co.,TN, about 1870-1880. He apparently died before 1880 as Lindy was listed as a widow in the 1880 Census.
HELP. e-mail me at jnlc766@cs.com

Re: John Spurgeon

Posted: 25 Oct 2002 1:16AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2004 12:47PM GMT
Surnames: SPURGEON, ODELL, WEBB
Have you found anything about John Spurgeon in Cocke Co? I am looking for info on a Margaret Spurgeon who was in Cocke Co in the 1870 census with 3 children living in the household of William Vincent as Housekeeper. She was listed as age 30, born in TN. Children were: James, age 15;
John, age 12, TN; Thomas, age 7, TN; and Maranda, age 1, TN. I believe that the James is my ancestor, James Taylor Spurgeon who moved into Jackson Co. AL by 1880. James married Mary Lee Odell, daughter of William Odell and Lavinia Webb.

I know NOTHING about the Spurgeons, just found Margaret in the 1870 census two days ago. We have an oral history that James' mother was Named Margaret and that he had two brothers, John and Thomas, who moved to Missouri and stayed. See my post concerning this-I have the info there that I have on this family.

Thank you
Mona Herrin

Lee Clayton (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2002 3:47AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2004 12:48PM GMT
Surnames: Spurgeon
Mona,
I know little or nothing about the Spurgeons other than that one branch in Sevier County is pretty unfriendly I've heard from several people. My John Spurgeon apparently died at a young age on February 6, 1881. He was born in Newport, Cocke Co., TN. and was married to my great-grandmother.
Posted: 25 Oct 2002 4:42PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2004 12:48PM GMT
Surnames: SPURGEON, WEBB
My email is mherrin2020@earthlink.net

I am also looking for Spurgeons in the Newport, Cocke Co., TN area. I found my ancestor, I believe, in the 1870 census with his mother, Margaret Spurgeon age 30. This is the info that I found for them:

1870 Census Cocke Co., TN, Dist. 8, Newport P.O., Page 441A, HH# 50:

William Vincent, 96, Farmer, Value of Real Estate, 10,000, Value of Personal Estate, 1000, Delaware
Margaret Spurgeon, 30, Housekeeper, TN
James, 15, Laborer on Farm, TN
John, 12, Laborer on Farm, TN
Thomas, 7, TN
Miranda, 1, TN

Mr. Vincent's age on the census is clearly 90something that looks like a 6 but is unlike the other 6s on the page-but it is clear that the census states that he is 90something! The census states that he is deaf.

As you can see, there is a John there who would have been 22 in 1880. So hecould be a suspect. I did find a John in the 1880 census living in the same area as a Margaret, age 40, listed as aunt, living in the household of Caroline Large. There is also a Thomas, age 15, living in the same area in the household of P. R. Proffitt. I am not sure that these are the same people as in the 1870 census. In the 1850 Census I found a Margaret Spurgeon, no children given, living in the household of Perry Large, age 29. I am a little confused as to whether there are two Margaret Spurgeons in the same area of Cocke Co, or if this the the same person. I did see that I have a John Large married to Elizabeth "Betsy" Webb, daughter of Jesse Webb and Anna McMurtry as well as two Proffitts married to Betsy's sisters. One of Betsy's brothers, William, is the father of Lavinia Webb, I believe, who married William Odell, and is the parents of Mary Lee Odell who married James Taylor Spurgeon, son of Margaret Spurgeon who I found in the 1870 census.

I think that this is interesting, but confusin for me! maybe the two of us can figure this out if we conbine what we DO know! Please email me!

Mona

Posted: 20 Jun 2004 1:36PM GMT

Posted: 3 May 2008 3:34AM GMT
Have you found anything else about your Spurgeon connections or the Large family? I have nothing to add, but there has to be someone or something out there to help us.

Contact me when you have the time.

Mona Herrin

Posted: 19 Jun 2009 2:42AM GMT
I am still at a dead end as far as any information on John Spurgeon. He has got to be somewhere. If I find anything, I will e-mail you, got you on my quick list.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic