Search for content in message boards

How to know which Church in which Parish?

How to know which Church in which Parish?

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 11:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm new to the whole Parish records thing so am still finding my feet. I have address of ancestors in Maidstone, and I know how to access the Parish Records at the new library but what I dont know how to do is how do I work out what Parish their address is in? Is there a list or a record that tells me what roads/streets Parishes cover? I've looked around but can't find anything.

Also if someone is married in a Registry Office would there be a parish record for it or some other record, other than the marriage certificate?
Thanks in advance for any help

Re: How to know which Church in which Parish?

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 6:32PM GMT
Hello,
if you can find your ancestors in the census, it has the parish on the census record
regards
Emma

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 8:55PM GMT
Emma has answered the first part of your query, and I would add that it is the Ecclesiastical parish that you need to look for in the census.

Register office marriages are recorded only in the register office itself and at the GRO.

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 11:55AM GMT
Thank you to you both. I feel a bit of a wally now because of course the parishes are on the census records *duh*

Thank you also for the answer about the register office records.

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 3:45PM GMT
However, a child did not have to be baptised in the parish in which the parents lived. So don't give up if you don't find them in the parish you expect. For instance the first born was often baptised in the mother's home parish even if the family had moved away. Also some families had their 'ancestral' or favourite church which the family had used for years and so children were taken to be baptised there. Also, especially with poorer families they may have 'saved up' the baptisms and had several children baptised at the same time, so they would not necessarily have been baptised near where they were born.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions