Search for content in message boards

William Paine query

William Paine query

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 4:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Paine
Hi, I wonder if someone would kindly look over the following info? I have been wracking my brains trying to get to the bottom of this but keep going round in circles!,

My 3rd GGrandparents were William Lamb 1813-1886 & Sarah A Paine/Payne c1823-1909, they married in 1848 at Maidstone and as far as I am aware they had no children together? However, Sarah had a daughter , Juliana who was baptised in Tonbridge, Kent in March 1845 and her baptism states that she was given the name of Juliana Sherman daughter of Sarah Payne, no father mentioned.

On the 1881 census Sarah & William Lamb are living in Hastings(Ref. RG11/1024/68/2) and they have a William Lamb aged 7 and born Tonbridge living with them, relationship is given as grandson ?

By 1891 William Snr had died but Sarah is still living in Hastings (census ref RG12/761/55/1) and now she has a William H Paine aged 17 born Tonbridge living with her, relationship given as grandson?

By 1901 William had married Annie Maria Murrell and is now living in Margate with grandmother Sarah A Lamb.

I am trying to ascertain who the parents of William Paine were? There is a birth registered in 1873 Tonbridge Reg District and I suppose the wise thing to do would be to obtain the certificate but I wondered if sks had access to the Tonbridge Parish records and would look for a possible baptism record?
I'm certain that the William Lamb Aged 7 on the 1881 census is the same William Paine on the 1891 and later census? But why the change of name? And had his parents died! It is possible that he is the son of Juliana ?

Sorry for going on and any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Robert

Re: William Paine query

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 11:33PM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2013 11:37PM GMT
Have looked all over the place - I think that William 1874 may well be the son of Juliana as he has his grandmother's and mother's maiden names as his surname.

Why is Juliana' middle name Sherman? Wonder if that is her real father's surname? But was Sarah a widow when she married William senior? I cannot find Juliana on any record at all, only on the familysearch.org (LDS) site which confirms her baptism as 23rd March 1845 and gives her name as Juliana Sherman Payne and her mother listed as Sarah Payne. Cannot find her at all - had wondered if she had died and if William was her son then he would be perhaps brought up by his grandparents? Really is a poser - but where has Juliana gone......!

I think the Williams are the same person in the different censuses.

Mary

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 12:58AM GMT
Edited: 21 Mar 2013 1:13AM GMT
Surnames: Lamb, Lipscombe
Hi,

Juliana had already taken the Lamb surname on the 1861 census, she appears on the 1871 census as Julia Lamb, a female servant in a boarding house in Sussex.

By 1881 she's living with George Lipscombe and they have two children Sarah b.1875 & George b.1879. The couple state they're married but there's no record of any marriage.

On the 1891 census George has disappeared and Julia is recorded as Lipscombe or Lamb, along with children George b.1879, Blanche b.1881, Mercy b.1884 & Harry b.1885. They are all residing in Tunbridge Union Workhouse and Julia is shown as single.

1901 Julia is shown as widow, living with married eldest daughter, Sarah Nash in Sutton, and by 1911 she is back in Tonbridge Union Workhouse.

Regards
Linda

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 8:50AM GMT
Hi Mary,

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to look, this family are all over the place and trying to ascertain which child belongs to whom is puzzling to say the least!!!

Best wishes
Robert

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 8:51AM GMT
Hi Linda,

Thanks so much for the wealth of information, it is most kind off you.

Best wishes

Robert
per page

Find a board about a specific topic