Search for content in message boards

Looking for a man.

Looking for a man.

Posted: 25 Jan 2010 6:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harris
Recently, in Italy, it has been found a dog tag belonging to Wilson Harris, serial number 38354363. That soldier lived in Arkansas, Scott county and his mother was Lizzie Harris.
Nobody knows this man or his family?

Thanks everybody,
Silvio
Attachments:

Re: Looking for a man.

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 1:43AM GMT
When referencing the ARMYDOGTAGS.COM web-site (https://www.armydogtags.com/a_notched.php) I discovered that the dog tag you found is of the 1941-1945, World War II era. To have been eligible to serve during WWII, Wilson Harris would have been at least 17 years old, born no later than 1927. The U.S. Army WW2 Dog Tags web-site ( http://home.att.net/~steinert/us_army_ww2_dog_tags.htm ) revealed that Wilson enlisted between Nov 1941 and Jul 1943. It also indicated that his blood type was "B" and he was of the Protestant faith. According to the U.S. Army WWII Dog Tags web-site (http://users.skynet.be/jeeper/page82.html ) Wilson was a draftee called up by the Selective Training & Service Act.

The state of Arkansas is comprised of 75 counties. Scott County was formed on November 15, 1833, and named for Andrew Scott, a justice of the Supreme Court of the Arkansas Territory. The address, Route 1 Scott, ARK is apparently the city or township, not county where his next of kin Lizzie Harris resided. Cities names Andrew Scott were found in several locations. Lonoke, Sharp, Poinsett, Pulaski, Montgomery and Mississippi counties are possible locations Wilson called home.

Researching U.S. Census records for Wilson, and Lizzie possibly Elizabeth Harris resulted in no hits, as did a search for his WWII Draft Registration card. Inputting his service number via the U. S. National Archives (http://www.militaryindexes.com/worldwartwo ) also proved fruitless. He's got to be on file somewhere.

Because your curiosity is now a shared curiosity I will submit via the Military Personnel Records Center ( http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/ ) their assistance in locating service records for Wilson Harris. The process is slow, taking approximately two months for them to respond. I hope to have information regarding his service in Italy by the end of March.

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 3:51AM GMT
This family was located on the 1930 census records, Lafayette township of Lonoke County:

Elizabeth Harris 56 AR KY TN (widow)
Veet Harris 21 AR AR AR (son)
Marie Harris 17 AR AR AR (daughter)
McKinley Harris 15 AR AR AR(son)
Wilson Harris 11 AR AR AR (son)
J. W. Ingram 2/12 AR AR AR (grandson)

This family is African American.

A marriage record in Jefferson County, Arkansas:

Wilson E. Harris, age 23, Lockesburg, Sevier County, Arkansas to Mildred Fay Putt, age 19, England, Lonoke County, Arkansas on August 17, 1942.

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 10:39AM GMT
Thank you for the stream of information that you gave me about the dog tag.
To be true I must say that I didn’t found that dog tag. I like search with a metal-detector and I’m a member of a Forum of metaldetectorist. Some days ago I read on the forum of a boy that found an U.S. Army dog tag around the town of Prato, Tuscany. He wasn’t able to read the dog tag and moreover he liked to know more about that soldier, so I decided to help him. First I tried on the NARA site, but as you said, my search was fruitless then I thought to ancestry.com. I believed that “Scott, ARK” was Scott County, Arkansas, but now thanks to you, I know that I was wrong.

I’m enthusiastic about your wish to ask for assistance to the Military Personnel Records Center, don’t worry about their slowness, the important thing is have good results.

Only one more question, did you read my query on the “Message Boards” of ancestry.com or you received the e-mail that I sent to a museum in Lonoke?
To me is more simple send and receive e-mail instead of write on the “Message Boards”, if you agree with me please use this address: terrible@email.it .

Regards,
Silvio - Italy

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 11:21AM GMT
Hi DRGroots,

many thanks for your information. Do you believe that the family located on the 1930 census is really the one of Wilson Harris? Is Lizzie a nickname for Elizabeth?
You wrote that this family is African American, do you mean that they were coloured people? Moreover, beside every name there is the age and then ?

f.e. Elizabeth Harris 56 AR(?) KY(?) TN(?)

Thank you ones more for your information, I hope to hear from you again. If you want you can write to one of my e-mail address: terrible@email.it .

Regards,
Silvio - Italy

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 9:12PM GMT
The Ancestry web-site is the media from which I was made aware of your endeavor to learn more about Wilson Harris, a U.S. soldier whose dog tag was found in a country thousands of miles away from home.

I will honor your request to forward future information regarding U.S. Army veteran Harris via your email address. However, I will also post it on the Ancestry message board in that there may be others who didn't respond to your posting but may be interested in knowing the outcome of Wilson's plight.

In my first response I failed to mention that a 1973 fire at the National Personnel Records Center ( http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/fire-197... ) destroyed military personnel files dating from 1912 to 1964. According to this web-site these 16-18 million files were never duplicated, or copied to microfilm. This most likely is the reason that Wilson Harris's military history can't be found.

Posted: 28 Jan 2010 3:39AM GMT
Hi, glad to search for possible clues. The Harris family located on the 1930 census of Lonoke County were of color, African American. "Lizzie" is a nickname for Elizabeth, the census notes that she was born in (AR)-Arkansas, her father was born in (KY)-Kentucky and her mother was born in (TN)-Tennessee.

Together, with more research/records we will hopefully locate the "who, what and where" the real Wilson Harris is. ;)

The local newspapers during those years may also have mention of the servicemen that had served during the World War II. I, too, will continue searching.

Posted: 28 Jan 2010 10:03AM GMT
Hi DakotaLitsey,

I’m very happy for your strong will to find out information about our soldier.

When I asked you to write on my e-mail, I wouldn’t be impolite with the people that share your search on ancestry, I only need of do a private chat with you, so no problem at all if you will use only the Message Boards.

Posted: 28 Jan 2010 10:14AM GMT
Hi DRGroots,

Thank you for the explanation. I hope to hear soon good news from you.

Posted: 4 Feb 2010 7:28PM GMT
Write to Mrs. Sherryl Miller, director, Lonoke County Museum, PO Box 873, Lonoke, Ar. 72086
She is a whiz at the old records and probably your best bet.
Just tell her Linda said she would try and help.
If you can call this very day or tomorrow-(Fri.) then try phoning 501-676-6750.
Wishing you the best-
Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions