Search for content in message boards

death of Henry JONES, blacksmith in Woolwich Arsenal

death of Henry JONES, blacksmith in Woolwich Arsenal

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 11:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Apr 2013 3:16PM GMT
Is there anyone out there that is an expert on The Woolwich Arsenal, particularly around 1900 to 1902. I am trying to find a death certificate for my husband's grandfather who worked here between these dates

Any help would be gratefully accepted

Regards

Margaret Jones

Re: Woolwich Arsenal

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 12:35PM GMT
Edited: 25 Apr 2013 11:59AM GMT
Without a name and where your ancestor lived and died it's very difficult for anyone to help. Not sure how where he worked has much to do with finding his death cert.

Try searching FreeBMD http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ and, if he lived in Kent, http://www.kent.gov.uk/KCC.ROIS.Web.Sites.Public/Pages/Defau...

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 2:55PM GMT
I do realise with a name like HENRY JONES born 1867 in Saltney Flintshire this will be quite difficult. We know quite a lot about him up until 1898 when he married in Highworth, Swindon. We have a birth certificate of his son HRC Jones born in Dec 1900 in Swindon. His father's occupation was Blacksmith in Woolwich Arsenal

I found a marriage certificate of his widow Sarah J Jones nee Smart marrying Edwin Manners in Swindon in 1902. This is where we are stumped as we cannot find a death certificate between Mar 1900 and Aug 1902, there are several that might have fitted the bill but I sent for them and not his death.

Not easy but would welcome ideas

Regards, Margaret

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 7:35PM GMT
Edited: 25 Apr 2013 11:59AM GMT
If he was a blacksmith at Woolwich Arsenal, you might consider posting the details you have on the Kent board. If he worked in the area, he may have died there.

Would you like me to transfer this thread to the Kent board?

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 8:00PM GMT
Surnames: Jones
Yes please, many thanks

Margaret

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 10:13PM GMT
I may be able to look on Friday, but finding information is quite difficult - the Arsenal employed a huge number of people. Henry's son was born in Swindon and Henry's occupation was at the Arsenal, where was Henry living when his son was born? Where was Henry in 1901 census? Do you know anything else about his death? Did he die at work or not or what he died of, accident or illness?

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 7:18AM GMT
Hello, thanks for your reply

On his son's birth certificate it stated that he was a Blacksmith at Woolwich Arsenal. This is all we know.

We don't know where he died as nobody in the family appeared to know about him. As his son was born in Swindon and his wife and son were shown on the 1901 census in Swindon living with her parents. There are no clues as to where he died only that he died between March 1900 and August 1902 (his wife Sarah Jones remarried Edwin Manners in 1902)

I have searched for his death in this time period and have come up with possibilities and sent for death certificates, no success. Also no success in Swindon as I have been to the Crematorium where they have grave details but no success.

I do realise that Woolwich Arsenal employed some 60,000 people so somewhere along the line he was missed.

Any more suggestions please.

Kind regards

Margaret

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 9:48PM GMT
Hi Margaret

I had a busy day today, but I did ask about your query. Unfortunately, I was unable to ascertain the answer to your question. But looking at the 1901 census, I read that Sarah's marital status is single, not widowed. Perhaps they were divorced. Henry may not have died before Sarah remarried.

Have you thought of looking in Henry's home area, Flintshire, for any evidence?

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 2:05PM GMT
Does it say on her 2nd marriage certificate that she was a widow ?

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 4:03PM GMT
Hello again, thanks for the reply, as henry moved away from Saltney when he was young and all his family were in Swindon I am not sure if I will find anything.

Are you thinking I look for a death in this area. I did search possible death records all over the country but nothing seemed to match. However I will revisit this possibility as new records could have been transcribed in the meantime.

Because divorce was expensive at the time I am not sure they would have gone that route. If you think this is possible where would I find divorce records Please?

Thanks for your help

Regards
Margaret
per page

Find a board about a specific topic