Search for content in message boards

Calvin McBride served in WWII died abt 1945

Calvin McBride served in WWII died abt 1945

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 5:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McBride
Hello, my mother was given up at 42 days old, because her father "Calvin McBride" had passed away while serving in the military and I would assume it was the Navy, because she was told it was attacked in Pearl Harbor on way home. But I don't think that is possible, since her birth was in Nov 1945 and wasn't Pearl Harbor attacked in 1944? or before then? Anyway she was told he died serving in the military on a ship in 1945.
Her mother was Dorothy Peterson aka Dorothy L Bennett, 1924-1976. Dorothy was the daughter of James Peterson & Mary Bertha Guthro and attempted to get custody of my mother a few years later but my Mom chose to stay with her adopted mother Miss Julia D Elliott and they relocated to CA from Boston, MA where my Mom was born.

My mom does not have any birth certificate or actual proof of her adoption, her birth, or anything that documents her father was named Calvin McBride or that he was truly her biological father.

My Grandmother and her family lived in Norfolk, MA, Boston areas having migrated from Canada and Denmark. My Mom says her father was Irish, but that is all.

I would guess his birthday to be around 1925 since my grandmother was born in 1924 but right now it's all guesswork :-) Any info would be appreciated.

mellissayr@aol.com

Re: Calvin McBride served in WWII died abt 1945

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 5:13AM GMT
Japan attacked Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941 the following day we declared war on Japan..if Calvin served in the military check for info at National Archives and Fold 3...I believe adoption records are open when the adopting parents die so you could check on that at local historical society or court house perhaps they would have a paper trail..it takes time to sort through info..you could also try to get birth or death certificates (Here in Pa. I went through Vital Records they have those certificates back to 1906) If you knew what Church they belonged to they might have info,when researching leave no rocks unturned..good luck..Elaine

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 5:54AM GMT
go to ancestry.com check their historical site.. I typed in Dorothy Peterson,her birth in Norfolk, Mass.1924, her death 1976, her parents as James Peterson, Mary Bertha Guthro got lots of info and pictures...much info on that page to research..good luck, Elaine

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 12:50PM GMT
Surnames: McBride, Peterson, Gutro
Contacting the church is a great idea, thanks, as for getting more information from family, it wasn't something that was bragged about. It was a "secret"

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 4:33AM GMT
you could also try to check orphans court docket at County Seat where ancestor was from---I found info on ancestor there whose father had died and the Court appointed him a guardian.never know where you might get a lead.good luck, Elaine

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 7:33AM GMT
Thank you Elaine for your tips, the orphans court is great idea, I know there was issues with finalizing her adoption as a child because her mother changed her mind and wanted my Mom back but courts said she would stay with current "adoptive" mother until old enough to make her own decision. At 11 she had to go to court and choose, she chose the adoptive mom but maintained friendship with biological mother too.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 8:56PM GMT
have you gone to ancestry.com their historical site and typed in what info you know on Calvin ? I did..and found several listings of him..one was in the Navy, you might recognize something there, also family trees there of others looking for Calvins.. Elaine

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 12:42AM GMT
Yes I did and yes my it was the Navy he was in. My mom says the ship went down and that's how he died. If we get her birth certificate maybe there will be more clues. In meantime I am going to ask her to consider pulling her early church and school records from those organizations since they are here in our state of CA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions