Search for content in message boards

SNOMAC OKLAHOMA

SNOMAC OKLAHOMA

Posted: 28 Jun 2007 1:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SWEET - LAWSON
Hi, can anyone tell me if there are any known photos or maps of the little old town of Snomac that is no longer in existence today? I know it was located near the town of Wolf.

Re: SNOMAC OKLAHOMA

Posted: 20 Jul 2007 7:41PM GMT
Sorry, I have not pictures of maps, but my book of Oklahoma Place Names says that Snomac was 4 miles se of Bowlegs. A p.o. from 1828 to 1955. Name came from Snowden and McSwenney, developers who drilled a nearby discovery well.

Re: SNOMAC OKLAHOMA (ref reply from 'retteach')

Posted: 22 Jul 2007 1:15AM GMT
I've lived in Seminole all my life (43 yrs) and obviously had heard of 'Snomac', but had never heard where the name came come....very interesting!! But I had always had the impression (from talking to a few remaining old timers) that it was located between the current city of Seminole and Bowlegs...not where you mentioned. But if you or anyone else out there can pass on tidbits of history regarding Snomac, Seminole, and other pieces of interest of this area - I for one, would welcome it and can be send to this message board or my personal email of 'denisechilds@yahoo.com' and be sure to include 'history' in the subject line so I don't delete it thinking it's spam or junk email. I'm a firm believer that no matter how old or young you are - history can/will benefit us all! Thanks for your information!

Sincerely,
Denise
Seminole, OK.

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 5:08AM GMT
Surnames: Sweet-Lawson
I lived in Snomac, Okla. from 1939 until 1943. I do not have a map or know of where one could be found. It was strictly a oilfield boom town,nothing more that a Grocery, service station and post office. I was there today and drove out all the still exsisting roads. I did know the Sweet family and where they lived when I was 12 years old and lived about two miles from them. I also knew the Lawson's but not very well. The oldest resident inthat area now is named Audrey (lawson) Roberts. She is something over ninety years old and the chosen historian of that area. E-mail me if I can be of any further help. Sincerely, C. F. Schornick

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 7:52PM GMT
Hi, I forgot to mention the most important thing that you wanted to know. First, you must know how to get to Wolf, Oklahoma. Take U.S. Hiway 377 south out of Seminole, Ok. for approx. 9 miles. Look For sign on east side of Hwy directing you east on gravel road to Wolf.(About one half mile) There you will come to Old highway. STAy on Gravel road straight across old hwy. Go 1 mile to cross roads.(Gravel) Old Snomac was on this crossroads. No buildings there now. Just open fields and Pastuers. Grocery, Post off. and Service Station (In 1940) set on north side of Road that brought you here. Hope this helps. C. F. Schornick P.S. Sweets lived About three miles north.

Posted: 28 Dec 2007 4:36AM GMT
Surnames: Lavelett
Hello Docholliday32,
I was so pleased to find your two entries on rootsweb re:Snomac. I was beginning to believe that no one else was from there. I was born there in 1932. My parents were Joe and Alice Lavelett. I have no idea why we lived there or how long we lived there. We moved to Seminole, then California (via train) around 1940. Back to OK five years later. I grew up in Norman. Now live in TX. If you can think of any other info about Snomac, I would be interested in hearing about it.Kathy Cavanaugh
kcavan1@verizon.net

Posted: 29 Dec 2007 4:02AM GMT
I wrote you a long letter in reference to your letter on the message board but I e-mailed it straight to your e-mail address listed as Dcavan1@verison.net. Your site would not take delivery. Should you want to know any thing specific about Snomac. Let me know by e-mailing to my address Docholliday32@msn.com I am somewhat of a Historian on Snomac, Oklahoma, Having lived there from 1934 until I graduated from Highschool 1950. Sencerely, C.F. Schornick

Posted: 29 Dec 2007 4:08AM GMT
Surnames: Lavelett
I keep trying to post a message to you but so far no success. Please e-mail me at Docholliday32@msn.com. should you want to know anything more about Snomac. Oklahoma. I consider myself as a historian on that area since i lived there from 1934 until I graduated Highschool 1950. Sincerely , C.F.Schornick

Posted: 1 Jun 2008 1:52PM GMT
Surnames: Baker, South, Phillips
I was born in Snomac in 1940. My grandmother died a month later. Her house was down the road about 1/4 mile from the old gas station, where the concrete pillars stand today, used for oild changes in Model A's.....in addition there was a small cafe. My mother worked as a waitress there from 1938 to a few months after I was born. My dad worked the oil fields and was a master welder. When the war broke out dad went into the Army, and we moved to California with my 2 aunts, whose husbands also joined the Army. My grandfather was Charlie Columba Baker, born in Indian territories in 1886, Grandmother Cora Bell was a baby during the land run of 1889. They are both buried at Little Cemetary between the old town of Snomac and Bowlegs. After the war I attended Bowlegs Jr. High school, eventually went into the military and went to Vietnam for 11 years. My dad was born in DePew Oklahoma, and mother at Seminole Just after Oklahoma became a State. Family fought on the side of the Confederacy during the war of Northrun Aggression......Mom's side of the family is part Cherokee. Great Grandmother was Sarah Ann South, sister to Josephine L South and reportedly descended from Patrick Henry. Although I have found nothing to substantiate it...mom has said that the Confederate General Stand Watie was a close relative.

Posted: 1 Jun 2008 2:41PM GMT
Charles,
Thank you for your post. Someone in your family has done a lot of research and found some interestng ancestry connections.
Thanks,
Kathy Cavanaugh
League City, TX
per page

Find a board about a specific topic