Search for content in message boards

Reed Family 1800

Reed Family 1800

John J. Evans (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Evans, Rather, Reed, Wheat
I am trying to find any information on a John Reed family that resided in Burke County on or about 1800. John had a son named Edward and possibily a James, Warren and Rueben. They suppposely moved to White or Warren County Tennessee with the Martin and Shell families of Burke County after 1800. I have heard historian say he heard they came from an area called Gun Powder Creek. Does or has an area called that exist? Any information would be appreciated.

Re: Reed Family 1800

Posted: 26 Jul 2005 6:36PM GMT
Just saw your message on the message board. There is a Gunpowder Creek in what is now Caldwell Co., NC. My dad's family lived near there in what is now the town of Granite Falls. I don't live there but have heard the names Martin and and Reed. Hope this helps.

Re: Reed Family 1800

Charles R. Lail (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2005 12:18AM GMT
Gunpowder Creek does indeed exist. Beginnng NW of the town of Granite Falls, Caldwell County, NC, a dam was built so there could be an iron forge run off water power, and I think a grinding mill was also close by. The lake created by the dam is called the Old Mill Pond, and is accessible off the Dudley Shoals Rd. Below that dam is another much smaller Little Dam. that dam empties into the waters of Lake Hickory on the Catawba River chain.

Sorry I can't answer anything about the Reed family.

Happy Hunting
Charles Lail
Catawba County NC
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions