Search for content in message boards

William Henry Griffiths m Mary Newill.

William Henry Griffiths m Mary Newill.

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 3:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Griffiths/Newill
Would someone please be kind enough to help me find the above marriage? I'm trying to find the name of William's father & his occupation. I found the announcement of the marriage in a newspaper & this is what was written:
Jan 6th 1880 at the Parish Church of Old Chorlton, Kent by the Rev C H Marriott MA of Blackheath, & the Rev R Fisher MA Vicar of Biscot, Beds, the Rev William Henry Griffiths, Rector of Mainstone, Shrops to Mary Newill, eldest daughter of the late Henry Newill Esq, British Resident of Travancore & of H M Civil Service in India.
I'm trying to have proof of who his father was & thought that if I could find the PR it would give his name & occupation, but I can't find it on FMP PR's.
Also I'm not really sure of the name of the Parish Church of Old Chorlton.
Please can anyone help?
Many thanks,
Rosalyn

Re: William Henry Griffiths m Mary Newill.

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 7:38PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Griffiths Newill
Marriage
William Henry Griffiths ~ Mary Newill
Year 1880 Qtr Mar Dist: Woolwich Vol 1d Pg 1139
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Sue

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 9:36PM GMT
Surnames: Griffiths/Newill
Thanks Sue, I have this, what I need is an original image from the PR's, a marriage & banns record that shows his father's name & occupation. So I probably need someone who knows what the Parich Church in Old Chorlton is called & who can possibly go there & look through the PR's or who can tell me which church to contact & I'll email them to ask for a look up.

Thanks again, Rosalyn

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 8:27PM GMT
Hi Roslyn

I think the newspaper announcement has a misprint (or you have misread it). There is no "Old Chorlton" in Kent. Based on the district in which the marriage was registered I am confident that the church in question was St Luke, Old Charlton. Most of the registers in this part of Kent (now south east London) are held at the London Metropolitan Archives and are therefore available via Ancestry. St Luke's are not - they are at the Greenwich Heritage Centre.

You have two choices: either contact the Greenwich Heritage Centre and see how much they will charge you to find the relevant entry and photocopy it for you, or order the marriage certificate (which will be identical to the entry in the register) from the GRO using the reference you have already been given. The latter route, if done directly, will cost £9.25 including worldwide postage.

Hope this helps

Caroline

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 11:39PM GMT
Surnames: griffiths/newill
Yes, mea culpa, I meant Old ChArlton, but it's easy to do a typo like Roslyn instead of RosAlyn!!

Thank you anyway for all your help & for directing me for sure to St Luke's as I wasn't sure if it was St Thomas's.

I'll contact Greenwich & see what they have to say, otherwise I guess I have to fork out another 9pounds 25p. This family tree business certainly eats up the cash!

Actually you say the marr cert will be identical to the one they photocopy, but over the years, especially before they went on line, I've had 2 marr certs copied incorrectly & gone on a wild goose chase for a name that didn't exist, due again to someone not reading the original carefully enough. It's easy to do as you can see. So I'll much prefer a photocopy!

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated advice.

Regards, Rosalyn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions