Starling Parker / Madison Co.

Starling Parker / Madison Co.

Posted: 12 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Nov 2005 12:30AM GMT
Surnames: PARKER, COLLINS
Am searching for the burial location of my G-G-G-grandfather
Starling Parker. Records indicate he died November 17, 1853
in Madison Co. but have not been able to establish where the date came from or where he is buried. His daughter Martha Parker married George Columbus Collins. I have information on this family. Any other info would be appreciated

Starling Parker

Terry Yates (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Parker, Jenkins
Doris Keeler posted a query about Starling Parker of Madison Co. I, too, am a ggg-granddau. of Starling. His date of death was listed in your query as Nov. 17, 1853. I found a message on Genealogy.com, genforum that showed an excerpt from "Ga. Genealogical Magazine". It stated that Starling was from Bulloch Co., Ga and fought in the War of 1812 and received 80 acres of bounty land in Madison for fighting. In 1855, John Parker, guardian of Starling's minor children (he was deceased) applied for additional bounty land for the children. He stated that Starling died in Dec. 1853. I don't know which of these dates of death is correct., but he supposedly died in Madison Co. John Parker must be Starling and Martha Gruber Parker's son, born in 1826. You stated that you have additional info on this family. Do you know his parents names or if he was American Indian as our family legend suggests? Would appreciate hearing from you. Terry Yates

Re: Starling Parker / Madison Co.

Posted: 19 Jul 2001 3:54AM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2002 4:32AM GMT
Surnames: Parker, Odom, Baxter
Starling Parker had three known wives, I descend from the third wife, Mary Milton. Am interested in any information on Starling.

Re: Starling Parker

Posted: 11 Aug 2001 6:59AM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2002 2:08AM GMT
terry you need to email me !
You are the first person besides myself that i have seen on one of these boards that suggests that this family was possibly native american . according to my aunts and uncles they all claim the parkers were in fact native american either creek or charokee . But i have been unable to make the connection . I am a ggg grand daughter of starling parker and mary milton . I will tell you all i know if you are willing to share what you have .
thanks Billie alber

Terry Yates (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2001 5:36PM GMT
Billie, I'd be happy to exchange info. My family lore on the Parker's had always insisted they were Amer. Indian. A picture I have of my ggrandmother, Virginia Parker, pretty much confirms it. My gr. Aunt Bessie from Perry, Fla, who died in her 90's, also insisted that her mother was Indian. I never knew what kind, though, until I was in Email contact with Nancy Collins. Do you know her? She informed me that the Parkers were Creek, which makes sense since they originate from and area near where I live and I know that the predominant tribe here was Creek. Nancy never did tell me how she came across this info...guess I should write her again and find out. If you want (and she agrees), I'll send you her Email address. Did you also know that the Parker's were descended from the Salzburgers (who came to the America's, via Savannah, to escape religious persecution in Europe for being Lutherans)? That is my line, though, because I'm from the Starling Parker/Martha Groover (Gruber) marriage. I believe Mary Milton was his third and final wife who outlived him by only a few months. Let me know if you find out any news on the Parker's, please, and I'll let you know any info that I hear. Terry Yates P.S. If you want any other info on the Starling Parker line, let me know. Did you know we are also supposed to be related to Quannah Parker, a famous Comanche War Chief?

Posted: 17 Sep 2002 1:55PM GMT
I am a descendant of the Starling Parker/Mary Milton marriage through their son Ancil Marion Parker who married Sarah Louvenia Denmark. Looking for any info I can find on Starling Parker.

Terry Yates (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2002 3:38AM GMT
Surnames: Parker
Terri, Starling was born in 1793 in Effingham Co., Ga. Part of this county later became Bulloch Co. I found this on the Parker family Genealogy Forum:
from:"Ga Genealogical Magazine" (Oct. 1962, pg. 6) abstracts of land grants...
Starling Parker of Madison Co., FL, formerly of Bulloch Co., Ga made an application to obtain bounty land in Madison Co., Apr. 7, 1851. At that time he was 58 yrs. old. He had been a prvt. in Capt. James Clark's co. in an artillery regiment commanded by Adj. Gen. Marks in the War of 1812. He volunteered in Bulloch Co.as a substitute for C. Geiger in Capt. Peter Cone's co., but was drafted to serve @ Parramore's Hill, Ga on Mar. 6 or 26, 1814, for a term of 6 months and was honorably discharged at Ft. Jackson (Savannah) on Sept. 26, 1814. His application was approved and he was granted 80 acres of bounty land in Madison Co. He died there on Nov. 17, 1853 leaving his widow, Mary Milton, who died June 16, 1854 (the same date as the birth of her final child-she must have died in childbirth). His previous wives were: 1. Hannah Harriet Schubtrein, 2. Stephanie Poppell, 3. Martha Patsy Gruber (my line) and lastly, Mary. He had , to the best of my knowledge, 16 children with his wives. I have the names of 13. If you need any names for these children, let me know. I don't think anyone has been able to find Starling's parents or where they are from. Most family folklore is that the Parkers were Indian. If so, that could explain the lack of info. I've been told they were Creek, but have not found any Amer. Indian census records for those times. If you find anything, let me know. Good luck, Terry

diane thomas (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2003 2:50PM GMT
Terry, my cousin (Keith McVay) and I are also researching the Starling Parker family. Our link is Willima M. Parker married to MAry Milton. Starling was born 1793 in Effingham County, GA. Died 11/17/1853 in Madison, Fl. We have names of children by all three wives, with birth and death dates on most. Keith was also told that Starling was a Creek (Muskogee)Indian. I will be happy to share what we have. Keith has been to Perry to get most of our data. We are planning another trip this month. Thanks and I hope to hear from you.

Posted: 6 May 2003 2:29PM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2005 12:30AM GMT
Diane,
I am a descendant of Starling Parker through is daughter Martha Parker Collins. She was the daughter of Starling and his wife Martha Groover. My GGGrandmother married George Columbus Collins and are both buried in Taylor County. Do you have any more information on where Starling was buried or even where Martha Groover was buried? What about Starling's parents? I have the Collins line, but would love to fill in the gaps on the Parker line as well.
Thanks.
Doris COLLINS Keeler

diane thomas (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2003 2:58PM GMT
Surnames: Parker
Doris, my cousin, Keith McVay and I are descendents of Starling and Mary Milton (-son William M. Parker). Keith went to Perry, Fl (Taylor County) and researched what data we have. Starling is supposed to be buried in either Madison or Taylor County, Fl. He was was supposed to be a Muskogee Creek Indian.

Have you researched all of the children of MArtha Groover?

Keith and I are planning on a trip again to Taylor County this month. I will let you know what we find.

Thanks and great to hear from you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions