Search for content in message boards

Kirby Family in Prince George's County, MD, 1700's

Kirby Family in Prince George's County, MD, 1700's

Elizabeth Stuerke (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2002 9:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kirby, Neale, Talbot, Lockyer, Lewger
My ancestor Sarah Kirby married Theodorus (Dorus) Neale in Prince George's County, Maryland, on 7 May, 1778. Her father's name is given as Richard, who died in 1785. I would very much like to learn more about the Kirby family and particularly about the parentage of Richard Kirby/Kerby. I have seen some sources who show that he was the son of Enoch Kirby, who by my best guess, working backward, would have to be born around 1710 or 1715. A probable sister of Richard was Elizabeth Kirby (b. 1741), who married Thomas Ignatius Carrico. They lived for a time in Washington County, MD.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has information about this family.

Re: Kirby Family in Prince George's County, MD, 1700's

Posted: 12 Jan 2005 1:04PM GMT
Surnames: Kirby, Douglas, Jonkin, Russell, Drake
Elizabeth,
I am from a Enoch Kirby family too. I know Enoch born Montgomery MD and died 1824 in Pendleton Co. KY and married a Sarah? This line settled in KY with 4 brothers coming to IN and IL. Mine settled in Edgar Co and CLark Co,Illinois. Are we connected.?

Elizabeth Stuerke (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2005 2:20PM GMT
Surnames: Kirby, Neale, Carrico, Talbot
Thanks for your response. I do suspect that our Kirbys are connected in some way, although I am not sure how. I have never been able to get back past my Richard Kirby (d. ca. 1786) to know who his father actually is, or how he is connected to the Elizabeth Kirby who married Thomas Ignatius Carrico, and who lived in Washington County, MD before moving to Kentucky (Nelson County, I believe).

I now live near Edgar County, Illinois--small world!

Can you go back any farther than your Enoch, b. 1824, as to who his father was?

Posted: 5 Jul 2012 6:18PM GMT
Surnames: Parker, Kirby, Williams, DeHart
I have the same question, how does the Enoch Kirby of about 1750 relate to the Enoch Kirby who had a daughter who married Thomas I. Carrico. These cannot be the same Enoch Kirbys. The younger Enoch Kirby had a daughter, also named Elizabeth, but she married a John Pope Williams. I descend from Enoch Kirby's son, Charles (A?) Kirby who married Suzanna Williams and through their son, Charles S. Kirby who married Eliza Lizzie Parker and through their daughter, Mary Ellen Kirby, who married Thomas Jefferson DeHart. I have found that my Charles Kirby (through Find a Grave) was born 17 Feb 1779 and died 16 May 1863 in Edgar, IL. This Charles Kirby is also on KY records with Enoch Kirby, probably his father. Any additional help would be appreciated. Shirl

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 12:07PM GMT
Surnames: Kirby, Williams, Drake, Douglas,
Hi,
I am still working on the Kirby's too. My aunt seems to think they were of Irish desc. I can not find info to lead me there.
I keep running into the Enoch Kirby (1713-1785)that married Mollie Maupin (1716-1790)in Charles/ Prince George, MD, whos children were :
Elizabeth 1741 married the Thomas Ignatius Carrico
Sarah 1750 married Theodore Neal
Enoch 1755
Do you have any thoughts on this family?
Sharlynn

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 1:47PM GMT
Surnames: Kirby, Neale, Carrico, Brown, Wilmoth
My Sarah Kirby who married Theodorus Neale was a known daughter of RICHARD Kirby/Kerby. Some researchers suggest that he was a son of Enoch Kirby, but Richard's birthday appears to be ca. 1726. If Enoch Kirby really was born in 1716 (and I have no reason to think that he was not) then he couldn't have been the father of my Richard Kirby.
Also, there is a gap of many years between Richard, b. 1726, and his potential sister Elizabeth (m. Thomas Ignatius Carrico), b. 1741. Of course, there could have been other now unknown siblings between them. However, I don't think that they were siblings, based on the various birth dates.

There are strong connectives between my Kirby/Neale family and the Kirby/Carrico family (primarily in Washington County, MD, and then later in Kentucky, and therefore I do firmly believe that they are somehow related. Perhaps (please note the word "perhaps" amd the subsequent question mark) my Richard Kirby is a younger brother of Enoch?

I have attempted to research my Kirby family, with the help of a professional researcher in Maryland, and I cannot find anything firm any farther back than Richard Kirby (ca. 1726-15 Oct 1785). It isn't for lack of trying!

I can send you the names of Richard's children, if you would care to see those. Certain given names might suggest some kind of connection to you.

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 11:49AM GMT
I am planning to research the Kirby family in the future but do have some info now. My triple great grandmother was Anne Kirby (1785-1858), called Nancy, She was the daughter of Francis Xavier Kirby(c.1763-1831) and Elizabeth Collard (1764-c1802). Her uncle was John Baptist Kirby. Francis, Elizabeth,and John Baptist are all buried at St. John's Church, Broad Creek.

My limited research shows Anne's father, Francis Xavier Kirby, was the son of Richard and Mary Kirby. This Richard was born "before 1730 in Prince George's County, MD" and died 22 Oct. 1785 in PG County, MD. One of his children was Sarah who married Theodorus Neale. This info came from rootsweb from "1658-1758 Charles County MD Families "The first 100 years". It gives a lot of info about the line.

Sarah would have been my ancestor Nancy's aunt. And your Sarah and my Francis Xavier were brother and sister.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 2:19AM GMT
I am so glad to see someone that has information on Sarah Kirby and Theodorus Neale. My line is through there son William Neal who married Mary 'Polly' Price. Thank you for the help. I am trying to work on this line and I am so stuck, any help would be greatly appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic