Search for content in message boards

Brenton

Posted: 17 Jul 2009 1:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jul 2009 12:01PM GMT
Surnames: BRENTON, SUTTON
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY....I went to the link you posted and read all the information I could find on the 65th Regt. at least I know what it means now thank you again !! Yes I know where he is buried and the information you have is correct.....Clida P Brenton (Sutton ) is my grandmother and Otto P Brenton is my grandfather. They are both buried In Union Cemetary right outside of Doniphan Mo. it's a small family owned (Sutton) cemetary. I have a picture of their tombstones side by side and I also have a copy of his death certificate. The problem is I cannot find anything on his parents or siblings or anything. We have information on him but it stops with him! I went to the national archives but there is sooooo much on that website I don't have clue how to search on there. His death certificate states his fathers name is Jas Brenton....Mothers listed as "UNKNOWN" .My grandmother never spoke about him to me nor did my mother who did'nt know much about him either since he died when she was about 12. HIs place of birth is listed as VELBEN INDIANA on the death certificate .... which does not exist according to search engines on the web and map. I have ran out of Idea's ....Can a person get a copy of someones military records when you are a grandchild and not the person child? Birth certifacate is suppose to be harder to get I was told.
Thank you again for your help....sorry this is so long a post !!
TheresaHise48

Brenton

Posted: 17 Jul 2009 3:47AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2009 12:02PM GMT
To start you're looking for "Velpen" Indiana, an unincorporated area in Pike County, here's a link to a Wiki site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velpen,_Indiana

Here's an abstract of Otto's World War 1 Draft registration card from 5 June 1917-
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Otto Perry Brenton
Name: Otto Perry Brenton
County: Pike
State: Indiana
Birthplace: Indiana;United States of America
Birth Date: 30 Apr 1894
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1653179
DraftBoard: 0

His draft card stated he was a farmer working for a Henry Garison in Marion, Indiana. He had two brothers under 12 he was caring for.

Now for his father. Jas is usually a shortened version of James. So I did a search and came up with Otto P. and his father James in Marion, Pike, Indiana in the 1900 census:

1900 United States Federal Census
about Otto P Brenton
Name: Otto P Brenton
Home in 1900: Marion, Pike, Indiana
Birth Date: Apr 1895
Birthplace: Indiana
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Relationship to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: James S
Father's Birthplace: Indiana Parents b. Indiana and Ktcky
Mother's Name: Marthea B
Mother's Birthplace: Indiana Parents born Kentucky
Married: 1892
Marital Status: Single (for Otto)
Residence : Marion Township, Pike, Indiana
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
James S Brenton 28
Marthea B Brenton 26
Otto P Brenton 5
Marthia J Brenton 1
Malinda S Brenton 25 sister-in-law Parents b. Ktcky

Heres a little more info- James S. Brenton in the 1880 Census in Marion, Pike, Indiana
You have saved this record to My Ancestry (Shoebox).
You have saved this record to My Ancestry (People I'm Looking For).
This record has been added to your shoebox.
1880 United States Federal Census
about James S. Brenton
Name: James S. Brenton
Home in 1880: Marion, Pike, Indiana
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1871
Birthplace: Indiana
Relation to Head of Household: Son
Father's Name: Perry
Father's birthplace: Indiana
Mother's Name: Liddia
Mother's birthplace: Kentucky
Neighbors: View others on page
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Cannot read/write:

Blind:

Deaf and dumb:

Otherwise disabled:

Idiotic or insane: View image
Household Members: Name Age
Perry Brenton 44
Liddia Brenton 44
George W. Brenton 23
Easter M. Brenton 14
James S. Brenton 9
Maggie J. Brenton 4

Hopefully this will get you started on your Brenton line. Military records are restricted to spouse, children, parents or brothers/sisters of veterans. If any of them are alaive you can have them complete the form to get a copy of his records.
Look over these records and let me know if you need some help with anything else.

Brenton

Posted: 17 Jul 2009 4:29AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2009 12:03PM GMT
Here's some info on the Civil War service of James S. Brenton's father, Perry Brenton.

U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865
about Perry Brenton
Name: Perry Brenton
Side: Union
Regiment State/Origin: Indiana
Regiment Name: 80 Indiana Infantry
Regiment Name Expanded: 80th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
Company: H
Rank In: Private
Rank In Expanded: Private
Rank Out: Private
Rank Out Expanded: Private
Film Number: M540 roll 8

U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles
about Perry Brenton
Name: Perry Brenton
Residence: Winslow, Indiana
Enlistment Date: 20 Aug 1862
Rank at enlistment: Private
State Served: Indiana
Survived the War?: Yes
Service Record: Enlisted in Company H, Indiana 80th Infantry Regiment on 20 Aug 1862.
Mustered out on 22 Jun 1865 at Salisbury, NC.

Sources: Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana

There is also a pension record, his wife Lyda applied for an Invalid pension on 19 Feb. 1883 application # 472812 and certificate # 317403 and a Widows pension on 15 Jan. 1909, application # 911666 and certificate # 675927

Posted: 17 Jul 2009 5:09AM GMT
Classification: Military
Edited: 17 Jul 2009 12:02PM GMT
Surnames: BRENTON
I am BLOWN AWAY.....I CANNOT SAY THANK YOU ENOUGH !!!!!
I would have never found all of that....I was looking in all the wrong places with the wrong town names and County names....I was searching the National Archives when your email notice came in and was not getting anywhere other than I cannot get a copy ...lol....I AM SO VERY THANKFUL YOU CANNOT EVEN IMAGINE !Anyone who would of had any information on him and his family has long passed....the last one passed at 96 in May 2009 and she only had a picture and only knew the information that was on the tombstone as she was the youngest in the family and he was married to her oldest sister. She barely remembered him. My Mother (Ottos daughter) is the only child he had that we are aware of so you gave numerous years of wondering and searching .......THANK YOU , WHAT A WONDERFUL GIFT TO GIVE SOMEONE !!!!

Re: HELP PLEASE ARTY MEANS ????

Posted: 17 Jul 2009 5:17AM GMT
You're more than welcome. Someone kindly took the time to help me when I first started, so I'm always happy to pass that help on. If you wish to contact me please fell free at ycaso77@yahoo.com in regards to any questions on these records.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic