Search for content in message boards

Newport,Nantucket and New Bedford Mass Rodmans

Newport,Nantucket and New Bedford Mass Rodmans

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 2:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
I recently came across 8 silhouettes done by the Peale Museum in Philadelphia in the early 1800's. The sitters were William Rotch, William Rotch, Jr, Samuel Rodman, his wife, Elizabeth Rotch Rodman, and their children, Samuel, Eliza, William Rotch Rodman, and Sarah Rodman Morgan. Sarah was the wife of Charles Walp Morgan. The Rotch's, Rodman's and Morgans were very important during the 1800's in the whaling industry in New Bedford, Mass, and many of their homes are restored and in the historical district. I am a collector of silhouettes, so this was a double thrill for me. At present, I cannot connect Samuel to our line of Rodman's. Samuel was b 1753 in Newport, son of Thomas Rodman and Mary Borden. I have sent the silhouettes to a restorationist, but do have excellent photocopies if anyone would like them.

Re: Newport,Nantucket and New Bedford Mass Rodmans

Posted: 22 Jun 2005 1:32AM GMT
Surnames: Rodman, Adams, Fenimore, Clime, Gilbert
The silhouettes are probably the same ones that are in the book of Rodman Genealogy by Jones. They are nice looking.

Samuel that married Elizabeth Rotch was the son of Thomas Rodman and Mary Borden, Thomas died at sea leaving seven children. Thomas was the son of Samuel Rodman and Mary Willett. This Samuel was the son of Thomas Rodman and his 3rd wife Hannah Clark. This Thomas was the son of John Rodman of Barbados. Hope this helps.

Sandra Rodman (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2005 11:39AM GMT
Dawn-
When I saw these silhouettes, I, too thought they were the ones I saw in the Rdoman book, however, they are not. I kind of knew who they were when I recognized the Rotch name associated with Rodman. I am really interested to have any information on Robert Woodruff Rodman, b NYC 1812 d NYC 1894, son of John Rodman and Rhoda Woodruff. Would you have anything on him in your files?
Thank you.
Sandra

Dawn Heminway (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2005 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Rodman, Fenimore, Adams, Clime, Gilbert etc. NJ
Sandra, I have not persued the NY Rodman's very much. I do not have any info in my files for Robert Woodruff Rodman. My line goes into NJ mainly. I do have a considerable amount of info on the NJ line. If I come across anything on this Robert Rodman I'll past it on to you. I do have some CD's with info from Westchester Co. NY. I have early wills, wills and cemeteries and records of New Rochelle, NY. Also Westchester Co Quaker records and Cemetery Inscriptions. If you or someone else researching the Rodman's from Westchester Co NY would like me to look for someone please let me know.

Posted: 2 Jan 2007 8:32AM GMT
Surnames: Fenimore, Leroy, Steel, Ogle
How does the name Fenimore fit in your family tree?

Posted: 4 Jan 2007 1:55AM GMT
My gtgdfather Joseph Rodman married sarah fenimore, they are from NJ. I have some info on this Fenimore line back to England, my line comes from Richard fenimore and Mary Crook of Tingewick, Eng. removed to Willingborough, NJ. Most of my info would relate to the NJ Fenimores.

Dawn

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 9:23AM GMT
Surnames: Fenimore, Leroy, Steel, Ogle, Humble
Not sure if any of my relatives lived un NJ, there was my Grandmother's brother Thomas Fenimore that disappeared around age 19 though who may have made it that way. Any Thomas' in your family?
TIA

Posted: 11 Jul 2007 5:51AM GMT
i am Deborah Annette Fenimore, born in 1957 to Robert Lyn Fenimore; who is deceased. His dad's name was Zachary, his mother's name Marilyn. We had all lived in the Harlingen, Texas area; which I am still here.

Posted: 20 Apr 2009 3:19AM GMT
Surnames: Rodman, Drake, Willett, Fowler, Vincent/Vinson, Butler, Bon
I am looking for any Rodman marriage to a Drake in the area of Westchester Co., NY. I have a Joseph Drake b. 1717 England who married a Jane, last named unknown in 1751 in Eastchester, Westchester Co., NY. She died in 1760. Joseph's first son of his third marriage was named Joseph Rodman Drake b. 1762. This is the first time that the Rodman name was used in the Drake family. It appeared again with the poet Joseph Rodman Drake. I would like to find where this name came from.I am trying to connect this Drake line to another Drake like that married into the DeKay and Willett family of NY who were intermarried to the Rodmans.

RODMAN ROTCH/ROCH

Posted: 20 May 2009 12:49PM GMT
Surnames: RODMAN
Nice to see you are still on the Rodman research trail,Scott.
I note your Rodman Rotch message with interest

As the QUAKER RECORDS (below) from Swarthmore College suggest, the Rodman and Rotch families were known to each other because of their English mercantile connections.
The port of Bristol, Gloucestershre where I believe the John Rodman of interest sailed from for Barbados in 1659 as an indentured servant, was a port of considerable mercantile movement between England and the New World Colonies in the mid 1600s.
Could these families possibly have been known to each other
before the Quaker era?
THIS EARLY RODMAN-ROCH RECORD FROM GLOUCESTERSHIRE MIGHT SUGGEST SO DESPITE THE SPELLING VARIATION

1578 GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHIVES

ROCH
RODMAN
Son in law Thos RODMAN of Rangeworthy & his sons Jn & Hugh; dtr married to Jn ROCH & their 2 dtrs; son Thos exec.
Probate 1578. Researched from LDS Film #0091316.
[Wills abstracted by Leslie Mahler in 1998: Cromhall, &c. 1568-1589]

Abstract Society of Friends
The Rodman and Rotch families were New England Quakers. Samuel Rodman (1753-1835) married Elizabeth Rotch (1757-1856) in 1780. He was a successful Nantucket and New Bedford, Massachusetts, whaling merchant and clerk of New England Yearly Meeting. Elizabeth (Rotch) Rodman was a birthright member of the Society of Friends, also from a family involved in the whaling business, and active in philanthropic and reform causes. They had nine children. The Rodmans and Rotches were closely intertwined by marriage; three of the Rodman siblings married three of the Rotch siblings. The families also had links to Philadelphia and English mercantile families. The collection contains chiefly personal correspondence (1763-1865) of the extended Rodman and Rotch families, along with travel journals (1805, 1807, 1809) and a manuscript copy of the autobiographical memoir of William Rotch (1734-1828), the father of Elizabeth Rotch Rodman, and some related material. The families had links to Philadelphia and English mercantile families. Some of the letters have been transcribed into typed copies. There are also a small number of Quaker manuscripts, including accounts of Priscilla Cadwallader's sermon delivered at Newport, R.I., in 1824; Samuel Spavold's Prophesy or Testimony in 1749; and Robert Barrow's testimony at the funeral of George Fox.
Best wishes.
Rod Down Under.

From FAYE RODMAN, LEONARD RODMAN THOMAS G RODMAN, GEORGE T RODMAN (TASMANIA)JONAH RODMAN, THOMAS RODMAN JNR THOMAS RODMAN SNR GLOUCESTERSHIRE,ENGLAND
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions