Search for content in message boards

townland Curry, co Sligo

townland Curry, co Sligo

Ed Smith (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lynch
Trying to locate Lynch's Buried at the Catholic Church in or around Curry. Looking for church name.

Tobercurry cemetery

Paul Burns (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
I visited an old Catholic cemetery about 1 1/2 miles west of Tobercurry on the road to Ballina. It is on the south side of the road about 100 years in and not easy to find. The cemetery, whose name I don't know, was badly overgrown, and I imagine there is one elsewhere in current use.

Rhue cemetery

Michael Tobin (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Some of the Curry people are buried in Rhue cemetery which is just off the main road from Curry to Tubbercurry, approx 2 miles from Curry I'd say. I don't know what other cemetery's might be in use in Curry, but I'd be fairly sure that there are others.

regards
Michael

More on Ballyara

Some interesting information on Ballyara extracted from the Ordnance Suvery Memoirs in 1836.

"Ballyara Abbey and Clergy
In the year 1796 the Irish Defenders were encamped in the 2 adjoining forts of the townland of Rue, until Captain Courtney and his company dispersed them, who was then quartered in Tubbercurry. The principal commander or captain of the Defenders was shot and buried in the old abbey of Ballyara, parish of Achonry. On that day there was a friar from Rome in the graveyard; he stated that it was exactly 900 years since the abbey and castle of Ballyara, Bellclare and Castle Rock was built.

In the year 1834 several large and most powerful skulls was dug up in the garden of James Golden, townland of Ballyara and parish of Achonry. In former days there had been a battle fought there, and the giant which is buried in the townland of Rathscanlin, parish of Achonry, was killed at that battle."

Also, the following interesting story which I heard concerning the graveyard is that there is a famous horse buried there which won a big race in England back in the 1800's and that there is actually a monument to the horse in the graveyard with the inscription "The Pride of Ballyara" !!

Ballyara

Paul Burns (View posts)
Thanks for the info. Although I did not see it when I visited the area, the Discovery Map No. 25 shows a castle nearby. I will revisit it next month, and also check the Sligo library to see if the tombstones have been indexed.

Ballyara Cemetery

I think that the cemetery to which you refer is Ballyara Cemetery.

Its quite a famous location as its also the location of an old castle which belonged to the O'Hara's and was one of their chief places of residence.

regards
Michael

Curry

J McGuinn (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Lynch family members could be buried in any one of the following cemeteries;

(1) Drumahilian cemetery approximately one mile from Curry RC church. Burials took place here in the 19th century,(possibly before), and the 20th century; I was at a funeral there in 1973 or so but I think that it is closed to burials now. With some effort you can read the inscriptions on some headstones.

(2) Benada(Banada)cemetery approximately four miles from Curry RC church. Burials have taken place here since the 18th century approximately. Many Curry people lie buried in this cemetery. It is situated in the parish of Tourlestrane and is more or less closed to burials today.
It is in a state of decay in more ways than one. Names can be read on some headstones.
My family had a tombstone erected here to the memory of my gggrandfather in the 1830s. With the passage of years it had fallen sideways but the writing was legible. When I visited it in the mid 1980s it was vandalised and smashed in four. A similar fate happened a Brennan family tombstone not far from ours at the same time.
Under the Health Acts, Sligo Co Council are responsible for this cemetery but they denied any responsibility in the vandalism at the time.However an official in the council offices put the blame on "researchers". In fact no permission was given to researchers to carry out any study on the tombstones or leave a hand on them.

(3) Rhue cemetery approximately three miles from Curry RC church. Burials have taken place here since it was opened in 1900 or thereabouts. Many, many Curry people are buried here. This cemetery is also in the parish of Tourlestrane.
It is well kept and names can be identified on most headstones. It is still open.

(4) Bunnacranagh cemetery approximately one quarter of a mile from Curry RC church. This cemetery was opened in 1963 or so. Most Curry burials have taken place here since then. It is a very well kept cemetery and the names can easily be read on every headstone or grave marker.
The name and address of the church in Curry is:

Church of the Immaculate Conception,
Curry,
Ballymote,
Co Sligo.

Only clergy are buried in the church grounds.
Some people from the parish have also been buried in Charlestown, Carrowcastle and Achonry cemeteries.

Tobercurry cemetery

Eileen Martin (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Another cemetery in the area is Banada old cemetery. I do have an obit notice which gave this name as the place of burial. Eileen Martin

Gardners/Stensons in Aclare and Curry

Posted: 30 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2001 5:18AM GMT
Surnames: Gardner, Stenson
I was wondering if someone knows which cemetery my Gardner ancestors are buried. My Great-Great-Grandfather Patrick Gardner was from Aclare or Curry, County Sligo. Patrick married Eliza Stenson in the 1860’s. At least two of their children were born in Aclare. I would appreciate any information on the Gardners or Stensons.

Thanks!

Neil

A Catholic Horse

Paul Burns (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
A horse may be buried in Ballygara cemetery. In the Sligo library records I found the following tombstone inscription recorded for Grave 2 Side D:

"The pride of Ballygara tread softly o'er this spot. If blood can give nobility a noble steed was he, His sire was blood and blood his dam and all his pedigree. This slab is in remembrance of a famous thoroughbred that netted a fortune for the Mularkey family. In Black 47, the famine years, Dr. J.P. Mularkey purchased two cargoe of Oatmeal and 2 cargoe of Potatos and carted to Drumartin, Aclare, Tubbercurry as a gift. We shall ne'er see his like again."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions