Search for content in message boards

O'Rourkes in Missouri

O'Rourkes in Missouri

Posted: 7 Jul 2007 2:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been compiling a spreadsheet of O'Rourkes who lived in Missouri, particularly in the St. Louis area. At this point, I have over 840 people in the spreadsheet and have been able to identify the following family lines so far:

Jeremiah O'Rourke (b. 1826 in Ireland) and Mary Fay (born 1831 in Ireland)
Jeremiah O'Rourke (born 1825 in Ireland) and Mary Foley (born 1837 in Ireland)
Thomas O'Rourke (born Ireland; birth year unknown) and Margaret Dwyer (born Ireland; birth year unknown)
Martin O'Rourke (born about 1843 in Ireland) and Margaret Dwyer (born aboutt 1837 in Ireland)
Thomas O'Rourke (born about 1825 in Ireland) and Ellen McGrath (born about 1837 in Ireland)
William O'Rourke (born about 1843 in Ireland) and Catherine Whearty (born about 1845 in Massachusetts)
and an O'Rourke/Haggerty/Brown line (possibly family of Ernest and Margaret O'Rourke).

Data were collected from death certificates, MO death records, St. Louis death records, cemetery records, census records, family records, SSDI records, obituaries, city directories, and more. If you are looking for information on O'Rourkes who lived in MO, I would be happy to share what I have so far. I am trying to connect my line (Jeremiah O'Rourke and Mary Fay) to other O'Rourke families living in St. Louis in the 1800s.

Please feel free to e-mail me at squ3348@yahoo.com.

Ann

Re: O'Rourkes in Missouri

Posted: 22 Nov 2007 8:22PM GMT
I am following a Joseph O'Rourke living in St Louis for the 1930 Census. He is a relative through a large family of O'Rourke's situated in New Orleans. Joseph a Marine age 37 born 1893 is married to Adel and son Joseph. I can trace Joseph back to the brother of my great grand father. James O'Rourke born Ireland 1818 and dies approx 1900 at 82. Joseph's Birth 10/21/1892 Death7/15/1973. Joseph is a son of James of Ireland.
Other information indicate that James from Ireland reached St Louis before moving to New Orleans.
Please respond. We may be able to help each other in O'Rourke research. I have a large time record of the name from Canada to San Francisco, Via boston and New Orleans.

Posted: 23 Nov 2007 3:40AM GMT
Hi!
Thanks for contacting me. Here is what I know about my husband's family: James O'Rourke married Mary O'Brien in Ireland (county and date unknown). Son Jeremiah James was born Feb. 1827 in Ireland. He emigrated in 1849, entering the US through New Orleans. How long he stayed in New Orleans is unknown. He married Mary Fay around 1850-51, place unknown. They were living in St. Louis at the time of the birth of their son, Jeremiah Joseph 13 Jan. 1866. We don't have records of any other children but it seems unlikely that they were married such a long time without having other children. Mary Fay died in of pneumonia in 1886 and is buried in Calvary Cemetery. Jeremiah James was living with the Little Sisters of the Poor at the time of the 1900 census and died 6 Sept. 1908. He is buried in Calvary Cemetery in a pauper's grave.

Their son, Jeremiah Joseph, married Mary Ely Tully of New Orleans (daughter of John Tully and Ann Riley, both of Ireland)in Hutchinson, Kansas, in 1889. They lived in St. Louis and were the parents of Eugene Francis, born 6 Feb. 1891; Edward Anthony, born 17 Oct. 1892; Joseph Paul, born 12 May 1894; William, born 30 Dec. 1895; infant daughter, died at birth, Sept. 1897; Harold Joseph, born 23 Mar. 1901; Francis, born 26 Dec. 1903.

According to family records, the Joseph listed here was married to a woman named Lindell. Although the birth dates and wife's name don't match your information, there are some interesting similarities. I noted the same 1930 census record as a possibility for our Joseph O'Rourke. I don't have a lot of information on him although I know that he died 18 June 1954 and is buried in Calvary Cemetery.

Does any of this sound familiar to you?

Ann

Posted: 23 Nov 2007 7:09PM GMT
Hello again!
I should have mentioned that it appears that Jeremiah James went by "James" as his grandson listed James O'Rourke as the name of Jeremiah Joseph's father on Jeremiah Joseph's death certificate.

It appears that either your line is missing a generation or I am not reading it correctly. Are you saying that James, born around 1818 was the father of Joseph, born in 1892?

I am definitely interested in more information about the O'Rourkes in New Orleans. I've noted that a James O'Rourke was listed in the 1850 census and another (or the same) James O'Rourke was in the hospital around that same time. It is also interesting that the Tully family was in St. Louis in 1871 when their son, Joseph Tully was born. He was baptized at the same church that the O'Rourkes attended (St. Francis O'Toole). Whether this is a connection or coincidence, I'm not sure.

I'll check with my husband's aunt to see what light she can shed on Joseph O'Rourke. I know that he is buried with Jeremiah Joseph and Mary Ely O'Rourke, his brothers Eugene, William and Mary Tully's brother, Emmet Tully.

Ann

Posted: 24 Nov 2007 2:15AM GMT
Thanks for the replies. First, the James born 1818 appears to be the father of the Joseph born 1892. James dies in 1900 and had a young family after his marriage to Johana Dehnn(22) 12/12/1872. In 1880 Census Johanna lives with James and several children from James' prior marriage to Bridget. In 1900, Johanna in the census claims she had 6 children 3 living. At that point James is 82, Johanna is 49 and Joseph is 8 and a daughter Katie is 13. 1910 Johanna is living with Joseph 17 and Katie (O'Rourke) Dermady is 23. From then on the Dermady family cares for (Hanna) Johanna. I have charted many of the New Orleans O'Rourkes and these relationships make sense.
I have tried calling several Dermady in NO and find that branch is different from the Dermedy and Dermody groups. The O'rourke connection seems too deep to understand.
My interest is that James was the Brother of Patrick (1814), Bernard(1811), Michael, Catherine and two other O'Rourke sisters born in Newport, Cty Mayo Ireland.

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 4:07PM GMT
Surnames: O'rourke; Armstrong
Might you have come across information on this family living on Cass st in the St. Louis 1900 census?:

Catherine O'Rourk (O'Rourke);
wid of Michael;
b. Sept 1850
Ireland,widowed,
washerwoman, 6 children,
5 living in 1900 census;
married 1864;

children:

Charles b. May 1871 Missouri; (foreman by 1904) single in 1900 (This maybe Charlie Joseph O'rourke who married Anna Armstrong b. 1886 in Mi)
Edward b. (baker in 1900)
William (lab by 1900)
Thomas (lab by 1900)

=====
from City directories family at:
1899 - r. 1426 N 15th
1900 - r. 1302 Cass Ave.
1901 - same address
1902 - same address

Posted: 2 Nov 2011 6:13PM GMT
Surnames: O'ROURKE, CODY
Lynnda, I do have some information this family. I believe that Catherine died 2 Nov 1904 and is buried in Calvary Cemetery, section 16, lot W. This Catherine lived at 1300 Cass Ave (seems to be a match with your records). She was 52. My sources were the St. Louis City Death Register V 47 p 44; Post Dispatch Obituary Index; St. Louis Catholic Burials CD #1. I also have this connected to the death record for Edward (J) O'Rourke who died April 4, 1926 at the age of 47. He was living at 4152 Walsh and was married to Frances O'Rourke. He was a baker for National Biscuit. He was born in St. Louis 1 Nov 1878 to Michael O'Rourke (b St. Louis) and Catherine Cody (b Ireland). This is from file #14079 MO State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics Certificate of Death. For some reason, this was posted on the Secretary of State's website at some point in the past but I can't find it there today. If you would like a copy, I can scan it and e-mail it to you. Edward is buried in Sts. Peter & Paul Cemetery. There is a Frances Wiethop buried in the same plot, buried 11 Sept 1968 at age 84. I have listed as a possible son of Michael and Catherine Cody O'Rourke Thomas who was buried 4 Dec 1963 at age 77, buried St. Peters UCC (St. Louis Burials, Volume 2). Finally, I have a record for a William O'Rourke who died 2 Apr 1912 at the age of 31. He was born 26 Jan 1881 in St. Louis to Michel (sic) O'Rourke (b Ireland) and Catherine Cody (b Ireland). He was single and worked as a foreman at Laclede Gas/Light Co. He was buried in Calvary Cemetery in St. Louis. The informant was Charles O'Rourke, 1312 Howard St. Again, I have a copy of this death cert and can't seem to find it today on the Internet. Let me know if you would like a copy. I also have an obituary for him that states that he was the brother of Charles, Edward, Thomas and Mrs. Thomas O'Brien. I would be happy to share this, too. It doesn't have much more information in it.

I think that's it. You can e-mail me directly at squ3348@yahoo.com if you want copies of any of these documents.

Ann

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: O'Rourke, Harrihill, Armstrong, Zack, Cody
Ann, I am sorry I did not see your query until now. I am trying to help one of my students trace his O'rourkes from St. Louis, Mi. We don't have a lot of info. to go on.
His grandfather was:
Charles (Charlie/Charley) Joseph O'rourke
b.15 May 1872, St Louis, MI m. 1903(?) d. 7 Dec 1929, Calvary Cem
m Annie Armstrong b. 13 Oct 1879, St Louis, MI d,. 6 June 1954 St Louis, Calvary Cem
Children - 1.Agnes O'rourke 28 June 1903-20 April 1976; m Frank Zack
2.Hellen O'Rourke 1906-9 Feb 2002 Calvary Cem
3. John Joseph O'rourke 1908 -
4. Catherine O'Rourke 1910-13 Oct 2003 Calvary
Joseph O'Rourke d. Washington State?
5. Charles "Babe" O'rourke d. 18 Nov 1985
I too have searched the internet and try to patch info together. Charles and family lived at 3621 Manchester in 1903; 3690 Clark Ave. between 1910-1920. Charley worked for the U.S. Gov, Norfolk, Va as a foreman (info on Registration card) On 1910 census states Charley and Annie had lost one child.
Death Cert states that Anna O'Rourke was a dau of John Armstrong and Mamie Harrihill; Anna O'Rourke was living at 2740 Geyer Ave. with her dau. Agnes (Frank) Zach who was a widow (info from Death cert)
From your info and the census records I am wondering if Michael O'Rourke and Catherine Cody might be his parents. Have you sent for any obituaries or marriage records? I would love to know what you think the next move should be? Thanks for your help.
Lynnda in Nebraska

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 10:35PM GMT
Surnames: O'Rourke, Cody
Hi, Lynnda!
I've found a few more pieces of information. On the Find A Grave website (www.findagrave.com), I found photos of some of the headstones. The headstone for Charles Joseph shows a birth date of 15 Apr 1873 and death date of 3 Dec 1929 (memorial #47569566). There is also a photo of the headstone for Charles Jr. showing birth date of 8 Aug 1914 and death date of 15 Nov 1985 (memorial #47569565).
My notes show a marriage record for Charles J. O'Rourke of 4 June 1902 at St. Malachy in St. Louis. I don't seem to have a copy of the record but I believe that I took notes on the O'Rourke records that I came across on our last trip to St. Louis. I think that the marriage record is your best bet for linking Charles to his parents because the Catholic records at that time typically stated the names of the parents of the bride and groom, giving maiden names for the mothers. Probably the best way to look at this document is to order film #1763772 from your nearest Family History Center. Marriages are the first item on this film. Unfortunately, the index for this file is on film 1763770, item #6, so if you want to see the index, you will have to order both films. If that won't work for you, you can request documents from the Archdiocese of St. Louis. I haven't done this myself, so I can't tell you how quickly you would receive the records. It appears that the charge is $10 per document.

I did find a baptismal record in St. Lawrence O'Toole parish records dated 28 May 1871 for a Charles O'Rourke born to Michael O'Rourke & Catherine Cody. He was born 22 May 1871. I also have a baptismal record from St. Patrick's Church on 18 May 1873 for Mary O'Rorke, daughter of Michael O'Rourke and Kate Cody. She was born 16 May 1873. I think these two records eliminate Michael O'Rourke and Catherine Cody from being the parents of your Charles. the only possibility would be if that Charles died and another son born in 1872 was named Charles. I've had that happen in my family lines, but I doubt that that happened here since the 1900 census records indicate that the Charles who is the son of Catherine Cody O'Rourke was 29 years old. Of course, how accurate are census records??

This morning, I requested copies of the obits for Charles Joseph O'Rourke and Catherine Cody O'Rourke. I'll let you know what I find out.

Ann

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 1:12AM GMT
Surnames: O'rourke, Cody, Armstrong
Thanks for the info That helps a lot. I will send for the film and probably keep them here. Looks like Charles Joseph O'Rourke was born 8 Aug 1873 and we know that he died 3 Dec 1929. The Charles Jr is a son of Anna Armstrong and Charles Joseph O'Rourke.
I was hoping that Michael and Catherine (Cody) O'Rourke were the parents of the Charles Joseph O'rourke that I am researching but I think you are right. It looks like the Charles of Michael and Catherine (Cody) O'rourke was born earlier.
Do you subscribe to Genealogybank.com?

Thanks again, Lynnda

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions