Search for content in message boards

Finding Slovene Family from Upper Peninsula

Finding Slovene Family from Upper Peninsula

George J. Plautz Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 1999 5:18PM GMT
I am working on a family history of my family who immigrated to Calumet,Michigan,in the late 1800's. They originated from the village of Doblice, near Crnomelj. I am interested in learning about the colloquial families involved in my tree. Any information on the Klobuchar, Elinich, Illenich, Linich, Sterk, Gerbec, Saitz, Zunich, Svetich surnames or variations would be appreciated. I am researching the following families from Slovenia. Their surnames are: Gerbec,Vertacic, Swetic,Plautz-Plavec-Plavz,Plauc, Plavc, Plavetz, Popovic, Predovic, Strucel, Bratinovich, Sajatovic, Spehar, Vertin, Sterk, Jerman, and Brunskole. Locations are Metlika, Maverlen, Krasnji Vrh, Doblice, Loka, and Gric. Would be interested in sharing information I have obtained already.
Posted: 20 Jul 1999 6:23PM GMT
Edited: 10 Aug 2001 9:00AM GMT
Last week I discovered that my great grandfather had a sister who married Marcus Sterk (her name is Anna). They are listed in the 1916-17 Calumet Directory for Houghton County, Michigan. The other Sterks in the directory are: Agnes, Anton, clara, Florence, George (Hannah), George (Mary), George jr., Ivan, John, John (Anna), Joseph, Katie, Peter (Mary), and Peter Z. (Annie).

Is there any connection to your family?

Sterk

George Plautz (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jul 1999 5:11PM GMT
My Sterk relation is in Slovenia, was the first wife of John Plautz, Maria Sterk. I am trying to find out what the relationship of John Sterk, Calumet, is to my family as he stayed with John Mary Plautz in Calumet. John is also mentioned in the book by Ivan Molek entitled Over Hill and Dale, an Autobiography, which has a chapter and some on Calumet, mentioning John Plautz, and John Sterk. John is the son of Joseph Plautz, whose father is the John married to Maria Sterk.

Slovenian Genealogy Forum

Jeremy Jesenovec (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 1999 1:55PM GMT
Check out the hundreds of Slovenian surnames listed by Slovenians looking for Slovenians in my Slovenian Genealogy website.
http://members.aol.com/jesenovec

geneology

Thomas B. Vertin (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 1999 6:17PM GMT
my last name is vertin and its history was traced to a burned down church in france. if i can help e mail me.

Vertins

George J. Plautz Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 1999 8:35PM GMT
I would be very interested in getting in contact with Tom Vertin re Vertin's in Slovenia. Email me g1plautz@aol.com

Calumet, MI Slovenian Croatian families

Mary (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2000 1:42PM GMT
Maybe this won't help b/c there were too many of these families in the Calumet area, I don't know, but I know of a woman of Croatian descent (family name MIHELCIC or similar spelling) in the Calumet area looking for relatives. I know the name's not on your list, but I can look through my records for her name if you'd like or think it would help you find any of the families (or their histories) that you're looking for. Good luck!

Slovenians in the UP

Tim Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2000 9:48AM GMT
George, My grandmother was Anna Ellenich (Elenic) from Crnomelji (Butoroj). She came over in 1904 with her son John. She also had a brother here by the name of John. He died in Calif in the mid-60s. My grandfather was Matthew Zvab (Schwab). He came over in the 1880s. They lived in Manistique, MI. His sister Neza married twice, a Rozman and a Marinic. There is a niece/nephew of the family living in Ohio.
John Schwab Jr. lived in LA but died in Lima, Peru. His family is still in the LA area. Other names from the Manistique area that I am familiar with, Kotchen, Stimac, Branch. Hope there is a connection.

Vrh ancestry

Posted: 3 Jun 2000 1:21PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 11:53PM GMT
I am a decendent of a Anton Vrh, born June 27,1872 but he was born in Yugoslavia. And came over to US around 1897. He married Agnes Kravcar from Austria. Any help we can be to each other would be greatly appreciated as I am looking for my family roots as well.

Vrh Family

Tony (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2000 12:26PM GMT
My great -great grandfather was born in what is now Slovenia and his name was Joze born Sept.8,1839 His son ,Joze was born March 4,1870 and they were both born in Dolniji Zemon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions