Search for content in message boards

Found the Will of John Cawood from Sullivan County Tennessee

Found the Will of John Cawood from Sullivan County Tennessee

Posted: 27 Feb 2011 6:58PM GMT
Classification: Will
Edited: 18 Sep 2011 10:36AM GMT
Surnames: Cawood,Blevins,Dulany,Pemberton,Smallwood,Vanmeter Haynes,Davis,Vanmeter,Smith
The Sullivan County courthouse burned in 1863 and nearly all its archives were destroyed. Few Wills before this time survived and we are very fortunate that this valuable document pertaining to the family of John Cawood from Sullivan County, Tennessee, was preserved. I have transcribed these records in the hopes that it will aid those researching this family, and correct speculative research theorized before this will was found. I have included excerpts from The Cawood Family by Dr. Arthur Leslie Keith and Lt. Col. James Cawood Presgraves (Corroborator). Our Cawood families owe them a great debt of gratitude for their pioneer efforts in recording and documenting our Cawood Family heritage. If either of these fine men were alive today they would be the first to correct, reconstruct, and add this information to the genealogical study of John Cawood, son of John Cawood and Elizabeth Smallwood.

Note from researcher Kimberly Cawood Bassingthwaite:
Included with the Will of John Cawood are about 20 other pages, pertaining to the John Cawood slave dispute. They are extremely hard to read with large black smudge marks across most of them. I am trying to decipher what I can, and will post at a later time. I do not mind sharing research; I only ask that original sources be retained in order not to loose valuable future contact resources that may offer additional insight pertaining to this research.

Washington County Court Records, Superior Court
Record Group: 18
Document Number
Box: 4
Folder: 12

People Listing
Name Role in Petition Enslavement Status Color Gender Age Birth Death Owned slaves? Occupation
KEYWOOD, Benjamin Smallwood ([Cawood]) petitioner white male
KEYWOOD, James ([Cawood]) petitioner white male
KEYWOOD, Jeremiah ([Cawood]) petitioner white male
KEYWOOD, Joshua Brown ([Cawood]) petitioner white male
KEYWOOD, Stephen Berry ([Cawood]) petitioner white male
MAJORS, Thomas petitioner white male

List of Defendants in Petition 21480601

People Listing
Name Role in Petition Enslavement Status Color Gender Age Birth Death Owned slaves? Occupation
BLEVINS, William defendant white male
BROWNLOW, Isaac ([Issack]) defendant white male
DULANY, William ([Dulaney]) defendant white male Yes.
KEYWOOD, Agatha ([Cawood]) defendant white female

List of Slaves in Petition 21480601

People Listing
Aron slave black male
Jinny slave black female
Mary slave black female
Poll slave black female
Winny slave black female

PAR Number 21480601
State: Tennessee Year: 1806

Abstract: The minor heirs of John Keywood ask the court to set aside the sale of five estate slaves, who were fraudulently sold for $1000 by their mother, Agatha. The petitioners declare that their father died in 1803 and that his will directed that all the residue of his estate should be the property of his wife during her lifetime and that "after the death of the said Agatha ... the whole of his property real & personal should be equally divided amongst your Orators his children." The Keywood children charge that their mother and others have colluded "to cheat and defraud your orators" out of their remainder interest in said slaves by procuring a pretended bill of sale, executed by the said Agatha to one William Blevins. They also charge that the defendants knew "no consideration was paid for said negroes, and that by the will of said John Keywood your Orators had a reversion in the same." Believing that "there is great probability" that the defendants "will run the said negroes beyond the reach of your Orators & this honourable court," they pray that said bill of sale "may be decreed to be given up & cancelled;" that the defendants be kept from removing said slaves from the county; and that the slaves be put in the sheriff's custody and hired out.

Will and Testament of John Cawood
Sullivan County, Tennessee
January 28, 1803
Researched and Transcribed from original certified copy dated 1806
By: Kimberly Cawood Bassingthwaite © Copyright February 2011

In the name of God Amen I, John Cawood of Sullivan County and state of Tennessee do make and publish this, my last will and Testament in manor following viz.

I order and direct that all debts that shall be justly due and owing by me at the time of my decease be paid and discharged out of my personal property by my executors hereafter named or one of them.

I give and bequeath unto my wife Agatha my dwelling house, grist mill and saw mill together with seven hundreds acres of land, parts of my plantation to be laid off in any manor my said wife shall direct so as to contain the quantity of seven hundreds in one survey.

The said tract to be laid off including the Mills, dwelling house, and orchards and all buildings and improvements now made or hereafter to be made on the seven hundred acres to be ____to my said wife to the use and behoof of my said wife and my children by her for and during her natural life and after her/decease I order and direct that the whole of the premises hereby bequeathed to her as aforesaid shall be appraised and valued by men to be indefinitely chosen by such of my children by this said Agatha as shall be than living and lawful age and if not by then guardians or guardian or by executors hereafter named which said men so to be appointed shall value the said land and premises and divide the whole equally according to the best of their judgments between such of my children by the said Agatha as shall be then living, share and share alike according to quantity and quality and said children shall abide by such divisions as shall be than made and any child or children who may refuse to abide by such divisions is or are to forfeit their share to the use of the other children and to be divided among them to share and share alike.

I give and bequeath unto my son John Cawood two hundred acres of land parts of my plantation including the bottom land on the south side of Hiawassee river and the island in said river, and so much upland bounded in front by said river by Major Pembertons line on one side and by a straight line to be run beginning on the north Bank of said river and extending to the back line of my plantation thence along said back line to the line of Major Pembertons land so as that with the said bottom land and Island aforesaid the whole shall contain two hundred acres of land and no more the same to be to the use and behoof of the said John Cawood his heirs and afsigns forever.

But in case the said John Cawood shall make any attempt hereafter either by law or otherwise to brake or set aside this my last will and testament than and in such case I order and direct that out of my personal estate the said John Cawood shall receive the sum of three hundred and thirty three dollars and one third of one dollar which shall be in full a bar of any demands which the said John might hereafter have against my estate real or personal or any part thereof and the lands herby devised to the said John Cawood is to go to my said wife and my children by her and to be applied as the said seven hundreds acres herein before mentioned.

I give and bequeath unto my grandson Thomas the son of my daughter Charity, one hundred and sixty dollars and sixty six cents and no more.

I give and bequeath to my daughter Ann Pemberton wife of William Pemberton one hundred and sixty six dollars and sixty six cents and no more to be paid out of my personal estate as also the above.

I give and bequeath unto my grandson Thomas Cawood son of Thomas Cawood deceased one hundred and sixty six dollars and sixty cents to be paid out of my personal estate as aforesaid and no more.

I give and bequeath unto my grandson Thomas Smallwood son of my daughter Mary Smallwood deceased one dollar and no more.

I give and bequeath one hundred acres of lands to my daughter Elizabeth, wife of Stephen Majors the land beginning at my boundary tree and laid off along Catrons line and up the river so far as by running a straight line as will make just one hundred acres and no more to be laid off by my Executors to be hereafter named and the bounds to be made by them nowise hereafter to be allowed, the said one hundreds acres to be to the use of my said daughter Elizabeth and her heirs forever.

I give and bequeath to my grandson Tobias Smith son of my daughter Rebecca deceased one hundred and sixty six dollars and sixty six cents. I order that the several sums of money herein bequeathed be paid within one year after my decease by my executors out of my personal estate.

I order and direct that after the payment of all debts funeral expenses and the several Legacies herein before mentioned – all the residue and remainder of my estate real and personal shall be the property of my said wife to the use of herself and my children by her in the same manner as the other part devised to her. And I do hereby appoint my said wife and my friend William Dulany Esq. My Executors but in case the said William shall decline acting than my said wife shall be at liberty with the approbation of the court to choose any person she may think fit to join her in the execution ship which person is herby as fully authorized to act as if his name was herein written.

In attempt where of I have hereunto set my mark affixed my seal this twenty eighth day of January one thousand eight hundred and three.

Signed Sealed and Delivered
By the Testator as his last will
and testament in our presents
John (his mark) Cawood (Seal)
We have subscribed our names
Testament in our presents:
William Delaney
James Ofsill (transcriber cannot read)
William Owen?
Isaac Brownlow

Sullivan County
I certify the foregoing to be a true copy from the original filed and recorded in office this 25th day March 1806.

E. Excepted Matthew? Rhea Clk. Sullivan Cty.

Note from transcriber: The spelling Popepion means Possession often used in old wills. My friend Jack Hockett explained this to me:

...it is actually written possession, but the "double S" is written like an old fashioned "p", causing a large number of transcribers to think that it is actually a "p"...

A genealogical study: by Kimberly Cawood Bassingthwaite:

1. JOHN4 CAWOOD (JOHN3, STEPHEN2, STEPHEN1) was born Abt. 1720, and died 1803. He married (1) ELIZABETH UNKNOWN. He married (2) AGATHA UNKNOWN.

Children of JOHN CAWOOD and ELIZABETH UNKNOWN are:
i. JOHN5 CAWOOD, b. Abt. 1745; d. October 1828; m. RACHEL UNKNOWN.
ii. CHARITY CAWOOD, m. UNKNOWN.
iii. ANN CAWOOD, m. WILLIAM PEMBERTON.
iv. THOMAS CAWOOD, m. UNKNOWN.
v. MARY CAWOOD, m. SMALLWOOD.
vi. ELIZABETH CAWOOD, m. STEPHEN MAJORS.
vii. REBECCA CAWOOD, m. GEORGE SMITH.

Children of JOHN CAWOOD and AGATHA UNKNOWN are:
viii. JOSHUA BROWN5 CAWOOD, b. Abt. 1790; m. ELEANOR HAYNES.
ix. BENJAMIN SMALLWOOD CAWOOD, b. Abt. 1791; m. SARAH TALBERT.
x. STEPHEN BERRY CAWOOD, b. Abt. 1793; d. 1850; m. REBECCA BELON OR BLEVINS.
xi. JEREMIAH B. CAWOOD, b. 1795; d. 1880; m. SARAH DAVIS.
xii. JAMES B. CAWOOD, b. Abt. 1798; m. (1) SARAH ACRE; m. (2) ELIZABETH UNKNOWN.

From the Cawood Family book by: Dr. Arthur Leslie Keith and Lt. Col. James Cawood Presgraves (Corroborator) Page numbers from the book.
Note: numbers refer to actual pages of the book, for reference.

aaab JOHN CAWOOD, son of John and Elizabeth (Smallwood) Cawood, was born about 1720. On Oct. 13, 1745 in Charles County he bought "Nutwell" of his father, John Ca-wood, Sr. This plantation he sold on Feb. 17, 1751 to Humphrey Berry. Wife Elizabeth Cawood joined in the deed.

In March, 1749 John Cawood, Jr. was sued by Sam Roundell and William Smallwood for a debt of 2,132 pounds of tobacco. Cawood won the suit.

In 1754 we find John Cawood in Frederick County, Virginia, to which place at about the same time his father and brothers Stephen and Moses went. On Nov. 2, 1754, John
Keywood (sic) received patent for 383 acres in Frederick Co. VA, joining William
Williams, Peter Beller and Abraham Vanmeter, on the drains of Opeckon. This land lies about two miles south of Martinsburg, WV in present Berkeley County, which was taken
from Frederick in 1772.

The muster roll of Capt. Richard Morgan's company serving in the French and Indian War from Frederick Co., VA shows the names of John Cawood and Moses Cawood, privates, of date Nov. 27, 1755. The name, John Keywood appears on a poll list of this county in 1758. On Aug. 7, 1764, John Keywood took the oath of constable.

John seems to have inherited the Cawood proclivities for litigation. On Apr. 6, 1756 William Burns sued John Kaywood, Jr. On Sept. 7, 1762 the court ordered Robert Buckles to pay John Kaywood 150 pounds of tobacco for serving as a witness in his case against John Waugh. In 1765 John Ulrick Spear sued John Keywood for 2.19.2 and won the suit. John Keywood apparently awaited his time and on Oct. 6, 1772 sued Spear and won the suit. On March 4, 1772 John Keywood was security for Moses Keywood in suit brought against the latter by Jeron Williams. In Berkeley Co., VA on March 17, 1774
Jacob Hite sued Benjamin Chambers, William Chambers and John Keywood. This suit, so far as it concerned John Keywood was continued from court to court until in August, 1777 it abated through death of the plaintiff. In April, 1778 it was renewed by Thomas Hite, administrator of Jacob Hite, and

continued until 1779 when it again abated through death of the plaintiff and does not appear again. In August, 1777 John Keywood sued John Shively. The latter had sued John's brother Moses in 1772. The plaintiff, through his attorney, moved for a dedimus issue for the examination of Rachal Keywood. This case was finally dismissed and John Keywood was required to pay the defendant's costs. These two actions; especially the last, may pertain to a third John (aaaba), son of John Cawood (aaab). This third John had prior to this time married Rachel ___ , probably identical with the Rachall Keywood, above. By deed of lease and release on Aug. 18 and 19, 1777, John Keywood of Berkeley Co. sold to Tunis Quirk of the same county 383 acres patented by John on Nov. 2, 1754, for 900 pounds sterling. Elizabeth Keywood, wife of John, signed with him.

About this time John Cawood (aaab) must have removed to Washington Co., VA or Sullivan Co., TN. His brothers Moses Cawood and Stephen Cawood had a few years before settled in Washington Co., V A. The two counties join, and while the boundaries were still unsettled, references to inhabitants of present Sullivan Co., TN, appear in Virginia records. The last reference to John Cawood (aaab) found in' Berkeley Co. is
dated June 17,1783: John Kaywood, Sr., (but signed Keywood) of Sullivan Co., NC (but now Tennessee, of course) appointed John Vanmeter, Sr., of Berkeley County as his attorney to collect debts due hirn., This paper was witnessed by Ephraim Gaiter and Isaac Evans, and acknowledged before the Sullivan County court by John Keywood, Jr.

John Cawood (aaab) may never have lived within the present limits of Washington Co., VA though his name appears in the records of that county. He settled in present Sullivan
Co., TN, not far from the boundary line of the two counties and two states. The land lies on the northwest side of the Holston River, about six miles southeast of Bristol, VA-TN.
Cawood Creek, Cawood Fork and Cawood Island in later years preserved the surname of the first settler. Draper's Notes (State Historical Library, Madison, WI) refer to the Keywood settlement on the Holston River in present Sullivan Co., TN, as existing in 1773, about six miles from the Shelby settlement. Armstrong's "Notable Southern Families", Vol. IV, p.130, in treating of the Sevier family reads thus: "The caravan (of
Seviers moving south from Rockingham Co., VA) arrived in the Keewood settlement in the mountains on Christmas day, 1773, after a tiresome 300 miles -- Francis Turner's Life of John Sevier says that upon arrival each family went to their own cabin. The settlement was 6 miles from Shelby. Later the Seviers abandoned the Keewood settlement and moved to

Washington Co., TN". The close association of the Cawoods and Seviers will be noted later.

According to Ramsey, in his "Annals of Tennessee", page 446: "In April, 1780, Keywood and Milliken, two hunters, coming to the fort, stopped on Richland Creek, 5 or 6 miles
from the Bluff. . .. The Indians fired on them and killed Mil- liken. Keywood escaped and brought the news to the fort." The text of Ramsey gives no first name, but his index gives
his name as John Keywood. Probably it was the younger John (aaaba) who had this experience.

On May 2, 1775, William Christian and wife Anne of Fincastle County sold to John Keewood of Barkley (sic) County for 450 pounds, 840 acres in Fincastle County on Holston River, part of "Holley's Bottom", granted to John Shelton, Aug. 16, 1736 - beginning at a red oak on the northwest side of the river - - crosses top of Stoney hill - then crosses the river, thence down the several courses of the river to the beginning.
This deed is recorded both in the Fincastle and Sullivan counties records. In the latter county it is the first deed on record and may indicate that John Cawood (aaab) was the first permanent settler of this county. This seems to be the only land which John Cawood (aaab) owned in this region. The John Cawood who owned land in present Washington Co., VA, was probably John (aaacc), a son of Stephen (aaqc). John Cawood (aaab) was described as of Berkeley Co. when he bought the land in Fincastle Co. in 1775, but he may have made some sort of a temporary settlement in Washington Co. before he took
up his permanent abode in Sullivan. If so, this was probably not until after the deed of Aug. 18 and 19, 1777, cited above, in which he is still described as of Berkeley Co.

A petition in the archives at Richmond, dated Nov. 6, 1777, from certain inhabitants of Washington Co. (then newly organized) protesting against the inconveniences caused by the division of the county, was signed by John Cawood, Sr., John Cawood, Jr., and Thomas Cawood. John Cawood (aaab) was certainly an inhabitant of this region at that time: John Cawood, Jr. of this petition was certainly his son, and Thomas was probably another son.

On May 18, 1779 in Washington Co., John Keewood was a grand juror. Which? On Aug. 17, 1779 in Washington Co. records, the Clerk of the Court was ordered to give a certificate to John Keewood of his acknowledged power of attorney to his son John Keewood to transact his business in Barkley (sic) County. This record furnishes proof that John, Sr. had a son John, then certainly of age, and furthermore it appears that while living in present Sullivan Co., TN, he considered himself a resident of Washington Co., VA.

In Washington Co. on March 31, 1783 John Keewood was appointed constable in Capt. Neel's company, and about the same time a road supervisor. Which John this was we can
not tell. .

On Feb. 20, 1795 in Sullivan Co., John Cawood, Sen'r. witnessed the deed of Jacob Bealer to Wrollerick Bealer. The court of Sullivan Co. in 1795 appointed John Keywood, Sr., as one of a jury to view road from the court house to Keywood's Mill. In 1795, John Keywood, Jr., was appointed one of a jury to view road from court house to Keywood’s Creek. This seems like a duplication, if Keywood's Mill were on Keywood's Creek, but there may have been a difference not; apparent to us. If this John Keywood, Sr., is John (aaab), he must have been quite old for such service, but there is evidence that he was a vigorous man for his years. However, the case is getting complicated by the arrival of another John Cawood, the fourth in direct succession, who has now come of age, and perhaps the Sr. no longer refers to John (aaab), but to his son of the same name.

John Cawood (aaab) died in Sullivan Co. probably shortly before Aug. 2,1803, on which date Agatha (Cawood and William Dulaney, acting executors of the will of John Cawood dec'd, of Sullivan County, sold a negro man to Stephen Majors. On Feb. 21, 1806, Agatha Cawood, widow and executrix of John Cawood, dec'd, sold to William Blevins (all of Sullivan Co.) for $2,000 all her right and claim to 740 acres willed to her by her late husband, John Cawood. On Jan. 22, 1825, in Sullivan Co., .Joshua B. Cawood furnished bond to sell to John McCarry all his claim which he as testamentary heir of John Cawood, dec'd, has in the plantation on which the said John Cawood did formerly reside and on which the widow now resides - - 963 acres - - one-fifth part of which Joshua claims under the last will of his father, the said John, to be his immediately upon the decease of his mother, Agatha Cawood. Signed by Joshua B. Cawood in the
presence of Samuel Jones and John W. Blevins. From these records and others (which will be given later) it is apparent that the John Cawood who left Widow Agatha is identical with the John Cawood who bought 940 acres .of William Christian on May 2, 1775, that is, with John (aaab). His will was lost in the burning of the court house during the Civil War, but it seems that he had left his property to hiss second wife, Agatha, to be divided equally among their children after her death. Having lost wife Elizabeth, this John in this old age had married Agatha - - and reared a second family in late life. This
fact is further substantiated by a paper still in existence, dated

September, 1804, which is a subscription contract wherein one John Russell agrees to teach the children of Holston Valley at Cawood's plantation at a rate of 50 cents per month for 12 months. The article is signed by subscribers with the number
of pupils to be sent by each:
Joshua Cawood 5 John Cawood 3
Sally Cawood 4 John Cawood 3
(also by James George, John Becher, James Blevins, Armistead Blevins, William Blevins, John Blevins, Thomas Majors, Walter Blevins, and others.) As Agatha Cawood was the widow of John Cawood (aaab), we have here a remarkable situation. The children of three successive John Cawoods, namely John Cawood (aaab), his son John born about 1745, and the latter's son John, born about 1769, were attending the same school at the same time. The children of the third John were schoolmates of their uncles and Great-uncles.

Our next task is to reconstruct the family of John Cawood (aaab). Besides his son John, the Thomas Cawood who signed the petition in Washington Co., VA with John Cawood, Sr. and Jr. may be considered a son of John (aaab) by his first wife. (This Thomas
Cawood, son of Stephen (aaac), was too young to have signed a petition in 1777.) In Berkeley Co. on Oct. 15, 1779, Thomas Cawood (aaabb) and John Vanmeter, Sr. signed
a petition in regard to the location of a ferry. So Thomas must have retuned to Berkeley Co. after 1777; at least for a time. A Thomas Cawood appearing in the :1830 census of Sullivan Co., aged between 40 and 50, therefore born between 1780 and 1790, must have been a grandson of John (aaab) and may have been a son of this Thomas (aaabb).

In Berkeley Co., September, 1773, James Muir sued William Keywood; suit later dismissed. This William could not have been a son of Stephen (aaac) or of Moses (aaad), the only brothers of John Cawood (aaab) who, so far as we know, ever lived in Berkeley Co. This William was probably a son of John (aaab) by his wife Elizabeth. When John Cawood about 1777 moved to Sullivan Co., he need not have been accompanied by all his children. In Berkeley Co. there were later Cawoods not yet definitely assigned. For example, a certain __ Cawood about this time married a Rebecca and had children,
William Cawood, John Vanmeter Cawood (born March 16, 1805), and Matilda Cawood. The association of the name Vanmeter strongly indicates a descent from John Cawood
(aaab), who had other associations with the Vanmeters. But we get better evidence of John Cawood's children in Sullivan Co. The contract of Joshua B. Cawood of 1825 to John McCarry mentioned above, furnishes us the information that John had five children by his wife Agatha. / On March 10, 1825, Benjamin

S. Cawood, Stephen B. Cawood, and James B. Cawood, testamentary heirs of John Cawood, dec'd, relinquished to John McCarry the claim they might have in Joshua B. Cawood's one-fifth part of the tract of land on which his father formerly resided in case the said Joshua should die before his mother, Agatha Cawood. This is the last mention found of Agatha. She probably died soon after this. Another name is added from a deed executed May 20, 1834, by Jeremiah B. Cawood of Logan Co., KY, appointing one Benjamin D. Price of said county as his lawful attorney, saying, "Whereas my father
John Cawood who lived and died in Sullivan Co., Tenn. died possessed of considerable estate consisting of land, negroes, etc., my portion of which I have never received ... I appoint my attorney Benjamin (Price) to go to Sullivan Co., Tenn. and to apply there to my mother Agatha Cawood, executrix, and William Dulaney, executor of my said father, dec'd." These deeds give us the names of the five children of John and Agatha, namely, Joshua B. Cawood, Benjamin S. Cawood, Stephen B. Cawood, James B. Cawood, and Jeremiah B. Ca wood. We wonder if this 'S' in Benjamin's name stood for Smallwood, and if the 'B' in the names of the others stood for Berry as we know for sure it did in the case of Stephen Berry Cawood.

Benjamin S. Cawood is our next point of attack. He appears in the 1830 census of Sullivan Co. as a householder, aged between 40 and 50 (therefore born between 1780 and 1790) with one female between 30 and 40, and no children. On March 8, 1833, James B. Cawood was administrator of Benjamin B. Cawood, dec'd. He apparently died without issue, and his wife, if ever married, probably predeceased him, as we find no references to her in deeds pertaining to his estate.

We quote next from a deed of Jeremiah B. Cawood, April 27, 1833, of Morgan Co., IL, who sold to Stephen B. Cawood for $100 any interest in 225 acres that Benjamin S. Cawood, dec'd, possessed, that is to say, "the eleventh part of the said 225 acres which descended to me by the death of my said brother Benjamin S., etc." The latter's property was now to be divided among the surviving children of John Cawood (aaab) who now became Benjamin's next legal heirs. From this deed it is clear that Benjamin S. Cawood left eleven brothers and sisters, whole and half, who were living in 1833. The names of some of these we already know. The deeds to follow help us complete the record.

On October 20, 1833, Sarah Hunt of Washington Co., VA sold to Stephen B. Cawood of Sullivan Co., TN, her interest in the land and property of Benjamin S. Cawood, dec'd, which interest descended to her as heir of said Benjamin S. Cawood dec'd. Signed, Sarah Hunt, her mark. Teste: Tho. Cawood John McCarry. On Sept. 4, 1833, Joshua B. Cawood of McMinn Co., TN and Ann Cawood of Sullivan Co., TN, sold to Thomas Cawood of Sullivan County one undivided share and interest in the estate of Benjamin S. Cawood. This Thomas Cawood must be the one shown in the 1830 census as born between 1780 and 1790 and as having no family. He was therefore probably a grandson of John
Cawood (aaab) and only heir of Thomas for he seems to share his claim with no other. The Ann Cawood of this deed was not the daughter of John Cawood (aaab) but of the next John. Her appearance in this deed is difficult to explain but she may have been the representative as executrix of her father who had recently died. She had no rights prior to those of her father and brothers and sisters.

On March 2,1834, James B. Cawood, Russell Blevins and Nancy Blevins, his wife, and Thomas Cawood for himself and as assignee of Joshua B. Cawood and Ann Cawood sold to Stephen B, Cawood for $515.00 their claim in the real estate of Benjamin S. to which they were entitled as heirs. From this deed we learn that Thomas Cawood was an heir of Benjamin S. in his own right, and that Nancy Blevins, wife of Russell Blevins, was very probably a daughter of John Cawood(aaab) or, if not, she was his descendent. In two similar deeds, Stephen B. Cawood buys the undivided shares of Benjamin S. Cawood's estate from (1) Anna Hawkins of Grainger Co., TN Feb. 5, 1836, and (2) Elizabeth M. Majors and Stephen D. Majors of Sullivan Co., TN. Stephen D. Majors agrees to furnish a sufficient title when Elizabeth comes to legal age They are both called heirs of Benjamin S. Cawood. Evidently these are Majors-Cawood offspring and these are the legal representatives. Stephen D. Majors may have married the daughter of John
Cawood (aaab), and now being a widower, he is defending his rights of dower, along with his daughter Elizabeth's rights; or Stephen D. and Elizabeth may have beer brother and sister and children of the above Majors-Cawood marriage.

On the basis of the above data we may reconstruct the family of John Cawood(aaab) as follows: John was born about 1720; died about 1803; married (1) Elizabeth _______; had issue:
aaaba John Cawood, b. c1745; d. 1828.
aaabb Thomas Cawood.
aaabc William Cawood (?)
aaabd Sarah Cawood, mar Hunt.

aaabe Ann Cawood, mar. Hawkins
aaabf (daughter), mar Majors.
aaabg Nancy Cawood, mar. Russell Blevins.

Sometime after 1777 John Cawood (aaab) married (2) Agatha ...... and had issue:
aaabh Benjamin S. Cawood, (d. without issue c1833).
aaab Stephen B. Cawood, b. c1793.
aaabj James B. Cawood.
aaabk Joshua B. Cawood.
aaabl Jeremiah B. Cawood.

Agatha, second wife of John Cawood (aaab) may have been a Dulaney. One William Dulaney was her co-executor of the will of John Cawood (aaab). On April 27, 1834, Jeremiah B. Cawood sold to James B. Cawood his title in certain property which he seems to have inherited as one of the legal heirs of William Dulaney, dec'd.

aaaba JOHN CAWOOD, son of John and Elizabeth (_____ ) Cawood was born probably about 1745 and married Rachel _______. HE is probably identical with the John Keywood who served in the Revolution from Sullivan County, TN (then NC). He was on most intimate relations with the first Governor of Tennessee, John Sevier (also General and Congressman). As we shall later see, two daughters of this John Cawood married two men named Joseph Sevier: one a brother of Gov. John Sevier; and the other, a son of Gov. John Sevier. We have already noted that the Sevier caravan when migrating to Ten-
nessee is said to have found their first rest at the Cawood settlement on the Holston River. Gov. John Sevier moved later to the vicinity of Jonesboro in Washington Co., TN, while his brother, Valentine Sevier settled permanently near the Cawood plantations. We note next some entries from John Sevier's diary:

May 20, 1790: Lodged all night at Mr. John Keewoods.
Left this place at 10 o'clock. Rec’d of Mr. John Keewood
950 (or 9500 ?) Dollars Virginia paper money, called the
forty-for-one money, which I am to endeavor to exchange
far Hard money. (Here he was on his way to NY to
serve in the First U. S. Congress.)

Feb. 2, 1794: Son Jo wife and Sally Keewood came here.

Feb. 5, 1794: Self, wife, Jos. wife, Miss Sally Keewood,
Mary Ann and Ruth went to Jonesboro and came home at
night. (John Sevier's home was several miles west of
Jonesboro.)

May 15, 1800: Set out for John Keewoods and lodged there
that night.

May 16, 1800: Stayed at Mr. Keywoods.

April 3, 1802: Lodged at Jno. Keewoods.

May 18, 1802: Set out for Mr. Keewoods to meet the Com-
missioners. Left with Mr. Keewood 10 dollars for him to
give unto my bro. Jos. Sevier.

Oct. 9, 1802: Lodged at Mr. John Keewood's, Jun .

Sunday, Oct. 10: Still stayed at Mr. Keewood's

Mon. Oct. 11: ditto -- ditto. Tues., Oct. 12: ditto --
ditto -- Mrs. Esther Harris dined with us.

Wed., Oct. 13:
Went up to William King's in company with Mrs. Nancy
Keewood and returned in evening

Thurs., Oct. 14:
Went to William Blevins', tarried all night.

Fri., Oct. 15: Returned to Mr. Keewood's. Sat., Oct. 16: Myself,

Mrs. Keewood and Chatty (Charity Keewood) Sevier
dined with the widow Harris and returned to Mr. Kee-
wood's.

Mon., Oct. 18: Set out from Mr. Keewood’s
to meet the Commissioners. (Sevier was one of the
Commissioners surveying the VA-TN boundary line.)
Left with Mr. John Keewood ten dollars for him to give
unto my brother Joseph Sevier and for him to give the same
to Mr. David Deadrick.

Nov. 4: Tarried all night at Mr. John Keewood's.

Nov. 6: Returned to Mr. Keewood's.

John Cawood of Sullivan County, TN, deposed on Feb. 22, 1823, that he had known John Sevier for more than 40 years. John Cawood appears repeatedly in the Sullivan Co. records. At his death we find he possessed 200 acres of land. Apparently his father had before his death allowed his son 200 acres as his share of inheritance. We have seen that John Cawood (aaab) had purchased 940 acres in 1775, and that in 1806, his widow, Agatha, refers to the amount of land left by her husband as 740 acres (940-200=740).
John Cawood(aaaba) died shortly before Oct. 20, 1828, on which date Elizabeth Sevier of Overton Co., TN appoints William R. Sevier as her lawful attorney as respects sale of "my undivided part of estate left by John Cawood, dec'd" . On Nov. 4, 1829, Rachel Cawood, widow of John, sold to John Cawood in his own right and in right of Samuel Haskins and Rachel, his wife, formerly Rachel Cawood, and in right of Painton Charlton and Rebecca, his wife, formerly Rebecca Cawood, and in right of Wallace B. Cawood, Matilda Cawood, Elizabeth Catchenin (elsewhere appearing as Ketcheer), and Ann Cawood, in her own right, to John R. Dulaney in the right of Charity Sevier, Elizabeth Sevier, formerly Elizabeth Cawood, and in right of William R. Blevins and Polly, his wife, formerly Polly Cawood, all heirs at law of John Cawood, dec'd, having died intestate, to these heirs Rachel Cawood in consideration of $33.33 1/3 paid to her annually during her lifetime relinquished her dower rights to 200 acres lying on the Holston River on the north bank, etc. A division of the estate is recorded on Nov. 4, 1829, in which reference is made to the eight shares of which John Cawood in his own right and by purchase had acquired four, Ann Cawood possessed one share in her own right, and John R. Dulaney possessed three by purchase. By this division John Cawood received 109 acres, John R. Dulaney, 61 acres, and Ann Cawood, 30 acres, with exception that Rachel Cawood was to have the house and small garden as long
as she lives, but at her death they are to pass to Ann Cawood.

This record calls Matilda Cawood, Elizabeth Ketcheer, and Wallace B. Cawood the Heirs of Sally Cawood, dec'd. There are other deeds showing purchase by John Cawood and by John R. Dulaney of other shares of the estate. On Aug. 18, 1829, an execution was laid on Charity (Cawood) Sevier's un- divided interest in 200 acres on Holston River. On the basis of these records we learn that John Cawood (aaaba) and Rachel, his wife, had eight children who were living or had living representatives in 1829:

aaabaa John Cawood, b. e1765-70; d. c.1837.
aaabab Rachel Cawood, mar. Samuel Haskins; still living
in 1829.
aaabae Rebecca Cawood, mar. Painton Charlton, living
in 1833 in Washington Co., TN.
aaabad (son) mar. Sarah (Sally)…… , both deceased
before 1829. -
aaabae Charity Cawood, mar. Joseph Sevier, II (son of
Gov. John Sevier).
aaabaf Elizabeth Cawood, mar. Joseph Sevier, I (broth-
er of Gov. John Sevier).
aaabag Ann Cawood, appears in the 1830 census of Sul-
livan Co., TN.
aaabah Polly Cawood, mar. William R. Blevins, still liv-
ing in 1829.

The 1830 census of Sullivan County gives Ann Cawood as head of household. She is the female between 50 and 60. In the same household is another female between 80 and 90 who may safely be assigned as Rachel Cawood, widow of John Cawood (aaaba), and born about 1745.

aaabb THOMAS CAWOOD, son of John and Elizabeth ( ) Cawood appears rarely in connection with John Cawood. He could not have been identical with Thomas Cawood, son of Stephen Cawood (aaae), and there is no other place to assign him except here. There is scant mention of him in the records. We may use him; cautiously, as the father of another Thomas Cawood, one of the heirs of Benjamin S. Cawood of Sullivan Co., TN, as shown in deed of March 21, 1834 wherein Thomas Cawood for himself and as assignee of Joshua B. Cawood, and others, sell their claim to the estate of Benjamin S. Cawood, etc. The 1830 census of Sullivan County shows one Thomas Cawood, born between 1780 and 1790, with no family. He probably died single.

aaabi STEPHEN BERRY CAWOOD, son of John and Agatha (Dulaney?) Cawood, has been mentioned several times

already. From the various heirs of Benjamin S. Cawood he bought their respective shares and thus became the owner of his deceased brother's property. His name in these deeds is
regularly given as Stephen B. Cawood. However, we regard his middle name as Berry and believe he is the Berry Cawood of this community of whom traditions have come down. Berry Cawood is shown in the 1830 census of Sullivan Co., as age 30 to 40, and living with a female age 20 to 30, and a male child age 0 to 5 (presumably his wife,
Rebecka and first son, Jacob). The record of Berry Cawood in the 1840 census gives three males (names not given in this census), aged between 5 and 10. The 1850 census of Sullivan Co., shows: "Caywood, Stephen 57, Rebecka 51, Jacob 20, Benj. 16, Stephen 15, Mary 12, Elizabeth 11", His occupation is shown as a miller, and he and his wife
are shown as having been born in Tennessee.

They had issue: (Birth dates computed from 1850 census.)
aaabia Jacob Cawood, b. c1830.
aaabib Benjamin Cawood, b. c1834.
aaabic Stephen Cawood, b. c1835.
aaabid Mary Cawood, b. c1838.
aaabie Elizabeth Cawood, b. c1839.
No further record has been found of this family branch.

aaabj JAMES B. CAWOOD, son of John and Agatha (Dulaney?) Cawood was administrator and one of the heirs of Benjamin S. Cawood in 1833, Sullivan County. He joins in a deed, March 21, 1834, whereby he, Russell Blevins and wife Nancy, and Thomas Cawood sell to Stephen B. Cawood their interest in the estate of Benjamin S. Cawood. James B. Cawood appears in the 1830 census of Sullivan Co., TN: "Key wood, James B., four males under 5, one male 5 to 10, one male 30 to 40, one female 5 to 10, and one female 30 to 40". A deed in Sullivan County, dated Sept. 2, 1840, shows that
James B. Cawood and wife Sarah, one of the heirs of John Acre, Sr., dec'd, sold their undivided interest in John Acre's estate, etc. Nothing further has been learned of this family.

aaabk JOSHUA B. CAWOOD, son of John and Agatha (Dulaney?) Cawood, is described in deed of Sept. 4, 1833 as of McMinn Co., TN, and on Sept. 16, 1833 as of Sullivan Co., TN. He is shown in the 1830 census of McMinn Co., TN: "Cawood, Joshua B., two males under 5, two males 10 to 15, one male 40 to 50, one female under 5, one female 5 to 10, two females 10 to 15, one female 15 to 20, and one female 30 to 40". He is said to
have married twice. Dr. Keith was informed that he had at least these three sons by his second wife:

aaabha Jacob H. Cawood.
aaabkb John Cawood.
aaabkc James Cawood.

aaabl JEREMIAH B. CAWOOD, son of John and Agatha (Dulaney?) Cawood was living in 1824 in Logan Co., KY. On Apr. 27, 1833, he was a resident of Morgan Co., IL.

Re: Found the Will of John Cawood from Sullivan County Tennessee

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 3:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cawood
I am researching my husband's family and get lost with Thomas M. Cawood born in Meigs Co, TN in 1862 who seems to be the son of Thomas M. Cawood born in Monroe Co, TN in 1816. I can not make any solid connections from there. Any suggestions.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic