Search for content in message boards

Exercise and Sarah Conant

Exercise and Sarah Conant

Posted: 8 Jan 2002 2:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Jun 2002 4:07PM GMT
Dear Cousins: I am constantly finding references to the name of Exercise Conant's wife, Sarah, as Sarah ANDREWS, but I have contacted perhaps as many as 20 different people and asked for a source of this assertion. So far, my efforts have been in vain. Moreover, many have asserted that they were married at Beverly on April 28, 1663. This is very interesting, since the Beverly records don't contain any such record of this marriage. One cousin did manage to point me down a useful path which suggests that Sarah's surname MIGHT be Andrews, but there is no marriage date. Further, this same source provides the names of her father, grandfather and uncle, if the connection is correct. If, indeed, the connection IS correct, I have tracked down 23 of Sarah's ancestors. BUT I still need proof that she was an ANDREWS. Anyone out there have a sound citation to the source of these assertions? PLEASE, PLEASE e-mail me at Jraywalt@aol.com. Thank you.

Re: Exercise and Sarah Conant

Posted: 8 Jan 2002 10:06PM GMT
Edited: 28 Sep 2004 4:42PM GMT
First, a general note. In his listing of the children of Roger Conant in "The Great Migration Begins," probably the best contemporary work on early New England immigrants, Robert Charles Anderson says: "EXERCISE, bp. Salem 24 December 1637 [SChR 16]; m. by 14 February 1668/9 Sarah _____ (baptism at Beverly of first known child)." This indicates that Mr. Anderson is not satisfied that Sarah's maiden name was Anderson.

Turning now to Torrey's "New England Marriages Prior to 1700," we find "CONANT, Exercise (1637-1722) & Sarah [ANDREWS?] (?1645-1718), gr dau Robert, dau John, niece of Thomas; ca 1663; Beverly/Boston/Mansfield/Windham, CT" We all know what "?" means; a brief mention of some of the other data may be helpful. A surname in brackets is one not derived from a marriage record; and the places listed are a chronological list of residences from marriage through usually the death of the husband and do not necessarily indicate the place of marriage.

Since Torrey's is really only an index to his handwritten manuscript, which also includes abbreviated references to the sources of his information, I checked my microfilm copy (now also available on CD). Among the sources cited for Exercise and Sarah are the Conant Genealogy (which does not give Sarah's maiden name) and "Hovey 12." (There are several others which I do not have access to.) But I do have portions of Daniel Hovey's "The Hovey Book describing The English and American Descendants of Daniel Hovey of Ipswich, Massachusetts (Haverhill: Press of Lewis R. Hovey, 1912" On page 12, we find the likely "source of these assertions" (only partially quoted here):

"Daniel Hovey married Abigail, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth (Franklin?) Andrews of Ipswich , about 1641. Mr. Andrews died in 1643, having fiven to Mr. Hovey a legacy of ten pounds. In the settlement of the estate of Mrs. Hovey's brother Thomas Andrews, a prominent schoolmaster, Mr. Hovey certified to the county court as follows:--

September 27, '83'

"Thefe may inform this Honored Cort, & may it pleafe your Honors, to take notis touching the relations of this worthy gentilman Mr Thomas Andrews, my truly louing dear & wel. beloved Brother &c. I did more then forty years ago, match wth his Loving & welbeloved fifter Abigal Andrews, by home the lord bleft me with fix fons. & on dafter, five of which fons ar yet liuing fo that by these it may apear that we are fuerly related to this defefed gentlman, but in breif he hath fix nefews & two nefes, as, folows their is the fon and dafter of his brother as namly John. Andrews & fara Connant his fifter both which are Confiderably deters vnto his eftate as alfo Mrs Elifibeth Glouer wo is married to Mr John Glouer formerly liuing at Bofton . . ."

Joe Burgess
List Admin, RootsWeb Conant list

Posted: 8 Jan 2002 10:52PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jun 2002 4:07PM GMT
Joe, Thank you SO MUCH!!!!! At last I learn the source of the Andrews assertion. All of these names are familiar to me. I had yet to obtain a copy of the materials from the Hovey genealogy, as these people were made known to me only this past weekend through research in the NEHGR. In realizing that the clue to the Andrews connection probably lay in any estate papers for Thomas (why would Torrey indicate that Sarah was a niece of someone unless there were a clue!), just today I started the ball rolling on where to obtain a copy of the document. Now at least I see the full connection and I will track down a copy of the document for myself.

As regards your comment about Robert Anderson's conclusions, I do not think it is necessarily correct to conclude that Anderson was unsatisfied that Sarah was an Andrews UNLESS one draws that conclusion merely from a viewing of Torrey's work. Anderson was probably unaware of the Hovey document, and considering the mammoth undertaking of his work, it is easy to miss something. I know Robert Anderson a little -- that is to say, we have spoken on the phone a few times, and I know he would be receptive to additional learning on this family for future publication.

Once again, thank you so very much for responding so completely.

Jim

Posted: 26 Feb 2003 12:31AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Edited: 4 Nov 2003 5:04PM GMT
Hi Cousins all, I have never used one of these message boards before so if I goof it up I hope someone will correct for me.
First of all I am a direct descendent of Exersise Conant and Sarah through their son Caleb, born at Beverly Mass 29 April 1683,who married Hannah Crane born at Windham Ct 7 Mar 1692, on 23 Aug 1714.
I know that Sarah is the first name of Exersise's wife as it is so stated in the will. I have seen many claims that her last name was Andrews, daughter of John Andrews but their marriage is reported as 28 Apr 1663 at Mansfield Ct. Mansfield Ct did not exhist until 1702 when it was formed out of Windham and Windham only was formed in 1696 I think. Before that this area was Indian land.
I also note that the Conant Family Book states that he was married in Mass and that their children were born at Beberly Mass.
I do not recall Doug Richardson NEHGR articles but being a member will get copies. I liked the message from Joe Burgess about the Hovey will as that is the very first proof that I have seen that would conclude her madian name was Anderson - Thank you Joe and hope more is forcomming about Sarah {Andrews?} Conant.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic