Search for content in message boards

Devlin; Arboe, county Tyrone

Devlin; Arboe, county Tyrone

Nicole White (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 2000 6:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jul 2001 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: Devlin, McLoughlin, Daly, Richardson, Radigan
The first record of my relatives, that I know of, is Hugh Devlin who was born between the years 1800-1810. He was a grafter of fruit
trees and was in demand for his services in that area. He had at least one son, Bernard Devlin, who was born in Arboe around the year 1835.
Bernard married Nancy McLoughlin and they had at least three childre- Patrick, Sarah, and James. I am a direct decendent of James who
was born May 6, 1860. His nickname was "yellow Danny". He married Mary Agnes Daly whose parents were Harry Daly and Sarah Devlin. Mary was
born May 4, 1865. James J. Devlin and Mary Agnes Daly were married in the parish church of Arboe about the year 1883. They latter immigrated
to New York City. His brother Patrick Devlin, who married Margaret Richardson, first moved to New York. By the time James and Mary got to New
York with their infant son James Joseph, Patrick and his wife had moved. Patrick eventually settled in Indiana. Patrick had a daughter named Anne
who married John Radigan.
This is all I know of that particular side of my family. I would
like to find any relatives from Indiana and Ireland. If you think
you may be related or have information on this branch of the Devlin
clan please contact me.
Thanx

James Devlin

Gerri Hinton (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2001 8:30PM GMT
Dear Nicole, I am also a descendant of a James Devlin (James Lawrence Devlin) who was born in Ireland between 1838 and 1945. He could possibly have a father named Hugh because he named his only son Hugh Robert Devlin. (Robert being his wife's father's name, and logically Hugh could be his father's name) Sometime before 1864 James L. Devlin came to Pennsylvania and served in the Union Army during the Civil War. He went to Oregon by 1881 when he married his wife, Rachel Lavery, and they had 3 children. They lived in Portland OR, Coos Bay, OR. and in Washington for a time. He died in 1902 in a veteran's hospital in Los Angeles, CA. I wish I knew more about his early life and parentage. It would really be a longshot for my James to be a brother of Bernard and a son of Hugh, but it is a possibllity... I am working hard to find the ship that he came to America on, that may give me more clues. He was a miner, and county Tyrone was a strong mining area in Ireland. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Gerri

Re:James Devlin

Nicole (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2001 10:16AM GMT
It's a possible I suppose. I don't know of any of our family moving to Oregon. The all mostly stayed in New York except for one family that moved to Indiana. And my Devlin's were tree grafters. If you still think there is a relation, email me and I will send you what I know.

Devlin Family History

William Joseph Devlin Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2001 8:29AM GMT
Hello, this is Willy (William Joseph Jr.) Devlin & I am investigating possible links to my great-grandfather, Hugh Joseph Devlin, who came to Galveston, Texas appx. 1865. He was born in Liverpool, England to a Hugh Devlin & Eleanor Fitzpatrick, both born in Ireland, but I don't know where yet. I was vacationing in Ireland in 1985 & went to the Arboe area of County Tyrone. We found the old cemetary next to the High Cross of Arboe. It is right on the banks of Lough Neigh at the end of a long, narrowing road which we took going east from Cookstown. There are several Devlin gravestones, some dating back to the 1700's. I researched the name, which was originally O' Devlin & goes way back in that part of Ireland. My great-grandfather's Liverpool birth certificate (1847) shows his parents born in Ireland. If you ever run across a Liverpool connection to the County Tyrone Devlin's I would appreciate any info. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Willy Devlin
1288 Weaton Court
The Villages FL 32159
352-259-2999
willydevlin@aol.com

Re: Devlin; Arboe, county Tyrone

Posted: 2 Oct 2001 6:53PM GMT
Edited: 9 Oct 2005 11:22PM GMT
HI,
I am looking for the information on Devlin family from Arboe, Co. Tyrone. My great great great grandmother name was Ann Devlin daughter of James Devlin and Mary Cassidy. She married to James Martin son of Daniel Martin and Catherine Devlin. James was born in ardean, Co. tyrone. Ann and James were married in September 1858 at Arboe Parish. Their kids were
Daniel
Catherine
Rose Ann
Bridgette
Mary
margaret
Jennifer
James jr.
Felix
and
Joseph

Felix is my great great grandfather.

Daniel (Felix's older brother) was only person stayed in Northern Ireland he married to Rose Muldoon.

Rest of the family came to Rhode Island in 1889.

Nicole White (Gallagher-Devlin) (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2001 2:03AM GMT
Surnames: Devlin
The Devlin Clan originated in Arboe so there are many Devlins who live there. The fact is that we are probably related BUT distantly. I am not yet aware of many of my Devlin anscestors. The earliest person I have record of is a Hugh Devlin who was born around 1800-1810. My family made there living off of the land (tree-grafters and farmers mainly) as many of the people did in Arboe. I have basic information about my side of the clan but not specific names and dates past the direct line of descendents of Hugh's son Bernard Devlin. If you would like this information reply back and as I find out more I will be sure to let you know.
Nicole

Posted: 30 Oct 2002 1:51AM GMT
Edited: 9 Oct 2005 11:22PM GMT
Sure Nicole,
I would be more than happy to have you help me find the informatin of Devlin lineage from Co. Tyrone.

Thanks,
Jennifer (Boone) Roberts

Re: Devlin Family History

Posted: 26 Jun 2004 7:06AM GMT
willy devlin,Hi
I am also researching the devlin family ,Joseph,who had a brother Hugh,born in Douglas Isle of Man Hugh was 20 in 1891 don't know if this is going to help

Posted: 24 Jul 2004 1:08PM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2004 10:20AM GMT
Hello Nicole, I am researching my mother's tree, she is Bridget Devlin a descendant of Catherine McKee b1870 and James Devlin in Stewartstown. However I would like to trace a John Devlin who was one if the Og Devlins of Arboe. He would have been born around 1910 I think and in 1934 was working as a hired hand on a farm near Stewartstown. I would really appreciate any info you might have,
Best wishes
Mary

Posted: 24 Sep 2010 10:36AM GMT
Have a look at this new facebook page re Devlins......

http://www.facebook.com/pages/edit/?id=154934521186523&s...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions