Search for content in message boards

Thomas & Elizabeth Knighton Family Group Sheet

Thomas & Elizabeth Knighton Family Group Sheet

Peggy (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2005 1:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
I would like to share with others the parents & siblings of my gggrandfather, Green L. Knighton:

Family Group Sheet
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Husband: THOMAS KNIGHTON
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Born: 1790 Virginia
Died: Before 1870 Spartanburg Co, SC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wife: ELIZABETH
CHILDREN
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Joseph Knighton
Born: 1810 S.C.
Spouse: Ann
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) Zachariah Knighton
Born: January 1812 South Carolina
Died: 1915 S.C.
Married: Before 1845
Spouse #1: RUTH BELL
Married: 1865 Spartanburg Co, SC
Spouse #2: VIANNA
3) Catherine Knighton
Born: Dec. 18, 1817 Spartanburg Co, SC
Died: January 16, 1890 Spartanburg Co, SC
Married: 1840
Spouse: John Devine Harrelson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) *Green L. Knighton
Born: 1823 Spartanburg Co, SC
Died: Nov 29, 1865 Oxford, Calhoun Co, Ala.
Married: 1846 S.C.
Spouse: Mary A. "Polly" Harrison
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5) Thomas Knighton
Born: 1824 SC
Married: Mary Summers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6) Sarah Knighton
Born: 1825 SC
Spouse: Unknown Belt
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7) William Knighton
Born: 1828
8) Allen T. Knighton
Born: 1829 SC
9) Miles Oliver Knighton
Born: Jan 29, 1834 on Tyger River, Spartanburg Co, SC
Died: August 12, 1914 Spartanburg Co, SC
Married: 1866
Spouse: Isabella Billings
10) Jane Knighton
Born: 1835 Spartanburg Co, SC
Married Abt 1851
Spouse: James Davis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11) Nancy Knighton
Born: 1836 SC
12) Melissa Knighton
Born: 1840
===========================================
On the 1840 Spartanburg Co, SC Census-
House # 640=
THOMAS KNIGHTON
1 male 0-4 (b:1836-1840)=?
2 males 5-10- (b:1830-1835)= Miles Oliver & Allen T.
1 male 10-14 (b:1826-1830)= William
2 males 15-19 (b:1821-1825)= Green L. & ?
2 males 20-29 (b:1811-1820)= Thomas & Joseph
Thomas, age 50-59 (b:1781-1790)
2 females 5-9 (b:1831-1835)= Jane & Nancy
2 females 10-14 (b:1826-1830)= Sarah & ?
1 female 20-29 (b:1811-1820)= Catherine
1 female 40-49 (b:1791-1800)= Elizabeth b: 1795
(Note: Zachariah Knighton was married to Ruth Bell and was also head of household in 1840).

On the 1860 Spartanburg Co, SC Census- Page 346- Rogers Bridge Road:
THOMAS NIGHTON, age 70 (b:1790)
Wife: ELIZABETH, age 65 (b:1795)
Dau: SARAH, age 35 (b:1825)
Dau: MELISSA, age 20 (b:1840)
Dau: NANCY, age 24 (b:1836)
Son: MILES OLIVER, age 23 (b:1837- should be 1834)
Son-in-law: JAMES DAVIS, age 30
Dau: JANE DAVIS, age 25
Grandau: SARAH DAVIS, age 8
Grandau: SALLY DAVIS, age 4
Grandau: LAURA, age 1

Next door Live:
Thomas & Elizabeth Knighton's son:
THOMAS NIGHTON, age 39 (b:1821)
Wife: MARY, age 30 (b:1830)
Son: ZACK, age 10 (b:1850)
Son: JAMES, age 8 (b:1852)
Dau: LIZZIE, age 6 (b:1854).
===========================================

Re: Thomas & Elizabeth Knighton Family Group Sheet

Pattie Knighton (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 2005 11:55PM GMT
Surnames: Knighton, Cason, Ruff, Loughridge
I would love to share info if I could just figure out where we hook up! Most of my Knightons generate from the Fairfield District in South Carolina. Thomas & Jane Freeman Knighton; lots of Moses' . I don't seem to have any of your ancestors in my database -- not even maiden names! Do you have anything/anyone else I can check on to see if we connect somewhere? pk

Peggy (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2005 2:27AM GMT
Hi Pattie,
So far I'm still "stuck" in Spartanburg Co, SC with my Knighton ancestry. I was just thrilled to finally get beyond my gggrandfather, Green L. Knighton, to find his parents & siblings !!
So, I haven't gotten further than this right now.
If you have any suggestions on where I should go next, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your reply,
Peggy

Knighton leads

Posted: 14 Mar 2005 12:58AM GMT
Surnames: Knighton, Cason, Ruff, Kirkham, Allison
There's a very nice man named Gene Allred in Mississippi who has done YEARS of legwork on Knighton leads. He used to have a Knighton website. On the internet type in "Knighton" and go to your South Carolina county websites. I met some really nice folks that way. If you REALLY want to get overwhelmed try "Cyndy's List" of Geneology Websites. That ought to keep you busy for days! Keep in touch and let me know if I can help with anything else. God Bless -- Pattie K.

Re: Knighton leads

Peggy (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2005 1:14AM GMT
Thanks, Pattie, for your wonderful suggestions, but I have been in touch with Gene Allred years ago and at that time, he didn't know much about the Spartanburg Co, SC Knightons.
I've tried Cindy's List before, but I find that Genealogy Site very confusing.
I still think the Knightons from Spartanburg SC may have been using the surnames McKnight/Knight/ or Night/Nighten/Nighton prior to 1830.
At this present time, I'm just happy to finally find Gggrandfather Green L. Knighton's parents & siblings.

Some lines are easier to research than others, but Dad's lines have really been so difficult ! I guess the main reason is because Dad's family were involved in two "Oil" Inheritances (Strickland & Humphreys/Humphries) and someone has gone to the various courthouses and walked out with any Wills/Land Records, etc. they could find back in the late 1950's. So, all I have to work with are the Census Records, which are helpful, but doesn't really "Prove" a relationship to another family....

Oh well, does anyone know how Gene Allred is doing now?
I hope he's okay.
Thanks for replying, Pattie,
Peggy

Gene Allred

Posted: 16 Mar 2005 6:59PM GMT
Surnames: Knighton
Sad to say I haven't been in touch with Mr. Allred in some time, but his research is still blessing so many others. I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm chasing down so many "Thomas" "Moses" and "Isaac" Knightons I was relieved to see the uniqueness of your "Green". I will tell you this --- I've seen a Moses Green Knighton before from South Carolina somewhere, & for some reason something's telling me to do some more checking on him. I'm not that familiar with him, but there is that old English tradition about the Mother giving her son her maiden name for his middle name.
It's a thought --- anyway keep the faith! Pattie K.

Re: Gene Allred

Posted: 6 Dec 2005 8:08PM GMT
Edited: 19 Dec 2005 3:44PM GMT
Surnames: Knighton
I also have the Issac Knighton's and Moses Knighton in my line.

My line is Issac Knighton Jr's daughter, Elizabeth (or Sarah Elizabeth) married James Rasberry.

I would love to exchange information on the Knighton line.

Thanks,
Deborah

Peggy (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2005 2:16AM GMT
Classification: Death
From the Unity Baptist Church Minutes Book,
Spartanburg, South Carolina.

Thomas Niton (Knighton) name was mentioned as being a member of the Church on June 14, 1823.
His DEATH was July 1867, according to the Unity Baptist Church Minutes Book.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions