Search for content in message boards

Irish immigrants to Canada

Irish immigrants to Canada

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 11:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for any type of clues on how to trace my ancestors from Canada back to Ireland. If anyone has any hints, I would sure appreciate the help. My great great grandparents emmigrated sometime in the 1850s. I am stuck and cannot locate any information for them coming from any/which county in Ireland. Thank you.

Re: Irish immigrants to Canada

Posted: 10 Jul 2011 1:12PM GMT
I'm in the same situation and would appreciate the same tips!

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 11:41PM GMT
Surnames: Ashbury
What surname(s)are you tracing? I am tracing the Ashbury's of Ontario, Canada.

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 11:23PM GMT
To everyone searching for information re ancestors in Skerries Co Dublin, you will be interested to know that www.Irelandxo.ie have launched "Ireland Reaching Out " The Gathering, aimed at involving the disapora all over the world in finding out about their towns and ancestors. The site will include valuable information to sources and also has message board to which you can add messages, about any Parish in Ireland, as well as my own particular parish Skerries in Co Dublin. Helpers may be able to assist you in your searches, but the site is full of connections to research tools and information with many on line. If you happen to know the name of a parish your ancestor came from you can check if that parish is online yet, if not you can put messages on the general site. I can help with some of the genealogical searches in Skerries records but I may be able to give you some more information if you can give me mmore details of names, towns, city, occupations etc. VMcG Skerries

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 11:23PM GMT
To everyone searching for information re ancestors in Skerries Co Dublin, you will be interested to know that www.Irelandxo.ie have launched "Ireland Reaching Out " The Gathering, aimed at involving the disapora all over the world in finding out about their towns and ancestors. The site will include valuable information to sources and also has message board to which you can add messages, about any Parish in Ireland, as well as my own particular parish Skerries in Co Dublin. Helpers may be able to assist you in your searches, but the site is full of connections to research tools and information with many on line. If you happen to know the name of a parish your ancestor came from you can check if that parish is online yet, if not you can put messages on the general site. I can help with some of the genealogical searches in Skerries records. VMcG Skerries

Posted: 23 Aug 2012 5:30PM GMT
Surnames: Stinson Stenson Stinston Stevenson
Thanks for the information. I have just registered with the site and am awaiting my password. I don't have much information about my ancestor, Thomas Stinson (Stenson/Stinston/Stevenson)possible middle name of Frances, just that he was Church of England and born abt 1836 in Ireland. He settled in Cavan, Ontario (married there in 1855) so I'll probably start with that county in Ireland. I don't know the name of his parents. I will put up some messages on the general site as soon as I can. LS

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 8:47PM GMT
Hi Linda,re your ancestor if he was married in Ontario in 1855 you should be able to get a copy of a marriage licence, if they started their civil records that early. You said "Cavan, Ontario" do you mean Cavan in Ontario or Co Cavan Ireland? If it was Cavan Ireland, you might find it on the mormon site under marriages, as the C Of I records were state records and were copied by the mormons at some stage, and sometimes you can be lucky and find a birth or marriage there.As the British custom was followed usually in most of the Commonwealth countries, compulsory civil registration usually started around 1864 (in Ireland anyway) but the C of I records here go from 1845. You might be lucky if it is Canada. The marriage certs are very useful as they usually give the name of the bride and groom's fathers (not mothers) occupations, plus a general town or townland address.There are sometimes more C Of I records surviving in general as it was the imposed first Church. I will check myself when I'm in the Nat Library, which may not be for a few weeks, but I will follow up if I find anything relevant, Good Luck, V McG

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 9:50PM GMT
Surnames: Stinson
They were married in Cavan Township, Durham County, Ontario, though it was known as Upper Canada back then. And I did get the transcript of the marriage license from the Anglican Church of Canada but it only states that it was a "special license" and there are no parents names or occupations listed, just the bride (Mary McLellan) and groom (Thomas Stenson) and their ages, the 2 witnesses, the minister and fact that it was Church of England! How frustrating,just one of the reasons that I'm stymied in this search--also can't find any death record of him!

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 10:30PM GMT
What names are you researching?

Re: Thomas Stinson Irish immigrants to Canada

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 3:18AM GMT
I believe you will find Thomas in the 1871 census, and with Mary in the 1881 census, and Thomas as widower in the 1891 census living with son John and his family.

Familysearch.org has death of son Samuel in 1913 with parents shown as Thomas and Mary as well as birth of daughter Mary Ann in 1871.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions