Search for content in message boards

Pleasant Hill Cemetery, West Jefferson

Pleasant Hill Cemetery, West Jefferson

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 6:20PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Goodson
I am trying to locate where my Great Grandfather John L (believed to be Leslie) Goodson is buried. I am fairly confident that he was born on January 8th 1868 in West Jefferson, Madison County, Ohio but have no idea when or where he passed away. Several of his ancestors including his Mother (Eliza Jane Huffman Goodson) and Father (George Washington Goodson) are buried in Pleasant Hill Cemetery or surrounding cemeteries.

Re: Pleasant Hill Cemetery, West Jefferson

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 7:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Goodson, Cullumber, Huffman
found the following Madison county OHIO Probate records
a male child was born to Thomas Goodson and Mary E Cullumber on Jan 8, 1868. Thomas Goodson and Mary Cullumber were married Apr 5, 1867 in Madison County Ohio

Thomas Goodson is the son of George and Eliza Huffman Goodson, his death record has the birth date of 1853 but other records have the date 1845, according to the obit of George, he and Eliza were married in 1845.

John L Goodson appears to be buried in Dale Cemetery, IN

George and Eliza Huffman Goodson had a son John Wilson Goodson b 7 Oct 1858 Madison County OH and died 8 Jan 1923 Madison County OH

hope this helps

Pat

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 2:50PM GMT
Surnames: Goodson, Hargage, Arnett
John Wilson Goodson was married to Clara Harbage on Feb 9, 1888 she is the d/o Owen Harbage b 1838 England and Minerva F. Arnett b Jan 1 1835 all buried Pleasant Hill cemetery in W Jefferson OH

hope this helps
Pat

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 10:10PM GMT
Thanks Pat.

I already have all that information, actually I have a whole lot more than that but am stumped on the death date/place of my Great Grandfather John L Goodson.

Thanks again for your assistance...

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 11:47PM GMT
Surnames: Goodson, Cullumber, Huffman
you have a date of birth for John L Goodson of Jan 8, 1868 and that is the date for the son of Thomas and Mary Cullumber Goodson's son. Madison County probate records and 1870 census.

this family in 1870 census is in Kansas with two sons John b 1868 and William b 1869. this family returned to Madison County OH in 1880 census in Madison County OH

you mention that George and Eliza Huffman Goodson are the parents of your John but according to the records I have their son is John Wilson Goodson. Beers 1883 History of Madison county and obit for George W Goodson

you posted on find a grave that John L Goodson s/o Thomas and Mary Cullumber Goodson is buried in Dale cemetery in Indiana.

this John L Goodson would be the grandson of George and Eliza Huffman Goodson.

I did pull the ARW record for Thomas Goodson b 1755 Frederick county MD died in 1837 Floyd County VA buried Pine Creek Baptist Cemetery, Floyd county VA.

also looked at DAR records
I do not find another John L Goodson in the family.

do you have any of the Wilson information?

thanks

Pat

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 12:08AM GMT
Pat,

You are correct. I was not thinking correctly in my original post. John is Thomas W and Mary Ellen Cullumber's son. I just wish I could figure out when/where he died. I am currently waiting on a death certificate to see if the John Goodson who died in Dayton, ohio could be him...

I do have quite a bit of information on the Wilson's as well. I have spent quite a bit of time in the past year researching and I currently have over 20,000 people in my family tree.

Just out of curiosity, are you relation?

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 12:22AM GMT
Pat,

I forgot to mention it but yes, I have him listed in Dale Cemetery Indiana but I am pretty certain that is incorrect. That was just a guess because I thought his son was buried there but then discovered that his son was actually buried at Everton Cemetery in Indiana. I am pretty certain that he is not there though.

I'm still trying to figure out whether John actually left Ohio or not. I know for fact that his son George (born in Ohio) did but cannot figure it out for John. I know that he married Minnie Jane Hahn who was from Indiana. It appeared that she moved to Ohio to be with him but once divorced, she returned to Indiana.

Thanks again pat...

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 3:01AM GMT
Surnames: goodson, Johnson
hi

did some checking for an obit for John but there doesn't appear to be one in Madison County papers.

did a search of the cemetery records I have but didn't find him there either. Pleasant Hill is a Jefferson township cemetery, I would contact the township clerk and have them do a search.

found the family in the 1900 census in Madison County but after that he seems to vanish. his occupation is listed as a baker. If you notice he has taken 2 years off his age, most did this so they wouldn't appear to be to old to work.

will keep looking, I noticed his children married in Indiana, what year did Minnie return there.

I am not a Goodson family member but have a few lines that married into the family. My ggg gandparents, were their neighbors. I have a 1906 picture of the Johnson school but there are no Goodson's in the picture.

have a few more places to look.

thanks

Pat

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 5:34PM GMT
Hello Pat,

Thanks for all of the research you are doing.

Minnie returned to Indiana somewhere between 1900-1910. On the 1910 census record she is living in Rushville Indiana with their four children (Donald, Geneva, George and Mary Louise). The record also states that she is divorced. I haven't been able to locate a divorce record online for them either.

I just came across something the other day that I thought was quite interesting. There is a Goodson road and a Taylor-Blair road in West Jefferson. I haven't had time to research it yet but I assume this must have been where some of the Goodson's & Blair's farmed. I read in one of the History of Madison County books that George owned quite a bit of farm land.

I visited Pleasant Hill Cemetery a few months ago and saw where George and Eliza are buried. I thought it was a bit odd that they had such a large Goodson marker and only the two of them appear to be buried there. I also need to check with Jefferson Township to see if they paid for the lots surrounding them.

Thanks again,
Bob

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 7:30PM GMT
Surnames: Goodson, Blair, Thompson, Johnson
Hi Bob

still no luck with John L Goodson, did find the Goodson, Blair and Johnson land on the 1875 map of Jefferson twp. their farms joined each other. As did several others that married Goodson's. I don't have any other later plat maps for Jefferson twp.

I have been on Goodson and Taylor Blair Rds several times and now I know where they lived. Goodson Rd runs between st rt 42 and Byerly Mill rd. The Byerly's are part of my family.

also living near the Goodson's are the Thompson family and I wonder if this is George Blair's mother's family. John Blair married Jency Thompson, May 5, 1814 in Madison county OH

George W Blair married Rachel Goodson, May 1, 1841 Franklin county OH

Still have a few more places to look, I cleaned my office and can't find my notes.

thanks

Pat
per page

Find a board about a specific topic