Search for content in message boards

Rev. William Jennings b. 1760-67

Rev. William Jennings b. 1760-67

Barbara Doty (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2002 7:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Nov 2009 7:37PM GMT
This Wm. Jennings lived for a time in GA (about 1794-98). By 1812 is found in Franklin County TN. In 1820 he is a Bapitist Preacher in Cooper Co. MO.

Re: Rev. William Jennings b. 1760-67

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 1:42AM GMT
We too are trying to see if we are tied to Rev. William Jennings through his second marriage to Polly (Mary). We wonder if the Mary Jennings in the 1850 census, District No 23, Cooper County, MO is William's second wife. She is living next to Elizabeth Jennings (Is Elizabeth Jennings next door to Mary the wife of Martin Jennings?). We decend through Rhoda Jennings Dewitt (Mary's daughter) who is also in that same census. This would put William about thirty years older than this Mary. Do you know if they are connected? Sandra Ihrig

Re: Elizabeth Jennings

Posted: 8 Nov 2009 4:32AM GMT
Edited: 10 Nov 2009 7:38PM GMT
I do not think the Elizabeth Jennings in the 1850 Cooper County MO census you mention is the widow of Martin Jennings. Here's why:

1. Martin died in 1841, and I found in his probate packet a statement signed by Charles Woods and Phillip Davis that as far as they knew, she was living in Shelby County, Tennessee. Charles and Phillip were married to the sisters of Martin--Charles to Susan Jennings and Martin to Cynthia Jennings. Charles and Susan are my 3rd great grandparents on my mother's side.

2. The 1850 census has an Elizabeth Jennings, born in Virginia, widowed, with Lafayette and William Jennings--both born in Missouri. William was the name of Martin's father, so it seems he was named after his grandfather.

3. The Elizabeth Jennings in Cooper County's 1850 census was born in Ireland, which isn't a real issue. However, Mary who is 15 years younger was also born in Ireland, and the rest of the household were born in Pennsylvania. I think it highly unlikely that these would be children of Martin's, as he is mentioned in various documents as being a constble in the 1830's, and also in land deeds. This was all in Cooper County. The Jennings family I do not feel has any connection to Pennsylvania--instead they were from the south (Virginia, Tennessee and Georgia).

As for Mary Jennings being widow of William Jennings--that I think is possible. I do know she is mentioned in some land deeds as "Polly", a nickname for Mary.

I don't know if this helps or not, just wanted to give another point of view.

Harold Kerr
New Franklin MO

Re: Elizabeth Jennings

Posted: 8 Nov 2009 3:10PM GMT
Edited: 10 Nov 2009 7:38PM GMT
Thank you for your input. Our research stopped at the 1850 census at Mary Jennings. We have done mitrocondrial DNA tests and it is through this female lineage (that flows through Mary Jennings) that we found we have an African female ancestor. This African female ancestor happens to have the oldest known DNA lineage "Mitochondrial Eve", Haplogroup L1b that goes back to 150,000-170,000 years ago. With the percentage of Aftrican markers in my blood and the number of generations (counting backward), we have made the assumption that our African ancestor probabley came to America on a slave ship. It was not uncommon for the slave owners of that time to import slaves from Aftrica for their specialized farming skills into the Carolina's from the part of Africa that our black ancestor came from.

At the time, in our American history, that William and Mary Jennings lived in Cooper County, Missouri; that area of Misssouri was known as "Little Dixie" (Missouri's "slave belt" or "black belt"). The black population was about 25% and about one in five people were mulatto. So the possibility of Mary (William Jenning's second wife) being of mixed blood is very likely, in our opinion. Sandra Ihrig

Re: Mary/Polly Jennings

Posted: 8 Nov 2009 8:20PM GMT
Edited: 10 Nov 2009 7:39PM GMT
That is very interesting! I live in this area known as "Little Dixie" so I know of what you speak! I think Mary/Polly was a second wife of William Jennings. I think I said that before, so forgive my repeat if that is one.

I know William Jennings and Charles Woods had several disagreements. The dynamics were this: William gave some land to Martin. Charles and Phillip Davis (the other son-in-law of William) filed a case in which they questioned William's mental ability. There was a rather extensive agreement reached between Martin, Charles and Phillip that plit property evenly between the 3. This included slaves. The dollar figure for each side was even, to the penny. Charles and Martin also had several disagreements. Phillip seems to have been on Charles's "side" but not to the degree Charles was.

Not sure what this might mean with your message, I just found it interesting--kind of like an early "Jerry Springer" episode!

Re: Jennings

Posted: 9 Nov 2009 2:02AM GMT
This is what makes genealogy so interesting. :-) I like your sense of humor. Sandra Ihrig

Re: Jennings

Posted: 9 Nov 2009 2:41AM GMT
Genealogy is so much more than names and dates--I like the stories! The juicier the better!

Posted: 26 May 2010 9:28PM GMT
Edited: 26 May 2010 11:36PM GMT
I just found your discussions re. the Jennings family in Missouri. I too am descended from Charles Woods and Susan Jennings, my third great-grandparents on my father's side. My father was born in Sedalia.

I am just starting to pursue the ancestors of Susan and have a couple of questions for you. What source-citations have you come across regarding William and Mary/Polly Jennings? Have you found when/where they were married and do you have a complete list of their children? Also, Charles Woods, in his application for pension for the War of 1812, claims he was a non-commissioned officer. But some of the histories of Cooper County claim he became a general later on. Is this true??

Thanks for any assistance...Regards John Howard

Re: Mary Jennings

Posted: 26 May 2010 10:36PM GMT
Edited: 26 May 2010 11:36PM GMT
The document that ties Mary (Polly)Jennings & William Jennings is a land transaction that mentions Polly giving back some land to one of William's children from his first wife, per William's agreement with them. We are unable to locate a marriage record, though the land document mentions them as being married. Both Mary and William were widowed within a year apart. In the 1850 census you will find Mary Jennings in Cooper County and her daughter Rhoda Jennings-Dewitt listed next to her. Rhoda is my ancestor. I hope this helps. I see your name is Howard. My great great grandmother was Susan Frances Howard b. 1828 (m. Isaac Spencer Ellis). Her father was Thomas J. Howard. Do you have any information on Thomas? My personal email is: sandra_ihrig@yahoo.com.

Posted: 27 May 2010 12:16AM GMT
Charles and Susan are also my third great-grandparents.

William's wife's name is a mystery to me. he had three children: a son named Martin and two daughters: Susan and Cynthia. Martin died in 1841 and his wife was named Elizabeth. There were a series of court causes, with Martin on one side and Cynthia and Susan and their husbands (Charles Woods and Philip E. Davis) on the other. These cases pertained to Martin's taking advantage of their father, who was (for lack of a better term here) senile.

Regarding Charles's rank in the War of 1812. I found a military land bounty on the GLO-BLM website that states he was a Corporal. I, too, wondered about his being a General, and I found no proof of that. There was a General Charles Woods, but he was from Ohio and this was in the Civil War.

My personal email is bucman89@yahoo.com. I would like to hear from you and I can share more with you that way.

Harold Kerr II
New Franklin MO
per page

Find a board about a specific topic