Search for content in message boards

Czechs of Manitowoc County

Czechs of Manitowoc County

Posted: 10 Jul 2009 7:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Levash and Radej
I've heard that many of the Czechs who settled in Manitowoc County came from the Domazlice area of the Czech Republic. Can anyone confirm or refute this? I do know my family settled near Taus in Manitowoc County. I've discovered that Taus is what the Germans call Domazlice due to its close proximity to the German/Austrian border.

I appreciate the comments,

David

Re: Czechs of Manitowoc County

Posted: 3 Oct 2009 5:02AM GMT
Hi David,

Your information is correct. There was a Czech population that settled in the area around Taus. Many settled in Cooperstown, Franklin and Kossuth Townships. Most were Catholic and there are numerous cemeteries where Czech names are common (St. Wenceslaus/Greenstreet Cemetery, Kossuth Bohemian Cemetery, and St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery to name a few).

My Czech ancestors attended St. Joseph's Catholic church in the village of Kellnersville.

Tom

Posted: 3 Oct 2009 4:25PM GMT
Thanks for the info. Do you know your Czech ancestors' birth town? Was it Domazlice or a town near it?

Posted: 3 Oct 2009 8:52PM GMT
My ggf was born in Černikov which is about 4 km NE of Kdyně (somewhat near to Domažlice). My ggm was born in Hosty which is in the České Budějovice region.

I would guess that only the person that named the village of Taus was from that area in Bohemia. There maybe some information on the village at the Manitowoc Historical Society.

Tom

Posted: 3 Oct 2009 10:13PM GMT
Interesting. May I ask how you found the birth towns? I have yet to find a record that states the birth towns in Bohemia. I've only got a suspicion that they were from the Domazlice area. Any suggestions?

David

Posted: 3 Oct 2009 11:27PM GMT
Well, you have some work to do. You first need to discover the when and where of your ancestors. When did they emigrate and where did they live (and when did they live there).

If you know when the arrived you might be able to find the passenger list. Depending on the time frame, the list may name the village they came from. You can usually get a time frame for emigration from the 1900 and 1910 federal census (and maybe the 1880 census). Ancestry.com is a good place to search these records (if you have a subscription) otherwise you can try your local library or a LDS Family History center (which are open to the public).

If the passenger list gives no clue, I would then try to learn what church they attended. You can learn what township they lived in from census records and plat maps - if they owned property. There are some plat maps on the Manitowoc County genealogy website. Once you know the township, you can look for churches that were nearby (keep in mind there maybe more than one church to consider). If they attended a Catholic church most of the church records are available from the diocese archive in Green Bay - you can search these records if you visit there. If you live in the Manitowoc area you might go directly to the church and ask if they will help search their records (usually you give them a modest cash donation).

I have found village names in marriage, baptism and death records - both in church records and sometimes in civil records (especially civil death records - again, depending on the time frame).

If that doesn't work out, try to find when he was naturalized. This can also be found on the census records. If you know the year you can contact the library at the University of Green Bay (which houses the declaration of intent and naturalization papers for Manitowoc County). They will search for these documents, usually in a 10 year window for a modest fee.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Posted: 28 Dec 2009 5:21AM GMT
I can confirm that my wife's Great-Great Grandfather, Josef Rezachek, and his wife, Katherine Hana came from that area of the Czech Republic -- they were from the village of Drazenov, which is just west of Domazlice.

I've found other Manitowoc family names in the church records from that area in the Czech Republic, but I can't speak affirmatively about those. Hope this helps, "PJ" Braun

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 7:17PM GMT
Hi David: Saw your posting on Ancestry message board dated 10 jul 2009. Surname Radej is related to me.y grandparents came to Cooperstown in 1907, with three sons My grandfather was Josef Stary and grandmother was Anna Krt. Her sister Mary Krt was married to John Radej or Rady. The three sons were John, Josepkh and James Stary. My dad Emil, was born in Cooperstown and baptized at St. Joseph's in Kelnersville. They stayed on a farm (their Sponsors?) named Hoffman (Hoffmann- Hofmann) before moving to the east side of Green Bay. My grandparents came from Domazlice.

How are you related to the Radejs?

My e-mail is carver11@earthlink.net

If have any information I would appreciate it.

Thanks! Gary J. Stary
Green Bay

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 8:12PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2011 8:12PM GMT
Hi Gary thanks for the response. Are you saying your family immigrated from Domazlice in 1907 or just moved to Cooperstown from somewhere else domestically in 1907? My Radej (Radey, Rady, etc) family moved from Hrichovice which is a couple miles outsize the town of Domazlice. So it's entirely possibly they are related. My Radej family go here in 1861, however, and moved in to the taus, cooperstown, kelnersville area. If your family didn't get here 'til 1907 we wouldn't be able to determine our relationship.

My great-great grandma was Anna Radej who is buried in Klondike, WI, a few miles west of of Coleman/Pound. Her daughter married my great grandpa John LeClair.

Posted: 1 Mar 2011 2:03PM GMT
Edited: 1 Mar 2011 2:07PM GMT
Dave: Yes, my grandparents came to Cooperstown in 1907. Is Radej, Rady and Rath The same family? Also, an obit in the Green Bay Press-Gazzette listed a John A. Radej who died Feb. 13th. He was born July 26, 1939. He lived in Colorado Springs, Co. Is he related to you? John and his sister Carol Laundre are my cousins.

Gary J. Stary
carver11@earthlink.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions