Search for content in message boards

Dickson from Belfast Ireland 1815

Dickson from Belfast Ireland 1815

Posted: 25 Jan 2005 12:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Apr 2005 3:13PM GMT
Surnames: Dickson
Looking for Robert Dickson (1775-1854) and wife Rebecca (1783-1871) who went to Belfast in October 1815 with their children Robert, Michael, William, James Kinnier and Mary Ann and emigrated to Charleston, SC the week before Christmas after a 7 week and 3 day voyage.

Any information on emigration would be greatly appreciated.

cgrayden@ev1.net

Re: Dickson from Belfast Ireland 1815

Posted: 11 Feb 2005 7:24PM GMT
I didn't see any immigration records but I was able to find Robert on the 1820 through 1850 census. I can send them to you if you like.

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 1:55PM GMT
Surnames: Dickson, Dixon and McMurry
Rose,
It's possible that Dickson may have been spelled Dixon. I've seen that in census records. Is there any immigration record for Dixon?

The Dickson's came over with the McMurry's -Robert, Rebecca and Michael.

What census records did you find the Dickson's on?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 2:51PM GMT
I found the Dickson's on the US census records in Spartanburg South Carolina from 1820-1850. Prior to 1850, only heads of households were named. On the 1850, the last name is spelled Dixon and living right next door are the McMurry's. I did not find any McMurry's in Spartanburg prior to 1850.

The only possible immigration records I found was a Robert Dickson that arrived in Philadelphia Oct 17, 1817 from the port of Halifax on the schooner Rosemary. It doesn't say where he came from . The other is for Robert Dawson who arrived in Philadelphia June 24, 1816 from the port of Belfast on the ship George. Again, does not state where he came from. No McMurry's are listed on either ship's manifest nor did I find them on any other passenger list that arrived prior to 1820. There are no immigration records at this time specifically for SC ports.

Hope this helps
Rose

Attachments:

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 5:03PM GMT
Surnames: Dickson, Dixon, McMurry
Rose,
Thank you so much for all your effort. I did not have 1830 or 1840 census records.

Family history is that due to the persecution in Scotland 5 brothers of Dicksons refugeed from Scotland to the north of Ireland. One of the brothers settled in County Down near Belfast. The other 4 brothers settled in County Tyrone near Dungannon. In October 1815 Robert Dickson went to Belfast and engaged passage for five families and they all landed in Charleston, SC the week before Christmas after a long voyage of 7 weeks and 3 days. They went to Spartanburg District by wagons.

Robert McMurry came from Ireland to South Carolina in 1828 and settled in Spartanburgh. Are there any records for 1828?

Have you found an authority source on immigration coming from the United Kingdom to America? I have some other family names that I'm looking for.

Thanks.
Cheryl

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 5:18PM GMT
I'll be happy to help find other's for you. All the information I found so far is on Ancestry. There is another good site that is free, www.theshiplist.com

I will see if I can find the McMurry's.

Posted: 15 Feb 2005 7:02PM GMT
Hi Cheryl
I was able to find Robert McMurry on the 1830 & 1840 in Spartanburg. On the 1830 the last name appears as Murray but he is shown as between age 40-45.

This might be the correct immigration record.
Name: Rob't McMurray
Year: 1827
Place: Charleston, South Carolina
Source Publication Code: 3248.50
Primary Immigrant: McMurray, Rob't
Annotation: Date and port of arrival. Extracted from custom collector's copies of passenger lists from National Archives microfilm, Microcopy 575, Roll 2 and State Department Transcripts of ships' passenger list at the National Archives, in Record Group 36. Some of the information appeared serially in the South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, 1989. Name of ship, port of embarkation, country of origin, place of intended inhabitation, and the gender and occupation of the immigrant are also provided. This book was indexed as source number 4058.10 in PILI 2001 Part 1.
Source Bibliography: HOLCOMB, BRENT H. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Charleston, 1820-1829. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1994. 178p.
Page: 142

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Rose
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Feb 2005 8:18PM GMT
Surnames: Dickson, Dixon, McMurry, Murry, Oliver
Rose,
This is great. I previously found R McMurry, age 63 with wife Mary, age 60 on the 1850 Spartanburg, SC census (m532-858, page 242/066. However, family documents indicate he was born in 1787, emigrated from Ireland to Canada in 1823 and died from yellow fever there. I'm confused but in the 1850 Spartanburg census he is living next door so that would be too coincidental. I believe this Robert McMurry is the brother and not the father of Rebecca.

I just need to obtain the documentation and see what it says.

I wasn't able to navigate thethipslist.com.

I'm looking for Oliver's / Olliver's entering the country in the 1600 and 1700's. Am trying to create a data base because I have hit a brick wall at Stephen Oliver (b. 1752 possibly Delaware and died at unknown date in North Carolina).

Thanks so much Rose.

Cheryl
Austin, TX

Posted: 15 Feb 2005 10:40PM GMT
Hi Cheryl,
There are approx 210 records of Oliver's arriving in the US between 1600-1700. No Stephen's. One of interest was Evan Oliver and family who arrived on July 26, 1682 at the Bay or River of Delaware. According to the source of the record he and his family were passengers who sailed with William Penn (founder of Pennsylvania). According to another source, Evan sailed from Bristol, England.

Only 1 Stephen on the 1790 who is living in Boston,On the 1800& 1810 census there are 2 Stephen's in NC, one in Person Co, the other in Johnston Co. 1820 and 1830 only Stephen in Johnston Co NC is listed. From 1790-1830 for all states, there were only a few Stephen Olivers and 2 were in NC.In 1840 there were none in NC about 10 in the rest of the country. Not a popular first name in the Oliver line.

Let me know if you are interested in anyone in particular.

Rose

Posted: 16 Feb 2005 2:24PM GMT
Surnames: Dickson, Dixon, Oliver
Rose,
My Stephen Oliver is the one in Person Cty., NC in 1800, 1810 and 1820. There is a writing that says his parents may be Aaron Oliver and Abigail Townsend of Delaware. I have not been able to verify that. I requested and received their wills from Sussex Cty., DE and nothing was said of Stephen. I have Stephen's will from May 28, 1828 from Person Cty., NC and no further information is given. I have not been able to find his death date nor burial information. I have Stephen's birthdate about 1752 in Delaware but no proof of that.

Is there some way to get the 210 records of Oliver's? Since I hit a brick wall I'm trying to get all the Oliver data from around 1600-1700. So far I have US Federal Census records from 1790-1820 and have Revolutionary War Records. There must be a better way but with no single source and running down dead ends this seems like a way to determine the population with data and string the families together.

Your help has been great. Thank you very much.

Cheryl
Austin, TX

per page

Find a board about a specific topic