Search for content in message boards

War Trophy Room, Whitehall, England

War Trophy Room, Whitehall, England

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 9:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Mar 2011 1:25PM GMT
Surnames: Nixon, Copp, Watson, Malone, Ogden, Bell, Grant, Maddox, O'Rouke, Porter, James, Warfield, de Jean, Wilson, Cowan
My ancestor was 1815 Battle of New Orleans, Adjutant Lt. John (W.?) Nixon, de Jean's 1st Louisiana Militia, who fought the British on the far West bank of the Mississippi River. When over-run, he spiked his two light cannon and retreated. The regimental flag was captured. Are, or were; Nixon's two light cannon in the War Trophy Room, Whitehall, England?

Nixon was the attorney for the City of New Orleans and 1811 helped found it's Masonic Lodge. He arrived by 1806. He was born Macguiresbridge, County Fermanough, N. Ireland (on the Caven Co. line), April 23, 1787. He died Biloxi, Mississippi, June 4th or 7th, 1849, here he owned the Nixon House Hotel. Nixon, Copp, and James Streets, Biloxi, are named for his family. He is entombed Biloxi City Cemetery, old section, adjoining the waterfront highway. The tomb survived Hurricane Katrina, but his tombstone is missing from it. Pre-Katrina, less than half of his stone was there.

His son-in-law was New Orleans assistant city attorney, Peregrine "Perry" Snowden Warfield, Esq., from Georgetown, D.C.; close kin of base-born Bessie Warfield who wed King Edward VIII of England. His wife was Martha Bell Nixon, born New Orleans May 15, 1818, died Biloxi, July 12, 1904. I descend daughter Jane Ann Nixon, born New Orleans June 2, 1820, died Biloxi, April 14, 1898, school teacher, second wife of Lt.Col. Robert Wm. James. They had Capt. Harry Copp James, Biloxi ships pilot and harbormaster. He is named for Lt. Nixon's wife, Adeline Cecelia Copp, the daughter of New Orleans lawyer, David Copp, Jr., Esq., of Dover, N.H. , murdered 1803, in a New Orleans gambling house, and wife, Mary "Polly" Watson of Portsmouth, N.H. Widowed, Mrs. Mary Watson Copp wed Robert Porter, believed Collector of U.S. customs, New Orleans.

Other children were Robert Porter Nixon, born and died 1816. John Washington Nixon, born 1822, U.S. Navy and Confederate Navy paymaster, died 1888, Augusta, Georgia, married Kate Maddox. Henry Kirk Nixon, 1830-1908, New Orleans policemen, married Mary O'Rourke. His descendant, a Chief U.S. District Judge, impeached in U.S. Congress. John Washington Nixon, Esq.(lawyer, son Gwinn Henry Nixon, 1861-1920, also a lawyer, as was his son Gwinn Huxley Nixon, Esq., 1906-1994), 1822-1888, U.S. Navy and Confederate Navy paymaster; wed Kate Maddox, died Augusta, Georgia.

Catherina Grant Nixon, 1835-1863. and Miss Rowina Grant "Miss Pinky" Nixon, 1839-1917.

Lt. Nixon's parents are unknown. Possibly he was an Ennislillen, N. Ireland Freemason? Where did he learn law? Soon after arrival, Nixon owned 10,000 acres of cypress swampland around New Orleans.

In 1914, New Years Day, Capt. Harry Copp James, brought in the cruiser USS Chester (later York) to Ship Island with President Wilson board. By wife Leila Ogden Malone of Mobile and Galveston, they are my great grandparents. Jim, of Soutport, North Carolina. I was a civilian 12-4 watch, O/S helmsmen aboard the USNS Corpus Christi Bay out of New Orleans to watch French A-bombs in the South Pacific. Great, great grandfather, Robert Wm. James, born Wilmington, N.C., 1811, died Biloxi 1882, was civilian master of the Army transport "Gen. Hamer" out of New Orleans in the Mexican War. Earlier he had walked across Panama, perhaps on his way to Sn Francisco? Wilmington kinsmen "Lt." Thomas Cowan James was hung Havana Castle, Cuba, in the "filibustering" invasion.

Re: War Trophy Room, Whitehall, England

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 5:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nixon
I was in Maguiresbridge three years ago. My Warnock ancestor came from there to Canada 160 years ago. It is still a very small town and chances are someone would know something about your ancestor. There may still be related Nixons there.

Ron Dale
per page

Find a board about a specific topic