Search for content in message boards

Mims Chapel Community

Mims Chapel

Don McLatchie (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GOOLSBY, McCAIN, MIMS, NASH, TAYLOR
MIMS CHAPEL is on Farm Road 729 on a tributary of Alley's Creek a mile north of Lake-O-The-Pines, 16 miles northwest of Jefferson, Texas. Names for John W. & Henry MIMS, pioneers in the area and instrumental in securing the lot for the church. This community has gone under the names of "Alley's Creek", "Nash's Foundry", "Texas Iron Works", "Mims Store" and "Amicus." The NASH Foundry was built by Jefferson S. NASH. The Amicus post office [and store] was run by the E. O. TAYLOR family. J. W. SIMS was justice of the peace in the 1890's. Mims Chapel Methodist Church is still active.

Avinger is an active community north of the western end of Lake-O-the-Pines at the intersection of highways 155 and 49.

The Marriage Books of Marion County has an entry for Eliza GOOLSBY who married Robert McCAIN on 3 January 1861.

If you can provide given names to the others on your list, let me know and I will check for them.

Don McLatchie, President
Marion County Genealogical Society

Mims Chapel Community

Posted: 21 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2001 4:14AM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, YANCEY, McCAIN, GOOLSBY, JOHNSON, McNIEL, LEMMONS, LEMONS
Would like to know where MIMS CHAPEL COMMUNITY was located and where is Avinger, Texas? Have many family ties to those area's in the late 1800s, but not quite sure where to look.

Mims Chapel Community

Posted: 22 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Don:
Thank you so much! Between family history and readings on those communities that included my family names, I had gotten to the point where I just did not know where they heck they were referring to.

I descend from John K. (J.K.) Brown who entered the Marion Co. area about 1872. He was a fugitive from Georgia. He was married to Martha Yancey (his second wife). Martha's father John Yancey settled in Smith Co., Texas in the same time frame. I am pretty confident that John Yancey left Georgia with his family and Martha and the children of John K. Brown because of the murder John K. Brown was involved in. I am thinking John K. met up with them there in Texas after he fled Georgia in July of 1869. Part of the property that Land O-the Lakes represents once belonged to the John K. Brown estate.

John and Martha's son John James Brown married Leta Johnson. Leta was the twin daughter of M.M. Johnson and Remaliah Cotton. M.M. Johnson was the son of Isaac H. Johnson. Looking for further information on them and the Johnsons.

Another son of John K. and Martha Brown was Daniel "Kenneth" Brown (b.September 01, 1872) who married Maude Etta McNiel (b.August 24, 1887). Maude was the daughter of James M. McNiel and Zada Doyle.

One daughter Ona Brown was the second wife of Preacher James McCain. Not much is known on them except they married in 1901 in Mims Chapel. James first wife was Georgia Nash who died giving birth to their one and only child Robert D. (Dee) McCain. Georgia was daughter of Dr. J.V. Nash and Molly Beck Nash Knight. James McCain was the son of Robert McCain (b. 1832) and Eliza Goolsby.

Eliza Goolsby died in 1895 and Robert McCain remarried to a woman who was a widow of a LEMMON. Mrs. Lemmon also had an unmarried crippled daughter named Mamie that came to live with them as well. I am trying to connect this Robert McCain to the same one who married my 2nd great grandmother Harriet Ann Elender Bard (Baird) in 1895, who was married to Thomas Perry Lemmons (Lemons). Thomas Lemmons died October 11, 1892 (where I don't know) and in my Lemons Family bible a marriage is then recorded for Harriet as marrying a Robert McCain on August 11, 1895. Atleast that is what the date looks like. Since I have seen reference to the above Robert McCain marrying a widow Lemmon in 1895 and I have even seen a photo of her and her daughter Mamie (who both resemble my family members) I am thinking they are one in the same. Can you find a marriage record for Robert McCain and his second wife in 1895?

Okay another daughter of John K. Brown and Martha is my great grandmother Ora Brown (not to be confused with ONA) who married Samuel Ezell Lemmons September 21, 1895 (Sam was son of Thomas Perry Lemmons and Harriet Bard (Baird).) Ora was found dead on the Cypress Bayou river bank near the Welch bridge in Jefferson on Feb 11, 1940. Family always said she was murdered and I am looking for information on that, such as a newspaper article.

Anything you could help me with on any of those names and people would be greatly appreciated.

I have not been able to find the location where Thomas Perry Lemmons lived and died, but I am thinking it was somewhere in Marion Co.

Angela

looking for Mims McNeil

Posted: 20 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jan 2002 4:16PM GMT
Surnames: Mims, McNeil
looking for Catherine Mims M/d Benjamin McNeil Where? They had one known Dau. Ella Frances McNeil Born 1 aug 1862, at Desoto Parish, Mansfield, La. Ella Married James Henry Coppedge, 28 Dec. 1882 at Comanche Co. Tx. this Mims Chapel Marion Co. Tx. is not very far from Mansfield, La. and I have read info about during civil war of family's going over to texas to get out of war battles. Sure need info on my greatgrand parents Benjamin & Catherine "Mims" McNeil. My E-Mail is grandpajim@the-i.net. Jim Coppedge

RE: Marion County Relatives

Posted: 19 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Bob:
Thanks for the response. Recently was able to get a list of burials a Harris Chapel Cemetery, Cass Co., Texas, and Robert McCain and Eliza Goolsby are both buried there in Row 11. Robert did remarry Harriet Baird Lemmon after Eliza died but they did share a life together so can only assume that is why he is buried with her. They have a large burial monument together. I have not been able to locate a burial location for Harriet. Robert and Eliza were married January 30, 1861 in Jefferson, Marion Co., TX and had these children: Sara Catherine McCain (b. 1865); John Newton McCain (b. 1869); Mattie Bell McCain (b. 1872); James Nash McCain (b. 1875); Robert Porter McCain (b. 1878); Margaret Louella McCain (b. aft 1880) and Pruseannie Elizabeth McCain (b. aft 1880).

The son Rev. James McCain first married Georgia Nash and she died giving birth to their first and only child Robert D. McCain in 1898. James later married Ona Brown in 1901. Ona Brown was the daughter of John K. Brown and Martha Yancey. I descend from John K. Brown and Martha's daughter Ora C. Brown.

There are a lot of Goolsby's buried at the Harris Chapel Cemetery. John T. Goolsby and Margaret Love Goolsby are buried there as well. There were other's most likely children of John and Margaret, but I don't have enough data yet to prove that. Can't find the list right now, but if you would like the names let me know and I will try to find it.

Thanks for the book mention, I will try to locate one.

Angela

Marion County Relatives

Posted: 19 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2002 1:29AM GMT
Surnames: Goolsby, Mims, Witt, Rogers
Eliza Goolsby born 1838 Jasper County Georgia, died 1895 was
the daughter of John T. Goolsby and Margaret Love. She was married to Robert McCain, but I do not know if they had any children. I have not been able to find where either are buried. I am not sure but I think a lot of your family are in the book "Jefferson: Riverport to the Southwest.

Re: Marion County Relatives

David McCain (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2001 6:53PM GMT
I just ran across your message regarding Robert McCain and Eliza Goolsby. They were my great grandparents, and had several children, one Robert Porter McCain, my grandfather. I'll bet you already have gotten this information, but if not: Robert and Eliza are buried at Harris Chapel Cemetary (Cass County) near Lone Star, Texas.

Posted: 11 Oct 2001 9:57PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2002 12:29AM GMT
David:
Yes I did find where they are buried. Found it a little strange that Robert is buried with Eliza, since he remarried my great grandmother after Eliza's death, but he is. My Great grandmother is not buried there and I have not located her burial location. Her name was Harriet Ann Bard Lemmon, she was 20 years younger then Robert. Her first husband was Thomas Perry Lemmon (my great grandfather), I have not located his burial location either, so perhaps Harriet and Thomas are buried at the same place.

I would appreciated your lineage from Robert Porter McCain and Irene Lula Price, if you don't mind sharing.

David McCain (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2001 11:26PM GMT
I don't have that together, but that is a project of mine. I'll be glad to share it with you when I'm done, which probably won't be too long.

Posted: 12 Oct 2001 3:09PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2002 12:29AM GMT
Okay David, Just keep me in mind.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions