Search for content in message boards

Samuel Rochester

Samuel Rochester

Posted: 21 Jul 2002 1:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rochester
Correction: My Great Grandfather was not likely born in Ohio but was possible born in New York or Maryland of Va or the Carolinas, in 1843-1845. He was a run-away and went to Ohio in time to inlist in the Ohio infantry in 1864, surrvived the Cival War with two seperate wounds. Married M. Perry in 1869. Lived out his years in Oak Harbor, Ohio. Died 1925.

Re: Samuel Rochester

Posted: 23 Jul 2002 7:51AM GMT
There is a Samuel Rochester in Pickens Co., SC age 3 in 1850. His father is Robert from Delaware, mother, Mary; brothers and sisters, Emma and Thomas. There was also a James B Young living with the family. I am unable to find this family in later years.

Posted: 12 Feb 2003 3:49PM GMT
Gene,

I am new to this website. My name was Eugenia Rochester, now Ndiaye. My father's name is Eugene Rochester. His father was Frank A. Rochester, Sr. born in Barcley, MD in 1907. He had four brothers; Ed, Fred, Willard, Raymond TIller (1/2 brother) and two sisters Elizabeth and Nettie.His (Frank,Sr.) wife was Eliza Branch Rochester. They lived in Westwood, NJ and had seven children.

I've been reading some of the messages on the board and am wondering if we aren't all connected in some way given the geograhical areas involved (where people were born, migrated to, etc.). Have you ever heard of any of the people that I've mentioned above ?

Gene Rochester (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2003 1:28AM GMT
Eugenia

Nicholas Rochester came to the US prior to the revolutionary war. One of his descendents moved to NC. From there, one of the sons moved north to NY. This was Nathaniel, called the founder of NY. One descendent went to SC (Nicholas). He is my direct ancestor. Somewhere in the group, some ended up in the Maryland area, and others in Kentucky. To the best of my knowledge, there was very little intermixing of the groups. Of course to complicate this, more Rochesters eventually migrated to the US.

There are several references around for the different Rochester groups. I try to limit my research to the descendents of Nicholas of Union County, SC. I can round up some of the references if you are interested.

Gene R

p.s. I do not recognize the names that you listed.

Posted: 13 Feb 2003 8:25PM GMT
Gene:

Thank you for responding so quickly. I wasn't expected a reply until "who knows when". In any event, I appreciate you sharing the information regarding Nicholas. Again, I am finding this more and more interesting.

Based on what you said about Nathaniel, is he the reason that "Rochester" New York is named that ?

My uncle (Lorenzo Rochester) and I have often discussed tracing back our lineage, however, it never came to fruition.

I would be really grateful for any references that you could provide to help my uncle and I start our search.

It's been a real pleasure. Thank you.

Eugenia

Rochester References

Posted: 16 Feb 2003 10:10PM GMT
For Southern Rochesters:

ROCHESTER FAMILY HISTORY by Anne Sheriff
988 Old Sherley Rd
Central, SC 29630
self published

ROCHESTERS AND THEIR DESCENDENTS FROM THE CAROLINAS by (me) Eugene W. Rochester, Jr.
self published
1243 Stillwater Drive
Seneca, SC 29672

More general:

ROCHESTER DESCENDENTS IN AMERICA 1986. by Sylvia Rochester Drummond (probably out of print, I have a copy)

DODSON FAMILY OF NORTH FARNHAM PARISH, RICHMOND CO., VA. Vol 2 ch. 7 "Rochester, Pyles, and Allied Lines of the Publisher" Southern Historical Press P.O. Box 1267 Greenville, SC 29602 phone 864-233-2346

Maybe someone else can add some more references.

Posted: 16 Jul 2003 4:22AM GMT
The Samuel Rochester that you speak of was also my daughter's great-grandfather. My daughter is the grandaughter of Howard Rochester. There are a group of the same Rochester's in and around Tiffin, OH.

Posted: 4 Jan 2010 11:48PM GMT
Larry
The Samuel Rochester that you speak of that died in Oak Harbor, Ohio is my great-great grandfather. He did come from New York state. He had a son Samuel, who had a son Silus, who had a son James who is my father. This original Samuel has a living grandson by the Name of Norman Rochester. Norman's father was August Rochester ( one of Samuel's and Meriah Perry's children) from Oak Harbor, PA. Norman recounts that "Old Sam" and several of his family came to the Oak Harbor area in the 1800's from New York state. After several years, some of them returned back to New York, but old Sam stayed and settled in the Oak Harbor Ohio area. My father Jim Rochester of Fostoria Ohio has recently been in contact with Norman (who is in a nursing home) and has been recording his oral history. Much of the trail for this family seems to die out with old Sam and Mariah in Oak Harbor.

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 6:54AM GMT
Hello,
I have been trying to look up my family tree. My Father was from the Nicholas branch. His name was curan Rochester. His sister was Zura Rochester and we went to see her and Uncle Sam when I was a kid. They lived in Eugene Oregon at the time.
His Father was Fernando Rochester and his grandfather was Daniel L Rochester.
My father was raised in NC
Please let me know any information you may have.

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 1:39PM GMT
Not sure what you are looking for. I do have some information. Also, Spicy Rochester Crain lived in Cashiers, NC. Her mother was part of the family, She is still living and is in the Greensboro, NC area. Give me a call if you want to discuss this 864-654-8380. Gene Rochester
per page

Find a board about a specific topic