Search for content in message boards

Occupation "Gentleman" on UK Marriage Records

Occupation "Gentleman" on UK Marriage Records

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 8:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have come across a few Marriage Records where the bride or groom's father's occupation was listed as either Gentleman or A Gent. In none of these cases was the person a Gentleman in an upperclass sense of the word. Can anyone offer a learned explanation?

Re: Occupation "Gentleman" on UK Marriage Records

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 12:20AM GMT
Gentleman usually meant someone who didn't have to work for a living. They didn't have to be upper class, just have enough income not to have to work. It was sometimes used by men who'd retired from a profession or who'd done well in trade.

I have an ancestor who migrated, and on his trip home upon retirement it says Gentleman in the occupation column of the passenger list. Before retirement he ran a baker's shop and his father had been an ag lab.

Re: Occupation "Gentleman" on UK Marriage Records

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 10:50AM GMT
Thank you thank you thank you for this post and answer. I have came across an ancestor of mine who was a gentleman. I tried to google it very page had something different to say. One even gave up to four meanings.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions