Search for content in message boards

Ravenswood Plantation +Capt. Henry Custis (abt 1659-abt 1708)

Ravenswood Plantation +Capt. Henry Custis (abt 1659-abt 1708)

Posted: 19 Sep 2011 12:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Custis & Revell
I am a descendant of Capt Henry Custis (abt 1759-abt 1708) & his wife Rachel Revell (abt 1663-abt 1720). They founded Ravenswood Plantation on 975 acres in the area of Custis Neck, Accomack Co., VA.

Does anyone know exactly where this property was located & if a cemetery exists for this family.

Please reply directly. I can share data.

John Bierman
Dayton, OH
john_bierman@att.net

Re: Ravenswood Plantation +Capt. Henry Custis (abt 1659-abt 1708)

Posted: 7 Dec 2011 5:22PM GMT
Yes, the plantation house is still on the original 975 acres and is located about 10 minutes outside of Accomack, Va. My understanding is the grave yard is still there, but only one head stone remains. I intend to contact the current oweners to access the graveyard and possibly see at restoring it. Capt. Henry Custis was my Great Grand-------Father. I have a large amount of information on the family if you would like any information

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 9:54PM GMT
I am descended from Henry Custis and am very interested in any information you have on this line of the Custis family. I will be visiting the Accomack area in September and would be interested in directions to the plantation, Do you have a contact number for the current owners and are they agreeable to letting Custis descendants view the house, grounds and graveyard? Diane Harris

Posted: 16 Aug 2012 4:26PM GMT
Diane,

I have visited the Plantation in the last year and the original home is still in good condition. I was able to drive up to the home, but no one was at home at that time.
The current owner is William Valentine, 757-787-1253. I tried various times to reach him by phone and was unable to do so. The grave yard is still there according to local records with one grave stone marked Custis. I would also love to visit and tour the plantation if Mr Valentine would allow me to do so. I have visited Accomack Court House and found Captain John Custis (my GGGG Grandfather) original will. If you have any specific questions regarding the family you can call me at 757-348-3184.

Best Regards,

David

Posted: 17 Aug 2012 8:56AM GMT
I thought the plantation was called Arlington. The graves are on this property. I have tryed to visit and never been able to go down the drive to this home. Always chained off.
Located in the Capeville area. Do bot know who ownes this property. Sorry I can't give anymore information. Thanks

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 2:05PM GMT
The Arlington Plantation was in Northampton Co., VA & was located on the west coast of the Eastern Shore. It is the site of the small graveyard called "The Custis Tombs." This graveyard is now in a residential neighborhood, but you should be able to park on the street & walk up to it. This side of the family was most famous because Daniel Custis married Martha Dandridge, who later married George Washington.
Ravenswood Plantation was on the east coast of Accomack Co., VA (one county to the north of Northampton), and was the home of a different branch of the Custis family.
I am descended from this second branch & can share data via my direct email below.

John Bierman
Dayton, OH
john_bierman@att.net

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 1:05PM GMT
Dear David,

I am a descendant of Henry Custis of Ravenwood Plantation & would enjoy sharing data with you. Please write to me directly at the email address below.

John Bierman
Dayton, OH
john_bierman@att.net

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 1:33PM GMT
I found this article while looking through news papers on Genealogy Bank. Might help in some way for your search.

Pay attention to names---Newspaper June 2,1908 Richmond---This is Richmond ,Virginia Brockenbrough died May 31,1908 at the family home, Ravenwood. Mrs Jane Bayley Higgingbotham Brockenbrough widow of James Cabell Brockenbrough and Jane A Higginbotham. Funeral from Gr?(can't read what I wrote) Episcopal Church this Tuesday, afternoon June 2nd at 4 O'clock. I am pretty sure this was Jane Addison who Married Thomas Montegal or Thomas Henry Bayly. I am in the Bayly line. Let me know if you can use this information. Gale
per page

Find a board about a specific topic