Search for content in message boards

History of the Davenport name

History of the Davenport name

Posted: 24 Oct 2004 9:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davenports
I recently came across a book of 'County Families of Lancashire and Cheshire' printed around 1820. It has about 30 pages of information concerning the Davenport family, including the various stories of how we aquired our coat of arms. Aparently there is a proverbial saying in Cheshire that goes "In cheshire there are Leighs as plenty as flees, and as many Davenports as dogs tails." I would like to share this information and wondered if there was a web site where the pages could be posted.
Anyway if anyone has any ideas or are interested please let me know.

Re: History of the Davenport name

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 1:16PM GMT
Iain, I would love to see the pages you mentioned . I am from the Humphrey Davenport line that first came to the US around 1684 and ultimately settling in the Northern New Jersey area. Many generations of his ancestors lived in Chesire including numerous with first names of John , William , Thomas , Robert as well as Roger , Vivian & Ormus . Maiden names of their spouses included Leigh/ Legh , Warren , Collinson , Booth , Bromall , Fitton , Venables and others . Could you let me know how I could access the 30 pages you mentioned ? Thanks,
Robert Davenport

Iain Davenport (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2004 5:52PM GMT
Surnames: Davenport
The pages are not as yet in a digital format. However I can scan them in this week and save them in an Adobe Acrobat Format. Depending on the size I may have to split the file into batches. Even so they may be too big to mail, so I could put them on my .mac account and send you an invitation to download them from there.

If this will work for you I will post a message when the files are ready - so watch this space. I am certain you will find it an interesting read as many of the names you mention are listed.

Untill then...

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 7:22PM GMT
Ok Iain , thanks . If you e-mail them , my address is rrd73@optonline.net . If you prefer postal mail send me a note at the above e-mail and I will provide my mailing address .
Robert Davenport

Janet Morgan Brown (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2004 2:37PM GMT
Surnames: Morgan Davenport
Lain, I would love to see these papers also. If you have seen my postings our family had the DNA testing on my brother who is a Morgan and when the test came back it was a perfect DNA match for several Davenport lines. A couple of really nice men who are Davenports have been helping me with figuring out when this actually took place. Tentively they think that it most likely happened during the 1300 in Cheshire. Maybe those documents that you have could give me a little clue. If you could either post them or send them via email I would greatly appreciate it. MY email is morgan52@earthlink.net. Thanks again. Janet

Posted: 27 Oct 2004 7:29AM GMT
This weekend I will create a PDF document of the pages and will upload them to my .mac account. Once this is completed I will e-mail an invitation to download the file from my shared files.

Posted: 3 Nov 2004 6:15AM GMT
Surnames: Martin, Davenport
Id be very interested in looking at those pages as well. My Davenport line left Liverpool for New York in 1856 and had settled in Cheboygan Co, MI by 1870.

Posted: 3 Nov 2004 7:01AM GMT
I would be more than happy to provide you with the information. If you send me your e-mail address I will forward you a link where you can download the information in a PDF format.

Posted: 3 Nov 2004 7:03AM GMT

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 8:04AM GMT
I'd appreciate it if I could see this Davenport information, too. I'm a Davenport by birth and my Davenport's were of the Pamunkey Neck in Virginia in the 1600's. More recently (late 1700's) many Davenports migrated to Georgia, which is where I was born.

My email address is: georgiapeach8554@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions