Search for content in message boards

Taylor Families in Early 1800’s Georgia

Taylor Families in Early 1800’s Georgia

Posted: 2 Jul 2012 2:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Taylor, King
I am searching for information on my ggg grandmother Elizabeth Taylor and her son Simeon Taylor born about 1812 in GA. They may be related to James H. Taylor.

These Taylors have presented a challenge to several researchers over the past dozen years. I hope that greater detail will enable someone to contribute suggestions or draw conclusions that escape me. If any of these names ring a bell, please read the story below. It will become clear as to why I would like to find Simeon Taylor. It is a long story, but hopefully it will contain some clues.

My gg grandfather was Thomas Jefferson King, born 20 Aug 1824 in Green County, GA to Drury King and Elizabeth Taylor King (his second wife). Unfortunately, Drury died in June 1833 leaving Martha Taylor (his third wife), T J King, and seven other children, but Drury was kind enough to leave a will which listed all of his living children. The known wives (from Greene County records) and children were:

Unknown Wife:
Lucinda King (about 1811 – after 1870)
Charles Ezekiel King (4 Apr 1818 – 25 Apr 1895)
Josiah King (about 1819 – after 1880)
Betsy Ann King (about 1820 – after 1833)

Elizabeth Taylor: married 2 Jul 1823 in Greene County, GA
Thomas Jefferson King (20 Aug 1824 – 17 Jan 1889)
Harriett Ann King (about 1826 – after 1833)
Elizabeth King (about 1827 – after 1833)
Mary Adalaide King (about 1829 – after 1880)

Martha Taylor: married 11 Apr 1830 in Greene County, GA
(don’t know if the wives were related)
William John Henry King (Sep 1831 – 25 Mar 1922)

After Drury’s death, the minor children were placed in the homes of their relatives. I’ll skip the details of the protracted court proceedings, but thanks to some essential research by Patty Miller and Allan Rowe we can see how the courts assigned guardians:

• Martha King (Drury’s third wife) was named guardian of her son William John Henry with a bond from James H. Taylor. (Drury King named James H Taylor along with Ezekiel to be the executor of his will.)

• Charles Ezekiel and Josiah were over 14 years of age and selected a James H. Taylor as their guardian.

• James Grimes, the husband of Lucinda King (Drury’s oldest daughter), was initially named guardian of Betsy Ann, Thomas Jefferson, and Mary Adalaide. (Six months prior to Drury’s death, a James H. Taylor performed the marriage ceremony for James Grimes and Lucinda King.)

• Later, Simeon Taylor requested that he “be named guardian of half-brother and half-sister” Thomas Jefferson and Mary Adalaide, and the court so ordered. Several years later this order was challenged by Charles Ezekiel King, but it appears that at least Thomas Jefferson remained with Simeon Taylor until he married in 1849.

• No references were found for the guardianship of Harriett and Elizabeth.

Since Simon Taylor stated that he was the half-brother of Thomas Jefferson and Mary Adalaide, it appears that Elizabeth Taylor was the mother of all three. This would probably imply that Taylor is her first husband’s name rather than a maiden name. (OK, both her maiden name and married name could have been Taylor!) So, this is the motivation for my search for Simeon Taylor and possibly James H. Taylor. While I can find no information on Elizabeth or Martha Taylor, there are two possible census reports for James H. Taylor and two probably census reports for Simeon Taylor.

There is an 1830 Greene, GA report that shows a James H Taylor age 70 to 79 along with a female age 60 to 69, a male 30 to 39, and a female 20 to 29. This James H Taylor lived relatively near Drury King. By 1840 there are two J H Taylor families, one of whom has a male 70 -79 and both have several small children. Of course, without names it is difficult to tell which is of interest to us.

As for Simeon Taylor, most of what we know is circumstantial. A Simeon Taylor married Elizabeth Ann Carr in Greene, GA on 5 Jan 1832. In 1840 they appear to be living in Taliaferro County, Georgia (which is where Richard King, Drury’s father lived) with Thomas Jefferson King (male 15 – 19) in the household.

By 1844 the Simeon and Elizabeth Taylor family had moved to Alabama. The family appears on the 1850 census for Pickens County, AL as:

Simeon born about 1812 GA
Elizabeth born about 1815 GA

Thomas born about 1835 GA
William born about 1838 GA
Francis born about 1841 GA
Mary born about 1844 AL
Martha born about 1847 AL
Henrietta born about 1850 AL

My gg grandparents, Thomas Jefferson King and Elizabeth Green Wilson married on 19 Apr 1849 in Pickens County, AL. By 1850 they were living on their own with a baby; therefore, T J King was not listed in the Simeon Taylor household.

Since Simeon is a relatively unusual name, you might think locating him and his parents would be relatively easy. However, after countless hours of research he remains a mystery. If anyone recognizes Drury’s wives - Elizabeth and Martha Taylor, Thomas Jefferson King’s half-brother - Simeon Taylor, or Drury’s executor - James H Taylor, please contact me.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story! Any information, advice, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Wayne Whistler

Drury King to Thomas Jefferson King to Peter Wilson King, to Walter Grant King to Mary King to Me

Re: Taylor Families in Early 1800’s Georgia

Posted: 21 Sep 2012 10:19PM GMT
We share common ancestry from Drury King. I have geneology of the Kings which was gathered by my cousin Tommy King, son of Charles King. My great-grandfather was Charles Ezekiel and my grandfather was Beauregard King, born in 1863. I will have to look in the geneology records for the Taylors this weekend. Our family (Charles Ezekiel King's family) resided around West Point, GA during the Civil War and there is a very interesting story there about Ezekiel's service in the Battle of Atlanta. Beauregard's family lived around the Durand,Manchester and Pine Mountain area of Georgia. I was raised in Pine Mountain (formerly Chipley, GA).
Raymond Richard King.

Re: Taylor Families in Early 1800’s Georgia

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 4:37PM GMT
My ancestor is Mary (Polly) Taylor born c 1790 and according to later census, born in Virginia. She married Benjamin Dickson in 1808 in Hancock County. That is where I am stuck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions