Search for content in message boards

Shaw Creek School, Nitinat Camp, Sept.15,1948

Shaw Creek School, Nitinat Camp, Sept.15,1948

Posted: 23 Feb 2002 1:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Aug 2003 2:42AM GMT
Looking for anyone who has photo of same. Would like info on who's in photo or where to find that info out. Would somebody have a list of names for students in that year.
Thank You.
Gerri Pont

Re: Shaw Creek School, Nitinat Camp, Sept.15,1948

Posted: 11 Mar 2002 5:23AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2004 8:42PM GMT
Perhaps I can be of some help as I know some of the history of the area schools including Shaw Creek School at Nitinat. If you wish, I can try to contact a local senior citizen, a woman, who for many years taught at the school up until June 1972 and ask if she has a photo of the school. I am a local historian of the Cowichan Lake area so will also check at the local Kaatza Station museum to see if they possess a photo of the school or of the classes.

I can tell you that the student/class registers are no longer in existance as they are reported to have been lost many years ago. Is there a particular name you are searching for as I may be able to help you in that area as well? I do know that the school operated from 1937-1949. I have a written (very discriptive) history of the school but very little is written about it prior to 1957, when the name was changed to Nitinat School.

If you wish me to persue the information further please contact me at my email address at roljak@shaw.ca

Good Luck,
Raleigh

Posted: 11 Mar 2002 5:31AM GMT
Your in luck!
As a followup to my first message re Shaw Creek school. I have just checked and found that in a copy I have of a local history book, there is - would you believe - a picture of a class titled "Shaw Creek school children Nitinat Camp 1948"! The children are not identified so I will attempt to identify them somehow if at all possible. There are 26 children and a teacher in a very clear photo!

Raleigh

Posted: 12 Mar 2002 7:43PM GMT
Hi Gerrie,

I found a bit more information regarding the picture but my last message sent to you was returned (to me) yesterday reason: "invalid recipient". The email address on the last message you sent me (and which I used to reply) that was returned was williiep@mts.net

I managed to find your original Rootsweb posting again (although I had forgotten where I'd first first found it) so will try this one which has your address as williep@mts.net (apparently an extra letter "i" is in the other address????). Anyway, let me know what your correct address is as I have identified a few more faces and found I have a 1949 voters list that includes about 125 individuals names for the Shaw Creek-Nitinat polling division which may help with adult names who lived there around the time you are looking.

Hope to hear back from you re the correct address.

Raleigh

Re: Shaw Creek School

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 10:56PM GMT
Do you happen to have a phone number for Shaw creek School? I am assuming it is the only school at Nitinat lake? Thank you. Please email it to me at thomas@thomascarver.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions