Search for content in message boards

Loft or Soft Brook? Indian heritage.

Loft or Soft Brook? Indian heritage.

Posted: 28 Dec 2003 11:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Aug 2005 11:14AM GMT
Probably a long shot, but here goes: In my family papers I find that John Senecal married (1881?) Mary Loft or Mary Soft Brook. The name appears both ways. I find Loft researchers in the Hastings area (Tyendinaga)listed as Indigenous and thought there may be a connection. I'm not sure where they married but the did later live on Grenadier Island, Ontario. They had three children, May, Ethel and John.
The elder John Senecal died when his boat, the Catherine went down near Alexandria Bay in 1890.
I haven't found access to the 1890 Ontario Census to see if Mary was listed. To further confuse the issue, she was living with John and his three children from a previous marriage (to Mary Miller) and her nationality was listed as French.
Any one researching any of these names? Thanks in advance for any help!
Gloria.

Re: Loft or Soft Brook? Indian heritage.

Posted: 20 Oct 2010 5:08PM GMT
Here is an even longer shot: I am trying to trace the origins of a certain Mary Loft, who married the SENECA chief John Hill at the Grand River. She is said to have come from Deseronto, white by birth but adopted and raised by a Tyendinaga family. I would guess she was born about 1836.

Posted: 20 Oct 2010 5:24PM GMT
I will have to look up some additional information and add to this reply. My Mary Loft or Mary Soft Brokk has been listed as both. I believe she was married before her second marriage to a Senecal.
I will try to find more information.

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 1:48AM GMT
I have a Mary Loft born Mar 16 1841 who is Mohawk born in Tyendinga. She married Henry Hill 1840. They Had 2 sons Thomas born 1876 and Josiah born 1874.Look in the 1901 census for Mary - she will pop right up.

Hope this helps

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 9:43AM GMT
Sorry it took so long to reply, I don't think there is a connection, but this is my dead end. If this is the same "Mary" I find no information of her second marriage to John Senecal. Thanks for the information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions