Snippets from "Guide to Fauquier" by Scheel, which may or may not be the places you are asking about.
Back on Winchester St. on N and to W. No 71. the Italianate frame Charles F. Payne House with rich bracketed cornice. Built for Payne by John R. Spilman in 1870. Side wing to E added 1907. Res. of Maj. R. Taylor Scott. quartermaster of Pickett's Brigade and Atty. Gen. of Va. 1889-1897. Across st to W, No 84. smaller frame bldg built for Dr. F. Hornerâ€™s office about 1830. Brick chimney at E separated from home for fire protection. Across st to W, No 101, set back from rd. two-wing. frame Conway Grove with both gabled and gambreled (to E) roof lines. Pyramid-roof brick smoke & meathouse to W. Built for Dr. James Westwood Wallace, physician to Pres. Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. ca. 1820. Name given to house in 1856 by John Spilman. Jr., in honor of his bride. Eliz. Conway. Fashionable boarding house after war. At SW corner Chestnut St. No 116. L-shaped clapboard Luther Chamberlin House, Colonial Revival, built 1912 by John Brawner. About 200 ft to W. No 40, finely proportioned stuccoed-brick 1790 home remodeled 1890 by Albert Fletcher with fan-lit windows & matching door.
To W. 200 ft. No 158, Paradise, sheltered by huge evergreen & shade trees. Rambling frame home built 1758 by Martin Pickett. who served in Fr. & Indian War and Revolution, and represented county in State Conventions of 1776, 1787. Named for lovely view, though called Bleak Hill after war because of ruin brought about by Federal troops. Past curve, No 182, the Hilleary House, a late Gatsby masonry mansion with decked hip-roof, built 1939 for R. A. Hilleary by A. Milton Grigg & B. L. Grant.
GOLD COUNTRY: MORRISVILLE, GOLDVEIN, SUMMERDUCK
North on Rt 651 to small stuccoed home of ca. 1890 on W (left) at .85 mi, last survivor of village of Whitetown. Old rd to S leads to traces of mill town of Wheatley, P.O. 1828.1866. Before War, George T. Wheatley. who ran the town, would constantly feud with John P. Kelly, who ran town of Kellysville on Culpeper side of river. When the two men met, they would come to blows, and Wheatley would generally get the best of it. They were the law, but Kelly did have to take a case to circuit court one timeâ€”when Wheatley, upstream from Kelly, turned most of the Rappahannock waters through his mill race so Kellyâ€™s mill wheels couldnâ€™t turn.
North .9 mi to stone Chestnut Lawn on E. Lengthy plaque by rd notes home built 1832 for Capt. James Payne by Thomas Skinkerâ€™s slaves, the same workmen who built Grove Church a year later. Date stone: â€œHAN 1832â€ honoring master mason Hannibal. N .3 mi, Rt 668. Morgansburg Rd. to E, leads to the Indian Pulpit, about .6 mi; 500 ft to S (right) across Marsh Run. Thumb-like rock formation called Peter Pocum's Pulpit in grant of 1719. Oldtimers tell of Indian ceremonies held at site. N .7 mi to 1952 U. S. Army communications center to N; scores of thin metal towers reaching hundreds of ft into sky.