Search for content in message boards

Lineage inquiry

Lineage inquiry

Posted: 29 May 2002 1:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Allison, Harris
I have copies of DAR applications that were made by distant relatives who have the same Revolutionary War Patriot ancestors that I have. However they trace their lineage back to my Patriot ancestors through other children, grandchildren, etc. of the ancestor than I do. Can I make an inquiry to find out if someone has applied for DAR membership with a lineage that is close to my lineage? If you will answer an inquiry of that type, may I also ask about getting any copies of proofs?

Thank you.

Mary Allison Yonan

Re: Lineage inquiry

Ann (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2002 3:11AM GMT
Surnames: Lineage inquiry
Dear Mary,

It's great to have the other copies of DAR papers. They can help lead you to looking for proofs that you might be missing from your line down. I am not really aware of any way for you to get papers that would be your line down from either the patriot or his/her children or grandchildren. (I will check tomorrow further on this to be sure I am not typing out of turn.) To my knowledge most of the later applications have all their references to the proofs. As for the older applications I can not speak. It might be more limited. When someone looks at my application I believe they will only find what proofs I used. They would not receive a copy of each proof I used. Again I will be checking with someone tomorrow about this so that I make sure I have given you a proper answer.

Sincerely,

Ann VIS Volunteer

“This is a free look up service provided
by DAR volunteers at the DAR message board"

Posted: 3 Nov 2002 2:30AM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2002 4:49AM GMT
Dear Ann,
I would also be interested in finding out the answer to the previous question about what proof was used to etablish lineage.

Ann (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2002 9:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Nov 2002 7:27AM GMT
Dear Mary,

You can ask for the record copy through the child of the Patriot. If there is any that were proven through that generation, you would ask for that application paper. All the proofs for each member's papers that were sent are listed there on the application paper. So it is important that you send for a proven application paper.

The DAR Library offers two options for search by mail requests. Please include your membership number, if you have one, on the correspondence. If your request is related to pending material, please mark "pending application" or "pending supplemental" on the top of the page. All requests must be in writing, and accompanied by a check made payable to: Treasurer General, NSDAR
All fees are for the service of searching and are non-refundable. They cannot guarantee that they will find material.

Photocopy Service
The Photocopying Service includes making photocopies of content from books and magazines within the limits of copyright law, and photocopying from microfilm and microfiche in the Seimes Microfilm Center. Fee for NSDAR members is $10.00 per request, includes ten pages.
Fee for nonmembers is $15.00 per request, includes ten pages. For books/magazines, you will be billed for any pages over ten @ $0.30/page plus $2.00 postage.
For microfilms/fiches, you will be billed for any copies over ten @ $0.50/copy plus $2.00 postage. Limit of two books/magazines or two microfilms/fiches per request.

Search Service
The Search Service entails locating and copying material in Documentation Files, which are arranged by name of Revolutionary War Patriot. The Library does NOT have a Documentation File for every Patriot in the DAR Patriot Index. To comply with state laws, they are not permitted to photocopy vital records from state health departments that may be found in our files, including birth, death, marriage, and divorce records.The Search Service includes locating information and copying from pertinent books, journals, manuscripts, or Microforms. The minimum request for a search is one hour; the maximum is four hours. There is a limit of two names per request.

Fee for NSDAR members is $30.00/hour.
Fee for nonmembers is $40.00/hour.

This fee includes ten pages of copies. You will be billed for any pages over ten @ $0.30/page plus $2.00 postage.

I hope this has helped you with your request.

If you should need any additional information or help please le me know.

Sincerely,

Ann VIS Volunteer

“This is a free look up service provided
by DAR volunteers at the DAR message board"

Mary Yonan (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2002 10:51PM GMT
Surnames: Allison, Harris
Thank you for your very clear, thorough and helpful reply.

Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic