Search for content in message boards

Upgrade from EasyTree 4.2?

Upgrade from EasyTree 4.2?

Posted: 4 Jan 2010 2:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi there,

I'm trying to help out a relative who does family trees - she really enjoys it, but has some old software (EasyTree 4.2) that won't run properly on Vista, which her new computer has.

So, I'm trying to find her a good package to upgrade to, but I want her to be able to convert the trees she's already done to the new package.

Family Tree Maker 2010 looks good - but I'm wondering if there's any way to save her old stuff.

Thanks, for any tips you can provide,

Chris

Re: Upgrade from EasyTree 4.2?

Posted: 6 Jan 2010 1:18PM GMT
Does she still have access to her data on the old computer? If so, she can make a GEDCOM which any program should be able to import. If not, how was she trying to transfer the data to the new computer?

Please check out RootsMagic which has a free 'Essentials' version (contains all the basics). If it suits her, the full package is reasonably priced and has more bells and whistles.

Posted: 6 Jan 2010 4:55PM GMT
Hi,

Thanks for your reply! We still have the data files from the old software, but the old software won't run.

Is there a utility we can run on the data files that will produce a GEDCOM (not sure what that is!) that can be imported by the new application?

Thanks again,

Chris

Posted: 9 Jan 2010 1:30PM GMT
The simple definition of GEDCOM is a data file that can be shared between genealogy programs. Fuller definition here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gedcom

So she does not have the old computer with the program? Unless you have some type of access to the program, data files are pretty useless. You can try finding someone with the program to convert it to a GEDCOM.

Posted: 11 Jan 2010 1:55PM GMT
Hi,

She doesn't have the old computer. Basically, her old box died and she bought a new one, and the people at the computer store got all her data (and programs) and loaded them on the new machine.

The old program is installed on her new computer, but it won't even allow you to open a data file at all...it's pretty old.

Chris

Posted: 11 Jan 2010 1:57PM GMT
Actually, one other question...if she had the old software, and I could load it for her on an XP machine and get her data files, do you know if that software would be capable of producing a GEDCOM file for export?

Posted: 11 May 2013 4:23AM GMT
The answer to that is yes; I hope that you've already been able to get this as I realize your questions were from some time ago.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic