Search for content in message boards

Edward Armstrong b.1812 Co. Tyrone, Ireland > Huntingdon Co. Quebec 1832 > Franklin Co. NY

Edward Armstrong b.1812 Co. Tyrone, Ireland > Huntingdon Co. Quebec 1832 > Franklin Co. NY

Posted: 5 Feb 2009 8:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ARMSTRONG, McFADDEN, McVEAY/McVEIGH, WILSON
I'm searching for any related families and descendants of Edward ARMSTRONG, born 1812 in Co. Tyrone, Ireland (probably Pomeroy parish or Donaghmore parish), emigrated to the "Irish Ridge" in Beauharnois/Huntingdon County, Quebec in 1832, married Margaret McFADDEN of Westville, New York, in 1839, and died in 1905 in Westville, Franklin Co., New York.

This Armstrong family is being researched by descendants Kevin Armstrong and Sheri Devan and others, and we're sharing data. I'm from another Armstrong line that is an exact DNA match for Edward's descendants. My Armstrong ancestors lived at Crosscavanagh townland, Pomeroy parish (formerly Donaghmore parish), Co. Tyrone, from at least the mid-1700s until the early 20th century. There are still many blanks that need filling in and connections that we'd like to prove.

Edward's father was Thomas Armstrong, according to grandson Arthur W. Armstrong's genealogical account of Edward's family. Other records give a father's name different from "Thomas," but I think Arthur was correct since he grew up spending a lot of time with his grandfather Edward Armstrong. Also, Edward Armstrong named his first son "Thomas" (very traditionally, I believe, for his own father in Ireland) and second son "William" for wife Margaret McFadden's father, William McFadden.

Edward Armstrong emigrated to the "Irish Ridge" area of Godmanchester, Huntingdon Co. (originally Beauharnois Co.), Quebec, in 1832, where he served briefly in the Huntingdon militia. He married Margaret McFadden of Westville, Franklin Co., New York, in 1839, daughter of William and Susan McFadden, also natives of Ireland.

Edward's friend Michael McVeigh/McVeay from the Dungannon area of Co. Tyrone, who had also settled at Godmanchester, married the McFadden's daughter Catherine/Katherine. Despite the fact that the McFadden girls eloped with their beaus, Michael McVeay and Edward Armstrong, against father William McFadden's wishes, the families repaired the social breach and remained close friends the rest of their lives.

One of Edward Armstrong's close relatives was David J. Armstrong (c. 1784-1862), a native of Pomeroy parish, Co. Tyrone, who came to Quebec while in the Royal Artillery, and brought wife Mary Ann and children to live on the Irish Ridge at Godmanchester in 1817. David Armstrong became a farmer and part-time Methodist preacher after his retirement from the military. He was a witness on Edward Armstrong's 1839 marriage and also on several of Edward's children's baptisms. Michael McVeay worked for David Armstrong upon first coming to Quebec and they too remained close friends. David lived the last years of his life with the McVeays and died at their home in Godmanchester, Huntingdon County, Quebec.

Edward Armstrong and wife Margaret McFadden lived in Canada for a short time before moving to Franklin County, New York, where they lived next to her father William McFadden for the remainder of their lives. Of their eleven children, the first two, Thomas and William, were born in Canada, and the others born at Westville, NY: David Wallis/Wallace Armstrong, Jane Ann, George Ward, Edward James, Francis John, Susan, Mary Jane, Lydia Margaret, and Samuel Wesley Armstrong.

The only known sibling of Edward Armstrong was his sister Ann/Anne ARMSTRONG. Edward's grandson, Arthur W. Armstrong, born 1874, recalled visits and correspondence between his grandfather and "Aunt Anne, grandfather's sister who married a man named Wilson and lived in Pennsylvania." It appears that Anne was still alive 1880-1890, when Arthur was a boy.

Anne Armstrong would have been born about 1790-1825 County Tyrone, married an unknown WILSON in Ireland or Pennsylvina, and was living in Pennsylvania 1880-1890 and probably several decades earlier. Anne's birth year is a wide estimate from brother Edward Armstrong being born in 1812 in Co. Tyrone; we don't know if Anne was older or younger.

Other DNA-proven relatives of Edward Armstrong were several Co. Tyrone natives who emigrated to Pittsburgh in the 1800s, including coal merchants, Charles H. Armstrong (c. 1820-1881), whose wife was Jane Dickson; and Frank/Francis Armstrong (1844-1902), who married Cora Ozier.

These Co. Tyrone Armstrongs were related to Haddens, Calvins/Colvins, Wilsons, Beattys, Irwins and many other Irish families who settled in Pennsylvania, Virginia/West Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, the Carolinas and Georgia from the early 1700s to late 1800s.

All these families, their children and grandchildren may have known each other and corresponded over the decades. Are any of these names -- McFadden, McVeigh/McVeay, Wilson, Dickson, Ozier, Hadden, Calvin/Colvin, Beatty, Irwin -- mentioned in your Armstrong ancestor's family?

Any further clues to Edward Armstrong's family and related families would be greatly appreciated. I'm always glad to share research notes.

Annie Crenshaw

John Fleming Northern Ireland

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 11:46PM GMT
Surnames: Fleming
Hello Annie,

I have not heard from Janie for a long time. I would be keen to know more of the info you may have on John Fleming of Northern Ireland. You did post something recently stating that you had more info to share.

I have an interest in Tyrone Flemings as that is where my
lot came from.. and am looking for kin connections
Janet of oz

Re: John Fleming Northern Ireland

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 12:49AM GMT
Surnames: Armstrong, Harrison, Vaugh, McVaey, Irwin, Wilson
I just found 2009 message of Annie Crenshaw and 2012 message of Janet of Oz regarding Edward and Margaret (McFadden) Armstrong. I have data re their son David Wallace Armstrong married Mary Jean Harrison, born in Ireland. My interest is Mary Harrison who, with her sister, came from Ireland to Canada then to the US. Somehow these Harrisons were related to the Vaughs.

David Wallace Armstrong was born 8/15/1844 in Westville, Franklin, New York: died 9/18/1933 in Malone, Franklin, New York. Mary died in Malone also. He sister died in Massachusetts. Jim

Re: David Wallace Armstrong & Mary Jean/Jane Harrison

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 1:51AM GMT
Surnames: Armstrong, Harrison
Jim,

It's great to hear from you and I'd be glad to trade information about the Armstrongs and Harrisons.

The David Armstrong family came from Pomeroy parish, Co. Tyrone, Ireland. Do you know where in Ireland the Harrison sisters came from?

We found some of our Armstrongs in the Drouin Collection of Quebec Vital & Church Records:

Russelltown (Methodist Church & Presbyterian Church) - 1845

David Wallis son of Edward Armstrong of the state of New York, Farmer, and of Margaret his wife was born the Twenty Seventh day of August in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty four and was baptised this the eleventh day of January one thousand eight hundred and forty six in presence of the subscribing witnesses, by me,

M. McDonald, minister.
Witnesses: Benjn. Douglas, Alexr. Young.
------------------------------------------------------------
and in newspaper abstracts:

Huntingdon, Quebec - Gleaner Extracts 3-8-1934

Mary Jane Harrison, widow of the late David W. Armstrong, died at Malone New York, age 69 years. Mrs Armstrong was born in Ireland and came to this country when she was 17 years old, first settling at Toronto Ont. and later in Westville New York. 43 years ago she was united in marriage with David W. Armstrong, and they made their home in Westville New York, until their removal to Malone 21 years ago. Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Carl Ross, of Eagle Rock, California, Mrs. Wendell Blackburn, of Yonkers, and Miss Bessie Armstrong of Malone New York, two sons, Pierce Armstrong of Detroit MI, and Floyd W. Armstrong of Malone New York, one sister, Mrs. J. C.Dias of Haverhill MA, and five grandchildren, her husband passed away six months ago in September of 1933, funeral was held Saturday at her late home conducted by the Rev. Wilbert F. Clark, pastor of the Methodist Church, Interred at Morningside Cemetery.

------------------------------------------------------------
Please write me directly as well as posting on this message board. It would be great to find descendants of David Wallace Armstrong and Mary Jane Harrison.

Annie
email: anniecrenshaw at centurytel.net

Armstrongs, Harrisons & Vaughs from Ireland

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 7:47PM GMT
Surnames: Armstrong, Harrison, Vaugh
Jim,

I've been trying to respond to your email about David Wallace Armstrong & Mary Jane Harrison of Franklin Co., NY, but the messages bounce back "undeliverable." Maybe you have a spam-protector that won't allow unknown email addresses to send you mail? Please check and let me know.

Annie
anniecrenshaw at centurytel.net

Re: David Wallace Armstrong & Mary Jean/Jane Harrison

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 2:31PM GMT
Surnames: Armstrong, Harrison, Vaugh
Jim,

I still can't get an email message through to you. Your AOL mail program/server must have a spam protector that's kicking out my Centurytel address -- so I'm posting to you again on the message board. Please do check your settings and see what's blocking my messages from reaching you.

With the Harrisons and Vaughs of Franklin Co., NY both being from County Leitrim (as your Ancestry tree reflects, and your research and Doug Vaugh's research shows), and the Franklin Co. Armstrongs described by Arthur W. Armstrong in his 1959 family booklet: "Where We Fit In" as: "Our branch of the Armstrong family had its beginning in Ireland in the counties of Tyrone, Leitrim and Belfast" -- then surely we have more connections in County Leitrim than we've yet uncovered.

These messages really need to be on a board more pertinent to their subjects (not Huntindon County). I'll re-post to several other boards.

Annie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions