Search for content in message boards

Randolph Land

Randolph Land

Posted: 11 Apr 2007 10:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Searching for burial site of Randolph Land. Died Feb. 21, 1904 in Monticello, In. First wife was Judith Crouch second was Martha Allender. I beleive Judith Crouch Land died in Monticello as well.

Re: Randolph Land

Posted: 13 Apr 2007 1:02AM GMT
Surnames: Land, Crouch, Wickersham
Hi,
Randolph and Judith Land are buried in the Old Monticello/Rowland Hughes/St. Mary's Cemetery in Monticello itself.
They are listed next to the driveway in Row 3:
Land, Randoph; b 8/25/1827; d 2/21/1904
Land, Judith (same stone)b 4/18/1829; d 8/6/1883
They are the only 2 of a "Land" surname in this cemetery and in the White County Master Cemetery Index.
Their daughter, Eva Viola Land and her husband, Job Wickersham, are buried in the newer Monticello cemetery, Riverview, in East Monticello.
I have a little information on the Crouch family, gleaned from census & history book info, if you have need of that. I don't know anything further about Randolph Land, other than his father's name was stated as John Land, and I have his children's names by Judith.
Please let me know if you would like the Crouch (and I also have Wickersham) info.
Diane Beyers McInnes
Delta, British Columbia

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 10:31PM GMT
I think I have figured some of this out. As you can tell by my name I'm tracking the Land's. Randolph and his sister Mary Jane married a brother and sister. Her husband James Crouch died in the civil war. In 1900 she was living with Cornelia Crouch and her grand childrenin Monticello. Her son died in 1900 and the rest of the household in 1905. Not sure about Mary herself but I don't find her in the 1910 census so I can only asume that whatever took the rest of the family took her also. Would you have any information on this and where she might be buried?
Thanks

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 1:09AM GMT
Surnames: Land, Crouch, Hughes
Hi Gregory,
There is no listing for a Mary J. Crouch in White County Cemetery Master Index. In 1900 census it states that she had 4 living children at that time, so perhaps she went to live with one of them after her son, Henry C. and Cornelia and his children died in 1905 (I wonder what of? Perhaps TB, noting that Henry had gone to AZ (my)presuming for lung-related issues; "lungers" lived in tents on desert in NM and AZ in early 1900's). A search through newspaper obituaries in 1905 may shed some light. I note that Henry C. was born in Jefferson Co, IN-any of his siblings remain in that area that Mary Jane may have gone to?
I am copying a couple of history book entries about Henry C. and Cornelia (Hughes) Crouch. They are buried at Old Monticello Cemetery also, among the Hughes family whose family plot, I believe, it was originally (another name of the cemetery is the Rowland Hughes Cemetery - Rowland was Cornelia's father, one of White County's early settlers).

History of White County, IN by Hamelle (1915); pg 446:
"Henry C. Crouch, for many years a well-known business man of Monticello, died at Phoenix, Az, Feb 24, 1900, where he had gone to recover his failing health, and his remains were brought to Monticello for burial. He was born in Jefferson Co, IN, Aug 11, 1850, came to Monticello in 1872 and took a position as clerk in the store of Rowland Hughes, whose daughter Cornelia he married in May, 1876. To them were born 3 children. One died in infancy and two, Henry C., Jr. and Bernice, with the mother, survived him, but within less than 6 yrs from his death the entire family were taken. Bernice married Mark G. Nicholson, of Tipton, IN, and died in a short time thereafter. Henry C., Jr., died 6 weeks prior to her death, and her infant child died at its birth. The mother died prior to this time and the visitor to the old cemetery in Monticello will be shown a row of five graves which contain the entire Crouch family."

History of White County, IN by Hamelle (1915); pg 446:
Mrs. Cornelia (Hughes) Crouch:
"Mrs. Crouch was the daughter of Rowland Hughes and was born in Monticello, April 25, 1856. She was married to Henry C. Crouch in 1876. In connection with her mother, Mrs. Nancy Hughes, Mr. and Mrs. Crouch continued their residence in the old Hughes homestead and conducted the store connected therewith until the failing health of all compelled them to give it up. Her husband died in Feb, 1900, at Phoenix, Arizona, where he was temporarily sojourning for the benefit of his health. At her death she left 2 children, Bernice and Henry. The former afterward married Mark Nicholson. Both have since died, leaving no children. All are buried in the Hughes plot in the Monticello cemetery."

I am assuming that the James Crouch who married Mary Jane Land (thanks- I didn't have her maiden name noted) is the oldest brother of Judith? Another Crouch sibling, Jeptha, married Cornelia Hughes' sister, Sarah. Jeptha was very involved in stock raising and had a large enterprise in nearby Lafayette, Tippecanoe Co, IN.

Good luck in your search!
Diane
per page

Find a board about a specific topic