Search for content in message boards

Burk/Burke Ops Township.

Burk/Burke Ops Township.

Murray Burke (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2002 3:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Burk/Burke
Looking for any information on the following people Oliver and Catherine Burk Conc. 4 Lot 7 1839, Charles Burk Conc. 6 Lot 11, 1839, Nicholas Burk Conc. 8 Lot 19 , 1839, William Burke Conc. 10 Lot 25 1832. I believe some of these people relocated to Scugog Island in Ontario County in the 1840s. Anyone who has any information about any of these individuals I would much appreciate hearing from them. Waiting hopefully Murray Burke

Re: Burk/Burke Ops Township.

Posted: 8 Jun 2002 1:55AM GMT
Edited: 11 May 2003 2:58AM GMT
Surnames: White, Duck, Mailly, Simons, Whitty
St. Marys records show a Charles Burk having a son born on 28 February 1850 with a sponsor of Nicholas Burk. This may be a different Burk family if your Burks moved in the 1840s to Scugog Island.

Posted: 9 Jun 2002 1:20AM GMT
Surnames: Burk/Burke
Don Thanks for your reply re my recent enquiry Burkes in Ops township. Let me say first of all I am certain of nothing other than my greatgrandfather was born abt. 1832 married a woman named Margaret Fairweather about 1849to50 and had a son in 1851 possibly in 1850. Margarets family lived in Bowmanville and area and her father had property on Scugog Island next store to a Charles Burk according to the 1851 Agricultural lists. By 1861 census the family was living in Bowmanville. charles was a carpenter. At this point I do not know the name of Charles parents and have some hints that he had an older brother Oliver about 17 yrs. his senior but it could have been an uncle. I assumed my Charles must have been living in Scugog island area in order to have courted Margaret and subsequently married her but this may not be the case. Any information re the mother's name of this child etc. would be a big help. By the way what is the St. Mary's you refer to? Thanks again for your assistance. Regards Murray Burke

Posted: 9 Jun 2002 2:03AM GMT
Edited: 11 May 2003 2:58AM GMT
Surnames: White, Mailly, Whitty, Duck, Simons, McHugh
Patrick Burk was the sons name. The mother's name was Rose Hoey. The record states they were from Ops. The other sponsor was Margaret Brady. The St.Mary's I referred was St. Mary's Catholic Church in Lindsay. The information was on LDS film #1305530. One of the photocopies I made had them on it. May not be the right family, but with both Charles Burk and Nicholas Burk in the same paragraph I figured it may help you.

Posted: 9 Jun 2002 2:09PM GMT
Surnames: Burke/Burk
Thanks again but there does not seem to be any connection. The other names don't ring any bells and my Burkes were not Roman Catholics so my search goes on. It is a help however to be able to remove possibilities from my list. Regards Murray Burke

Posted: 1 Aug 2002 12:26AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2003 2:25AM GMT
i have a nicholas burke from lindsay who married into the driscoll family.
they are buried at st marys in emily township which is lindsay
men in those days changed relgion to marry the women they loved such as i did,to some it meant nothing

they are in plot 212 at st marys also the burke family is also related to the meagher family

norm

Posted: 1 Aug 2002 2:01AM GMT
Norm Thanks for your reply and I am adding this to my file. Frankly all I know about my grgrandfather Charles Burke is that he was born in Canada about 1832 and both his mother and father were also born in Canada. On the 1851 Agricultural lists he appeared to be on Scugog Island and in 1861 he was residing in Bowmanville with a wife and five sons. He is listed as a carpenter. I have no idea if he had brothers and sisters although that would seem likely. I also am having great difficulty in finding his parents names. Thus any Burkes in that area could be part of his family at this point I have no way of knowing. Thanks for your input every bit helps. Murray

Posted: 28 Aug 2002 8:36PM GMT
hi murray:
i was just up in lindsay ont and was at the burke-driscoll gravesite to look up the wifes relatives.
nichloas burke married ellen maud driscoll from ops
in the lds files it states beautimer which is wrong.i found this info in an old lindsay newspaper at the lindsay libary.
there are many relations of burkes still living in lindsay.
i am waiting for microfilm from lds for 1850 to get more info
hope this helps for now

Posted: 28 Aug 2002 8:36PM GMT
hi murray:
i was just up in lindsay ont and was at the burke-driscoll gravesite to look up the wifes relatives.
nichloas burke married ellen maud driscoll from ops
in the lds files it states beautimer which is wrong.i found this info in an old lindsay newspaper at the lindsay libary.
there are many relations of burkes still living in lindsay.
i am waiting for microfilm from lds for 1850 to get more info
hope this helps for now

Posted: 28 Aug 2002 9:50PM GMT
Norman Thanks for your information. I am awaiting some assistance in MI. where my grgrandfather Charles Burke died. I need to get his death certificate to hopefully get his parents names which would help bring things together. Regards Murray Burke
per page

Find a board about a specific topic